Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google, the corporation that puts it's consumers first, is to launch a "green option" for travellers based on all the spyware technology they have tracking your every move.

If it turns out as good as their suggested "cycling routes" it'll be a stinking pile of ****!
Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but encouraging more cars onto alternative roads doesn't fill me with joy.

Is this the future, where the technology giants want to control every facet of our lives and do people really care for such options. To me, it appears to be a cop out, shifting their needs to be more sustainable onto the "consumer" rather than making actual changes themselves.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,625 Posts
Agreed, although I see it as greenwashing as the details of the algorithm will not be published and most people will want to keep their Chelsea Tractors on the wide roads that they require. If the suggested routes add significant time to a journey people will just change their settings back to fastest route or use a different provider. I suspect that it'll be quietly dropped before reaching this country. :devilish:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which is why I’m going to buy a Diesel Land Rover - so I can use more green lanes.

Am I doing it right?
Which is why I’m going to buy a Diesel Land Rover - so I can use more green lanes.

Am I doing it right?
100%.
When I used to live out in the sticks the locals were the biggest culprits for ripping the nearby "green lanes" to pieces in their 4x4's as high as a skyscraper.
It was far easier to blame outsiders than look at their own wanton destruction of their backyard.....

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,826 Posts
It doesn't mention EVs but you can be sure if they add charging points, the CPO's who have paid them will receive preferential recommendations. I don't trust Google and the like, and hate being manipulated.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't mention EVs but you can be sure if they add charging points, the CPO's who have paid them will receive preferential recommendations. I don't trust Google and the like, and hate being manipulated.
Some of us, well me, still use a road atlas 🤣🤣
I have a plethora of A-Z's too from my days as a van courier.
Good god, I'm showing my age.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,826 Posts
21years ago I was provided with a PDA for work (precursor to the smartphone) and managed to install tom tom go on it.
It saved a vast amount of time trying to find client's addresses but the company wouldn't role it out across the other engineers, nor reimburse me the cost.

Otherwise I use AA Route Planner and then cross reference with Zapmap or CPS for charger locations.
I do also always carry a road atlas.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,625 Posts

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,112 Posts
I have a plethora of A-Z's too from my days as a van courier
My dad was a long distance lorry driver. His A-Z of London was so well used it was just a series of loose pages.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,826 Posts
The preparation is the fun part, I find.
Doing the actual driving is a pita.
Yes, can be, but depends where you live. Argyll was great, rural NE England good, anywhere this Easter and May bank holidays - avoid the roads and good luck finding an EV charger.

I find modern cars devoid of the visceral driving experience, particularly since the advent of electric power steering.
I wish I'd kept my 205 1.9GTI - it would be worth a pretty penny.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
172 Posts
Heh, I have the Dundee A-Z from when we moved up here pre-sat nav (and a national road atlas in the boot). Great for actually learning the roads and layout of a new place.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,595 Posts
Surely you can fold and refold an OS Landranger map with one hand like the rest of us (after suitable modification to the map of course)? ;)
Some of us had to fold and refold a quarter-mil chart at 100ft low level.

I'm sure our ex-Royal can manage it on his bike, no handed. :)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,625 Posts
No hands on the bike or holding and folding the map with his teeth? :eek:

It must be so much cushier in the back seat with a canopy to keep the wind off. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Google, the corporation that puts it's consumers first, is to launch a "green option" for travellers based on all the spyware technology they have tracking your every move.

If it turns out as good as their suggested "cycling routes" it'll be a stinking pile of ****!
Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but encouraging more cars onto alternative roads doesn't fill me with joy.

Is this the future, where the technology giants want to control every facet of our lives and do people really care for such options. To me, it appears to be a cop out, shifting their needs to be more sustainable onto the "consumer" rather than making actual changes themselves.

Thoughts?
Dunno,I have generally found Google excellent and I certainly rely on them for my navigations needs.
I think we are too quick to knock them and some other big companies purely because it's an easy popular dig instead of looking at this as a positive step in the right direction.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,595 Posts
Dunno,I have generally found Google excellent and I certainly rely on them for my navigations needs.
I think we are too quick to knock them and some other big companies purely because it's an easy popular dig instead of looking at this as a positive step in the right direction.
Always amusing to me when people complain about Google tracking them.

If people knew how government agencies can track people (when they want to), it would make their blood run cold.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,826 Posts
Always amusing to me when people complain about Google tracking them.

If people knew how government agencies can track people (when they want to), it would make their blood run cold.
i know they can, but they don't try to sell you something, or at least present you with unwanted ads. I don't believe Google does anything that they cannot exploit for profit - usually by charging businesses, who then pass on the cost to consumers.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,595 Posts
You don't have to use Google's applications.

Although they are free, so not sure how you expect them to keep the lights on?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts