Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Northern Japan: We took a brand new 2019 high-spec, 100% electric Nissan Leaf and drove it just under 500km (310 miles) on an overnight canoe camping trip recently. A Nissan dealership here in northern Japan asked Hokkaido Wilds to take it on a two-night adventure. "We want you to put it through its paces on a real adventure weekend," the Sapporo Central dealership said to us. They asked, and we delivered. We took the 40kWh G-class Leaf, and topped two canoes for the entire journey. We also drove the car almost 75% of the way on 100km/h (60mph) expressways. Hence the battery torture test. In a nutshell - amazing car with all the room in the world, but oh how we wished for the bigger-battery 62kwh version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to make clear - we really liked the car. Masses of room for plenty of adventuring gear. Just wished we had been loaned the 62kWh version - would have made the charging less frequent.

Next time, we'll either use the 62kWh version, or travel at 80km/h, rather than 105km/h :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many times did you charge and what sort of charging speeds did you see?
For the trip from our home to the lake (212km), we started at 100%. We charged a total of 1.5hrs (three 30-minute charges), to arrive at the lake with 60% remaining. We were driving most of the trip at 105km/h. Charging was using fast-chargers (about 16kWh for a 30 minute charge).

There is one data point that we can use to simulate how much time we would have spent charging (versus driving) at different speeds. At one point, we drove 99km at 100km/h, and used 72% of the battery. Based on that, and taking into account drag force (which increases proportionally to speed), this is what I came up with.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
So you averaged just 30kW charging speed?

Presumably that means you were hit with #rapidgate?

At your average speed suggests that the journey was about 2 hours driving and 1.5 hours charging. Seems very much worst case with the extra drag but the charging problems are very disappointing in a car costing that much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were loaned the car by a Nissan dealership here in Sapporo City (northern Japan).

But yes, only about 30kW charging speed it seems. I had to look up #rapidgate. Interesting. It was indeed a bit disappointing - I was expecting a bit faster charging.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
We were loaned the car by a Nissan dealership here in Sapporo City (northern Japan).

But yes, only about 30kW charging speed it seems. I had to look up #rapidgate. Interesting. It was indeed a bit disappointing - I was expecting a bit faster charging.
I suppose you have no idea if the car had the software update. I don't know if Japan has been getting it. They were quite reluctant to give it in the US at first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, no idea. I'm going to get around to sending the dealership a link to our review soonish, so will ask about it then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts