Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
EGolf
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d give We Connect app a go, all fairly straightforward to set up and use. I connected the car to my home Wi-fi and it seems talk to the app though I’ve not tried any communications whilst charging as yet as I don’t need to charge daily. A couple of things, my car comes up as e-GOLF COMFO 100 E1F, what’s the COMFO?
Also the small print in the confirmation email stated that if the contract period of your mobile online service has expired you can extend it bla bla. This is the onboard sim I assume and without this extension you can’t communicate with the car whilst your away from home. It goes on to say the 2g/3g networks that car-net (?) use will be gradually switched off from 2020 onwards :unsure:

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,733 Posts
COMFO stands for Comfort Line which is a model designation in some countries.

The original car-net agreement lasts for three years, then you have to renew it. It communicates with the car via SMS messages. It’s interesting they say it will be gradually phased out, as the latest system uses a 4G data connection.

·
Registered
272 Posts
the key for frequencies is the word ‘currently’. 3G and 4G are currently allocated to specific areas of spectrum but they can be easily retuned to some extent, which is why the sale of certain areas can be sold off. For example 700mhz and upwards was bought by 4G operators for 2012 Olympics but actually wasn’t completed and so there is some 4G use but not loads. So while the 2G might be switched off, there’s still space elsewhere.

you can see the allocations on the Ofcom spectrum checker Ofcom Spectrum Map Page

·
Registered
EGolf
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The app seems to work quite well, i put the car on charge yesterday at home and used the app to monitor its progress from work. I had my doubts about the heated front screen as i cant see the electrical elements like i could on my last Ford Transit but activated it on the app and the ice melted so that does at least exist/work.

Im not sure if i will be able to communicate with the car when its not on my home wifi, but if as above the car-net agreement is 3 years then there is no reason why is shouldn't. I cant fault the car so far i must say :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thought I’d give We Connect app a go, all fairly straightforward to set up and use. I connected the car to my home Wi-fi and it seems talk to the app though I’ve not tried any communications whilst charging as yet as I don’t need to charge daily. A couple of things, my car comes up as e-GOLF COMFO 100 E1F, what’s the COMFO?
Also the small print in the confirmation email stated that if the contract period of your mobile online service has expired you can extend it bla bla. This is the onboard sim I assume and without this extension you can’t communicate with the car whilst your away from home. It goes on to say the 2g/3g networks that car-net (?) use will be gradually switched off from 2020 onwards :unsure:
You can edit e-GOLF COMFO to anything you like, I just deleted the COMFO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts