Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE
We are no longer looking for sites - Thanks to all contributors. [email protected]

We are still looking for RC sites in SE (Kent Sussex & Surrey).
We have some key areas missing including:
Chichester, Worthing/A27, Sevenoaks, Tunbridge, Canterbury, Herne Bay/Margate, Horsham, Gatwick, Crowborough,

The key is to get sites near major routes, with 3 phase power. It's not as easy as you may think.

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sevenoaks / Tunbridge (A21) gets a vote from me. Also more around the Dover / Folkstone neck of the woods for cross channel traffic?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sevenoaks / Tunbridge (A21) gets a vote from me. Also more around the Dover / Folkstone neck of the woods for cross channel traffic?
We're talking to Dover Port already so fingers crossed
Any sites up in Sevenoaks you can suggest?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The A3 is crying out for some charging infrastructure, and there is a distinct lack of destination charging on the coast for day trippers.
This is very true. I broached this with Mickey Toomey, top man at Toomey's of Southend and Basildon when I met him a couple of months ago and he seemed sympathetic to the idea, but I will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Dover canterbury and bluewater all good - and it may be too far west but Cartgate services on the A303 with a rapid would open up Devon & Cornwall , and it's a pleasant place to spend 30 minutes :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd like to see somewhere close to gatwick for those times when I want to fly away somewhere, or drop someone off / pick someone up from the airport. If I was going away slow charging would work but may be hard to manage (car left for 7 days etc) unless valet-managed. So a rapid close to airport would make sense. Then I could charge before coming home. They presumably have power.......

Of course this is less satisfactory for other people traveling around the region as it wouldn't make sense to attract traffic unnecessarily onto the airport

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
Gatwick is not too far from the Pease Pottage Rapids (9 miles by M23 or 7.5 through Crawley). Unfortunately for most people approaching from M25 direction it is 9 miles in the wrong way. Cobham and Clackett Lane are both about 25 miles in either direction heading back North on M25.. I agree that the airport approach roads are pretty clogged at times but if we have 3 or more EVs heading for the charger at the same time then clogged roads will be the least of their worries..

Also think that A3 in Surrey makes a lot of sense. One just off the main road in Guildford would pick up both A3 and A31 traffic. As well as traffic feeding in from A25,A281 and A323. Provides alternatives for Cobham or Aldershot & Farnborough.

Going into Sussex I suggest the junction of A272 and A24 at Buck Barn. Already some refreshment facilities.

West from here Midhurst would fill a Gap. Useful for the National Park visitors in the West. As Midhurst has no bypass then a town centre location would be logical.

On the South Coast itself the only Rapid Charger is in the dealer at Worthing. The alternative that has been previously mooted in Worthing is Lyons Farm. That section of the A27 is a terrible bottleneck and getting in and out of the retail park at busy times would be a nightmare. As an alternative how about one of the garden centres at Roundstone on A259. It is only a short link down the A280 from the A27 junction. It is easy for those travelling north south on A29 to make a diversion and drivers can avoid Worthing unless they are heading East after charging.

Brighton does not like cars whether electric or petrol and would be better served with destination charging (7kw) in the park and ride car parks. They have some 13A sockets near one Park and Ride but not much use. Membership designed for locals not visitors.

A better bet is Lewes. There are plenty of light industrial premises off the Phoenix causeway (lots of 3 phase power) and it is only a short walk into the centre of town or Cliffe High Street for a coffee while you charge.. Very tempted to suggest Harvey's Brewery but not until we have autonomous cars;).

Final suggestion for now is Maresfield Services at junction of A22, A272 and A26. It is accessible from many directions and has some refreshment facilities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,
OK great feedback and suggestions.
Here's our current projected site list (all TBC):
- Midhurst SDNP
- Hertsmonceaux (site confirmed)
- Bluewater (in discussions)
- A3 Guildford (site confirmed)
- Gatwick/Crawley (TBC) *no joy with airport
- Brighton ( North) - working with BHCC to join up existing chargers under one scheme.
- Lewes Phoenix!
- A27 /Lewes/Polegate area
- Dorking
- Runnymede

Working on:
- M20 Euro, Ashford, Medway sites, Tonbridge, Cobham, Reigate Hill, Worthing, Chichester, Rye, Dover, Sandwich

We are trying but no luck at:
A24 Buckbarn, A24 Horsham, Maresfield, Crowbrough,

Thanks will follow up (can you contact locally and pass on details?)
Turner contemporary in Margate might have 3 phase, and I will check with Herne bay pier - the pier trust are very green and keen to encourage visitors.
Hi @Nigel Jenkins (energise) , been thinking about this charger free zone in north east kent and wonder if the new drive-in macdonalds at monkton on the junction of A253 and A299 would suit. RCs would seem to work well with mickey dees and I guess they have 3 phase. The owner is a guy called Paul Croker

Nigel ([email protected])

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
As mentioned in person the roads aren't the best for access but we have sub stations and 3 phase at redhill aerodrome :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have emailed Stu Meades he is the person that decides bluewater no reply as yet

1 - 20 of 73 Posts