Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

401 - 420 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Anyone else find themselves using the forum way less since the update? Its so much harder to navigate and see whats going on im not bothering anymore.

Would be interesting to see the page hit stats before and after.
As mentioned in an earlier post, I have gone back to diyelectriccar.com where the forum can be read and already have plenty of chatter going on.
A proper platform which isn't cluttered with nonsensical icons, symbols and wasted space. This text box is only two thirds the width of the display area, I guess the rest is given over to blocked ads?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The Confirmed EV Events and Meetings ( https://www.speakev.com/forums/ev-events-meetings/ ) is now so far down the list of forums that anyone new to the site is unlikely to find it, yet an EV event is the type of occasion where someone thinking of getting an EV would be able to get information from users as well as information from dealers.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The Confirmed EV Events and Meetings ( https://www.speakev.com/forums/ev-events-meetings/ ) is now so far down the list of forums that anyone new to the site is unlikely to find it, yet an EV event is the type of occasion where someone thinking of getting an EV would be able to get information from users as well as information from dealers.
You need to pay the same or more than MG to get anywhere near the top of the list.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I wonder how far the traffic has fallen on this site as my daily alerts used to be numerous but now only number one or two.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'd think about 80% drop off. It's a shadow of its former self.

Why they don't use the advanced search feature which is in the cheap plugins is beyond me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd think about 80% drop off. It's a shadow of its former self.

Why they don't use the advanced search feature which is in the cheap plugins is beyond me.

That add-on is good, but it would be at least useful if the standard xenforo search was implemented instead of the cur down version there is.

The standard xenforo search allows searching in current threads or specific forums, titles or content, posts by specific user. xenforo has a default advanced search that allows searching by date. The addon you mention adds to that xenforo advanced search by allowing searches by exact text.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It's even worse then. Really doesn't say much for the quality of the IT support if they don't just turn the advanced search feature on and stop wasting time on their own search system.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's even worse then. Really doesn't say much for the quality of the IT support if they don't just turn the advanced search feature on and stop wasting time on their own search system.
It isn't actually turned off, it's just not obviously available in the user interface:

But you still cannot search within a specific thread using that. (ie filtered down to the thread you are currently looking at)

The actual default xenforo interface (style) is actually very good and user friendly with many features that are easy to find reasonably intuitively.

·
Administrator
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
How To Multi-Quote

Step 1
: Click the multi-quote icon at the bottom of each post that you want to quote.

Step 2: Scroll down to the text editor where you are going to write your post. Click "Insert Quotes".

Step 3: A small window will pop up for you to verify (or delete) quoted content that will be added to your post. Click "Quote messages".

Final Step: The quoted content will automatically be added to the text editor. Add your comments and click to post your reply.

Added Notes: You can multi-quote from more than one discussion thread in the forum. You can also simply highlight the part of the text you want to quote. A small popup will allow you to choose the multi-quote option using just the selected content.

- Cricket

·
Registered
624 Posts
I give up! As the 'developers' (and I use the word in it's loosest form) nearly 3 months on from when they first butchered it, and in spite of endless requests, point blank refuse to return this site to even a shadow of its former self with any sort of usable/useful search facility could someone please tell me how I can find a comment thread in the Kona sub forum I think that discusses chargers that work or otherwise (a bit like this site!) and which has a link to a google docs spreadsheet.

I have the original spreadsheet but I want to see some of the comments associated with it. I have tried any number of query combinations in the (pretty pointless) search box but have not got anywhere. I think that to be able to use this site in the same way as before one needs to combined talents of a brain surgeon, a rocket engineer and Mystic Meg and unfortunately I am just a normal human being.

@Admin perhaps you would like to enlighten us on when you are actually going to deliver on any of your 'promises' or even just explain how we can usefully search this site?

·
Administrator
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
I give up! As the 'developers' (and I use the word in it's loosest form) nearly 3 months on from when they first butchered it, and in spite of endless requests, point blank refuse to return this site to even a shadow of its former self with any sort of usable/useful search facility could someone please tell me how I can find a comment thread in the Kona sub forum I think that discusses chargers that work or otherwise (a bit like this site!) and which has a link to a google docs spreadsheet.

I have the original spreadsheet but I want to see some of the comments associated with it. I have tried any number of query combinations in the (pretty pointless) search box but have not got anywhere. I think that to be able to use this site in the same way as before one needs to combined talents of a brain surgeon, a rocket engineer and Mystic Meg and unfortunately I am just a normal human being.

@Admin perhaps you would like to enlighten us on when you are actually going to deliver on any of your 'promises' or even just explain how we can usefully search this site?
We are expecting the return of advanced search very soon.

We will continue to see weekly (approximately) updates that are largely based on member feedback.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Advanced search is back. :)

How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Simply enter your search word or phrase and click enter on your keyboard.

How To Access Advanced Search

If you have already entered your search words in the search bar but want to narrow down your results or choose to search only certain forum selections, click on “Advanced Search”.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from the scroll menu within search in forums.

If you prefer to go directly to advanced search, you can access it under the 3 vertical dots at the top right-hand corner of the community.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Posting Screenshots from a petrol-head forum on here is just naff. 0/10 for your post. If you can not even use forum screenshots what hope has this forum.

Good try, still misses the simplicity of the original.
When in a forum, the original defaulted to searching the "Current forum" this one requires picking the forum from a list of many and is usable on a PC with a mouse, on my tablet (a5) and I guess phones the chance of picking the correct one is small when poking with fat fingers;)

And the default jump to the search page before selecting advance is a downgrade from the original as well where the option box opened without doing a search first. the ... menu is just a multi-click pain.

I'll give it 3/10 (the previous version was 1/10) the original 9/10
Could do better

Dear admin the correct solution is to return to the previous interface and you will get more users and more posts. I for one definitely post less and read less as the forum is more difficult to use and navigate.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
@Spiny says it all for me.
They are using an ICE site example because my guess is the advanced search has been rolled out across all the forums they support.

I positively hate the new format and only drop by to follow the odd cyber mate.
For years the site has functioned as a very useful information sharing place to follow but do the new owners really know how much they have messed it up in the pursuit of money?
SpeakEV is now just another cash cow in someones portfolio.

·
Administrator
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #419 (Edited)
I created the tutorial before the new advanced search had been released here yet so I simply used screenshots from one that had it. The feature is rolling out across our sites.

We will continue to see improvements to the search features in future updates.

Edit: I updated the screenshots.

- Cricket

·
Registered
624 Posts
OK. So advanced search may still not be as good as it was before but it has enabled me to find the spreadsheet thread that I was looking for so it is a BIG improvement on what we had before (but still not as good as what we had before that!).

401 - 420 of 430 Posts