Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing my GTE (sob) to an all electric vehicle today. I renewed my We Connect subscription last November, so I contacted We Connect admin in an attempt to get some money back for the remaining two thirds of the subs year. No joy. A humourless female said that the cancellation period was 14 days from subs renewal. I pointed out that I wanted the product until this point when I would no longer have a GTE to connect to. No joy. Should have cancelled within 14 days.
Has anyone ever managed to get their pro-rata part of their subs back from this organisation when they've changed vehicle?
Thanks
Silverback

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am changing my GTE (sob) to an all electric vehicle today. I renewed my We Connect subscription last November, so I contacted We Connect admin in an attempt to get some money back for the remaining two thirds of the subs year. No joy. A humourless female said that the cancellation period was 14 days from subs renewal. I pointed out that I wanted the product until this point when I would no longer have a GTE to connect to. No joy. Should have cancelled within 14 days.
Has anyone ever managed to get their pro-rata part of their subs back from this organisation when they've changed vehicle?
Thanks
Silverback
Good luck here as I found out to my cost with VW Roadside Assistance you can't transfer to replacement vehicle, VW Service plan remains valid for vehicle for which purchased and can be transferred to new owner; however V5 no longer lists previous owner so probably only applies to private sale. VW Extended Warranty can be reimbursed for remaining complete months, but time administration fee factored in 5 months remaining magically worked out as 2 pro-rata.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They won't refund you but We connect is transferable. So the new user just needs to set it up and it will continue the subscription in their name

·
Registered
32 Posts
They won't refund you but We connect is transferable. So the new user just needs to set it up and it will continue the subscription in their name
Ah, that may explain why the salesman never even mentioned that there’s a subscription cost. I must be using the last owner‘s allowance.
How long is the subscription for, I assume annually, & how much is it please?
Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ah, that may explain why the salesman never even mentioned that there’s a subscription cost. I must be using the last owner‘s allowance.
How long is the subscription for, I assume annually, & how much is it please?
Thanks.
First 3 years is included with the car, then its £55 for one year and £85 for two years.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Honestly it's under £4 per month if you buy it upfront for two years, which for mobile connectivity isn't too bad -- you're essentially buying a SIM card connection for your car, plus all the infrastructure on VW's side.

The question is going to be how long will automakers support their older cars -- say in 15 years will a Leaf or GTE still be able to buy app connectivity or will that go away as servers go dark?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly it's under £4 per month if you buy it upfront for two years, which for mobile connectivity isn't too bad -- you're essentially buying a SIM card connection for your car, plus all the infrastructure on VW's side.

The question is going to be how long will automakers support their older cars -- say in 15 years will a Leaf or GTE still be able to buy app connectivity or will that go away as servers go dark?
Tbh the 2G network that they use will end sooner than 15 years. I hope they release an retrofit kit to upgrade to a more modern communication system before that. Otherwise it might be considered as
planned or programmed obsolescence.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
2G will actually continue for some time, there are lots of devices that rely on it such as emergency comms, street lighting (before LoRaWAN and other protocols became commonplace) and vehicle tracking. Oddly it's more likely that 3G will be discontinued in the near future instead as there is relatively little infrastructure dependent upon it. I don't know if the GTE uses 2G or 3G but given the app is relatively slow to activate functions I would say 2G is more likely.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks
Silverback
I didn't manage to get subs refunded. But there were a couple of times when the car inexplicably got removed from my account after renewing. I managed to get them to extend my subscription by the length of time I didn't have access to e-manager via We-Connect.

·
Registered
296 Posts
@Silverback I tried also and didn’t get anywhere. They said that it wasn’t refundable but could be transferred. My GTE is currently for sale in a BMW dealership in the midlands, I can keep an eye on it 😜.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts