Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the BMW 220D is gone and my wife took delivery of her M3 LR this morning, so that’s it, all electric now.

My ID.3 is looking on at the sleek blue interloper, and hogging the charger spot, hopefully there’ll be no charging fights!

I’ve only had a quick look around the Tesla, but it looks very well built as far as I can see. Had a quick drive as well, the acceleration is LoL quick, and it only took me a few minutes to work out where the main controls were on the screen.

Noticed a couple of bugs on the interface already, if it was the ID.3 people would be slating it, but I’m starting to think that these complex software based EVs will always have small issues.

A nice pair anyway, ooh matron...

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’ll also have to get used to people asking why you’re driving your wife’s car. ;)
I know it probably sounds strange in these days of tribalism/brand loyalty/brand bashing, but I like them both.

I think they both have merits as EVs with things they do well, and things that could no doubt be better, and to be fair my ID.3 has been largely trouble free.

They’re both a demonstration though of how EVs can replace your ICE car whatever your preferences. 👍

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s commendable, just don’t let them try and breed. OK?
Blimey, I’d not thought of that possibility I must admit!

Both having type 2 sockets means they’re not ‘compatible’ though, right?

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
199 Posts
I know it probably sounds strange in these days of tribalism/brand loyalty/brand bashing, but I like them both.
Why shouldn't you? As EVs they are streets ahead of the ICE alternatives. It's childish to rail into one make over another while the majority of the world is still burning oil.
Get all the ICEs into museums and then start prattling about Tesla vs everyone else.
(Mine's an e-tron 50. Mediocre range, dire efficiency - still utterly brilliant!)

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
I'm just waiting for a car to replace my Q7 to become an all electric household. Issue I have is that there is only one 7 seater worth considering (Model X) and that is a ridiculous amount of money. Perhaps an Enyaq 80 would help me to stop carrying grandparents around!

I was in local VW dealership yesterday getting a granny charger and the ID.4 and ID.3 they had outside made all of the other cars around them look like antiques.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in local VW dealership yesterday getting a granny charger and the ID.4 and ID.3 they had outside made all of the other cars around them look like antiques.
I know what you mean. I’m 7.5k miles and nearly 4 months into my ID.3, but when I picked it up on Monday after a week at the dealers for the software update, I was still excited to get it back.

A petrol T-Roc rattled out of the handover area as I was waiting for mine to arrive, and it seemed like yesterday’s ‘thing’ as did the Golf 8 courtesy car I’d had. I’d honestly have had my old e-Golf back over driving the Mk8 in petrol guise.

If the dealer staff can’t get excited about electric vehicles after being around the ID.3 and 4 for a while, then VW dealers deserve all they get.

I am a VW fanboi though, I make no apology for that, but I don’t excuse poor service or things not working either!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Awesome, we've been all in for about two years now. Leaf & e-Golf and now Leaf & ID.3, our daughter is about to turn 17 so she'll be getting the old leaf and my partner will upgrade to something like a Honda-e or Fiat 500e I think so we'll be tripled up. I imagine the leaf will be hogging the charging spot the most.

As you've said it makes petrol cars seem so outdated. Even friends, family and neighbours pull up outside sounds horrendous.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice going, as we've been 'all in' (albeit with one leaf) since 2014 I do enjoy it when others catch up ;)
Come on though, allow me some smugness, my leaf can’t really compete with the cars you've got!

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My neighbours have a Mk1 Leaf, they went single car a couple of years back, they’re the inspiration!

We’re very fortunate that the stars have aligned and we’ve got two new EVs. I almost didn’t post this in case it was seen as a bit of a ‘brag post’... 🤔

·
Registered
335 Posts
Brilliant and we'll be all in as soon as the Fiat 500e arrives (April now). My change from the GTE to the iPace has been seemless and I must confess I will be wholly jealous of my wife's car when it arrives. Photo of them both to follow........

·
Registered
462 Posts
My neighbours have a Mk1 Leaf, they went single car a couple of years back, they’re the inspiration!

We’re very fortunate that the stars have aligned and we’ve got two new EVs. I almost didn’t post this in case it was seen as a bit of a ‘brag post’... 🤔
No, I didn’t see it like that, its a great move for anyone to drop old fashioned combustion vehicles completely. I was just having a friendly dig!

·
Registered
67 Posts

I think they both have merits as EVs with things they do well, and things that could no doubt be better, and to be fair my ID.3 has been largely trouble free.

They’re both a demonstration though of how EVs can replace your ICE car whatever your preferences. 👍
It'll be interesting to know in the future which you would buy if you could only own one taking into account the £10k or so price difference.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
580 Posts
Very nice, I wonder which one you'll end up preferring over the long term but as has already been said any EV is lightyears ahead of an ICE.

A bit OT now am I the only one wondering what's growing in the polytunnel, and does it pay for the EVs :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It'll be interesting to know in the future which you would buy if you could only own one taking into account the £10k or so price difference.
The real world price difference is nearer £20k! That doesn’t mean much if you’re not buying outright though I suppose.

One thing the ID.3 does win on are the headlights, the Tesla seems slow to auto dip, although by no means terrible. I got flashed a couple of times on my brief drive, something I’ve not had in the ID.3.

It does feel like a ‘special’ car the Tesla, definitely something I’d drive for driving’s sake, but then I did that with the ID.3 when I got it as well.

But anyway, not my toy, so I shall just be an occasional driver! 🙂

1 - 20 of 46 Posts