Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a We Charge card with £500 credit bundled with my new ID.3. Apart from a link up with Ionity (their chargers are a rare sight in the UK), does anybody know if We Charge have any partners in the UK charging network? My dealer did not know. I fear this £500, which essentially I paid for buying the car, may prove to be pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Ionity is growing especially in Welcome Break and Extra motorway service stations around the UK. Especially for road trips in the future you may find it useful. For now though Ionity is your only option I believe.

VW also had some involvement in the installation of Pod Points at Tesco supermarkets, but they aren't part of the charging deal you are talking about, and are currently free to use anyways.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ionity is growing especially in Welcome Break and Extra motorway service stations around the UK. Especially for road trips in the future you may find it useful. For now though Ionity is your only option I believe.

VW also had some involvement in the installation of Pod Points at Tesco supermarkets, but they aren't part of the charging deal you are talking about, and are currently free to use anyways.
Thanks for that. I am not doing many long trips at the moment due to Covid 19, so I will indeed struggle to use all the bundled Credit. My current solution is a Granny Charger and Pod Point at Tesco. The Car Park length of stay has recently been extended to 3 hours, I am hoping this will work. I only took delivery of my ID.3 3 days ago. I have not needed to charge it yet. 150 miles, 60% remaining. It was fully charged on collection from the Dealer. Loving the driving experience, but the Infotainment system is currently slow to respond and music playback via Bluetooth is totally random! I can't wait for CarPlay to be enabled in the promised 2021 Q1 update! So far, a happy customer!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have no idea if it works, but the we connect app shows lots of other networks chargepoints and there was something about having access to 150 000 chargepoints across Europe (I think) when Ionity has a low number of 1000s. So, I think it'd be worth a go on other networks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried mine at a Polar fast charger at a local supermarket and it didn't recognise the card. I had my polar card, so it didn't matter.

I've heard the rumour that maybe either GeniePoint or Engenie may be signed up. There's a Genie Point rapid with AC option relatively close by. I'll try it there and report back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried mine at a Polar fast charger at a local supermarket and it didn't recognise the card. I had my polar card, so it didn't matter.

I've heard the rumour that maybe either GeniePoint or Engenie may be signed up. There's a Genie Point rapid with AC option relatively close by. I'll try it there and report back.
Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea if it works, but the we connect app shows lots of other networks chargepoints and there was something about having access to 150 000 chargepoints across Europe (I think) when Ionity has a low number of 1000s. So, I think it'd be worth a go on other networks.
I will give it a try at another network when the need for a charge is not crucial. I have had to input my credit card details 3 times now into the We Connect ID App so I am not full of confidence with the whole VW offering at present! Oh the joys of being an early adopter......

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've failed miserably to register my Elli card on the app. The app just says Oops there's been an error when I try to put my address in. The dealer wasn't able to offer any solutions. I've tried calling VW's IT support today and they are now looking into it. Looking at the Ionity charger locations I don't think I will use many if any of the bundled charging within a year.

On another note does anyone know if you can set a charge timer to make use of off peak electricity?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've failed miserably to register my Elli card on the app. The app just says Oops there's been an error when I try to put my address in. The dealer wasn't able to offer any solutions. I've tried calling VW's IT support today and they are now looking into it. Looking at the Ionity charger locations I don't think I will use many if any of the bundled charging within a year.

On another note does anyone know if you can set a charge timer to make use of off peak electricity?
I don't think you can yet set charge timer. I am in Ireland, hope to home charge for first time tonight.
Not a problem for me, never in bed before 12. Will set to 80% and plug in after 12. (Night time rate will soon be 11pm). I think charging software will be in 1st update. Bad of VW!

·
Registered
55 Posts

Did the problem arise when you tried to input your post code and have VW actually sent you the presentation box with your card and other goodies in it. I had loads of issues with when I sat down with with sales guy initially to set this up but when my card arrived it worked straight away.

If so close the app down completely and reboot (you've probably already tried this).

From the home page select the prompt to register your card and chose the basic card with the £0.69p/kWh cost on it. I can't remember exactly what comes next, but it's either a request for your address or a request for your card number (bottom right hand corner of your card)

Once that's sorted out it will ask you for your payment card details - in the unlikely case you manage to burn through the £500/2000 kWh allowance.

Once that's done (and you've agreed to their Ts&Cs) you should be good to go.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the problem arise when you tried to input your post code and have VW actually sent you the presentation box with your card and other goodies in it. I had loads of issues with when I sat down with with sales guy initially to set this up but when my card arrived it worked straight away.

If so close the app down completely and reboot (you've probably already tried this).

From the home page select the prompt to register your card and chose the basic card with the £0.69p/kWh cost on it. I can't remember exactly what comes next, but it's either a request for your address or a request for your card number (bottom right hand corner of your card)

Once that's sorted out it will ask you for your payment card details - in the unlikely case you manage to burn through the £500/2000 kWh allowance.

Once that's done (and you've agreed to their Ts&Cs) you should be good to go.

Hope that helps
The app has been updated in the App Store today. That may also help. There are 2 options now including the 1st Edition free charging offer.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks for the reply GTE imp, I was given the box with the Elli charge card in it when I picked up the car. I spent about 2 hours at the dealers trying every combination of address and post code that I could but just couldn't get it to accept them. Nothing has changed, so I didn't get as far as registering the card. VW support are looking into it, hopefully they will come up with a solution reasonably soon.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks, the way these things go the Android update might happen in a few weeks then, most of the time developers sort out Apple first, presumably as there are less compatibility issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The claim of 150,000 charging points across Europe seems a stretch!

Google translate on one of the We Charge web pages:
"With We Charge you can charge at over 150,000 public charging points in Europe. We Charge is negotiating with the providers of the charging infrastructure in order to offer you the best price. We Charge customers receive discounted access to the IONITY fast charging network, which is set up on European motorways and enables relaxed long-distance journeys thanks to the very short charging times."

Ionity has 11 live and 2 under construction in the UK. We can only assume negotiations might be ongoing but not concluded for UK charging networks. I did see on FB that some users in Ireland had managed to use their cards on networks other than Ionity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone managed to actually get a Wecharge hub (as opposed to Ionity) to work yet? Over the past week I have tried 3 - Bowerhill-Melksham, Langley, Hungerford, and all have failed. I have my WeConnect ID app; my pink/blue charging card that came in the gift box registered on the app; and a charging plan obtained through the app. Yet at the hub, the card is 'wrong card' or similar message. VW support in both Germany and UK have been willing but, in practice, not very helpful. I was told on email that Wecharge is only available in Germany. But that was countermanded a day or so later. The link to the Wecharge/Weconnect handbook on the VW UK page leads to a blank page. Not very impressive. And failing to deliver on the promised £500 credit note that was part of the sales package.

I will be trying again at a couple of Wecharge designated hubs in Swindon tomorrow. But more in hope than expectation ....

Any intel most welcome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've yet to locate a Wecharge charger location apart from Ionity, and not willing to travel the 43 miles for a charge at the moment. On iOS i have found the app very hard to use, having to zoom in before I can see any chargers. I have found this german site which when used with Chrome you can translate.

Unfortunately this does not seem to identify any sites other than Ionity in the UK as far as I can tell...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've yet to locate a Wecharge charger location apart from Ionity, and not willing to travel the 43 miles for a charge at the moment. On iOS i have found the app very hard to use, having to zoom in before I can see any chargers. I have found this german site which when used with Chrome you can translate.

Unfortunately this does not seem to identify any sites other than Ionity in the UK as far as I can tell...
We are in very similar positions @roadhawk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts