Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the android version of the app and have managed to enter the VIN number of the car which is currently shipping.

I think I need to be in possession of the car in order to complete the activation although it's not 100% clear from the app as it results in an error message "oops, an error has occurred" if I click to continue the activation.

I have ordered a We Charge card via the app so lets see if it turns up.

App has crashed a few times and it's a bit slow, sometimes it presents a blank white screen.

I must say initial thoughts are that it is consistent with expectations i.e. not expecting it to work reliably...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your car will certainly need to be online to complete the app set up - and it probably isn’t at the moment!

From memory think you also had to scan an in car code to confirm ownership/possession...

Reactions: loggamatt

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
577 Posts
Yes you will need the car before you can complete the pairing.

We Charge cards are fairly useless unless you have a 1st Edition car as they came with £500 credit - once I've burned through that I doubt I'll keep the card. If you do use it, these are the partners whose chargers it works with:

IONITY
Charge Point Services Ltd
New Motion
Osprey
Elmtronics Ltd
ESB Group
Alfa Power

You pay a We Charge premium over and above the providers' regular rates - for example Osprey is usually 36p but that becomes 45p with We Charge.

And the app is pretty basic at the moment, plenty of scope for improvement.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Stu is right, you scan a QR code on the screen in the ID.3 to complete the app set up. It's actually quite a nice little process to do it. I know VW are getting a lot of stick for the software, but there are lots of things like this that they did right in my opinion.

Biggest bug I find in my app is that the predicted range is all over the place. I have 80% charge on my ID.3 now, and sometimes I check the app and it says that equals about 90 miles of range, other times that it equals over 160 miles of range. This is without driving the car between checks, so isn't the usual GOM recalculating thing. So, that's a bug, but not the end of the world. SOC is more important to know, and that is right.

We Charge is useful if you want to use Ionity, and sign up for one of the two paid tiers (one of which is actually free, and the other discounted for the 1st year for new ID owners!)... brings the price down significantly from their normal eye-watering cost. Depends on whether Ionity locations are at convenient places for you or not... worth a check on Zap-Map though (Beaconsfield Ionity not on Zap-Map yet, but sounds like it's coming very soon).

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
Biggest bug I find in my app is that the predicted range is all over the place. I have 80% charge on my ID.3 now, and sometimes I check the app and it says that equals about 90 miles of range, other times that it equals over 160 miles of range. This is without driving the car between checks, so isn't the usual GOM recalculating thing. So, that's a bug, but not the end of the world. SOC is more important to know, and that is right.
I think the GOM alters depending on outside temp as well.

I parked my car up last Friday night after a 40 mile round trip in -4c temps, and once recharged to 80% it reported 129 miles of range.

Just checking it tonight, car not moved but temp now +8c, and it’s 150 miles at 80%.

As ever though, the GOM means not a lot when you haven’t moved anywhere.

The e-Golf used to vary too, but the movements weren’t as big.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think the GOM alters depending on outside temp as well.

I parked my car up last Friday night after a 40 mile round trip in -4c temps, and once recharged to 80% it reported 129 miles of range.

Just checking it tonight, car not moved but temp now +8c, and it’s 150 miles at 80%.

As ever though, the GOM means not a lot when you haven’t moved anywhere.

The e-Golf used to vary too, but the movements weren’t as big.
Still a bug though, either way. When I went to bed the app showed I had 160 miles on an 80% SOC, and now I wake up it is just over 80 miles on an 80% SOC. That's clearly not desired behaviour for the GOM based on a temperature drop of a few degrees.

As I say, not a huge bother for me as I don't pay a lot of attention to the GOM at the best of times, but bugs should be fixed nevertheless. It might also confuse owners new to the EV world for it to fluctuate that wildly beyond the normal GOM fluctuations you learn to ignore/live with in EV life.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
Still a bug though, either way. When I went to bed the app showed I had 160 miles on an 80% SOC, and now I wake up it is just over 80 miles on an 80% SOC. That's clearly not desired behaviour for the GOM based on a temperature drop of a few degrees.

As I say, not a huge bother for me as I don't pay a lot of attention to the GOM at the best of times, but bugs should be fixed nevertheless. It might also confuse owners new to the EV world for it to fluctuate that wildly beyond the normal GOM fluctuations you learn to ignore/live with in EV life.
Yours does sound like a bug, yes, mine is still saying 150 this morning with the temp at 9c.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stu is right, you scan a QR code via barcode reader online on the screen in the ID.3 to complete the app set up. It's actually quite a nice little process to do it. I know VW are getting a lot of stick for the software, but there are lots of things like this that they did right in my opinion.

We Charge is useful if you want to use Ionity, and sign up for one of the two paid tiers (one of which is actually free, and the other discounted for the 1st year for new ID owners!)... brings the price down significantly from their normal eye-watering cost. Depends on whether Ionity locations are at convenient places for you or not... worth a check on Zap-Map though (Beaconsfield Ionity not on Zap-Map yet, but sounds like it's coming very soon).
Waiting for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts