Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from some threads where there was some discussion about using adapters and extension cables that allow cars that don't have the correct sockets to use the chargers...

I emailed Ecotricity to get clarification on whether or not they permitted this and this was their reply...

Hi Paul,

I can confirm that it is not permitted for users of the highway to find alternative and untested means to charge vehicles that are not designed to be compatible with the standard unit design.

Regards,

Joe Patel

New Ventures Project Co-ordinator

Telephone: 01453 761500
Email: [email protected]

Twitter:http://www.twitter.com/ecotricity
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ecotricity

I take from that reply that we must not use them. If you car does not have the correct socket already then you are not permitted to use the charger.

Of course this will be a disappointment particularly to Model S drivers that want to use CHAdeMO but it makes perfect sense to me from a safety point of view and also from a compatibility point of view because cars without a CHAdeMO socket are not guaranteed to be compatible.

Sorry to be the bringer of back tidings.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I dont think its will cause many Model S owners an issue given Tesla are not shipping the Chademo Adaptor anyway, however it may cause the roadster owners an issue who are using the modified cables

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
That's a bit of a leap isn't it? The CHAdeMO adapter is a tested (and apparently licensed) device that is designed to be compatible with the standard unit design.

This is more of a blow to Roadster users with hacked cables.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That's a bit of a leap isn't it? The CHAdeMO adapter is a tested (and apparently licensed) device that is designed to be compatible with the standard unit design.

This is more of a blow to Roadster users with *altered* cables.
In the interests of forum harmony... fixed that for you.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... I am not passing judgement in any way :) Just reporting what I was told and trying to make sense of it.

But if you read that as it is written it certain implies that as the Model S is...
not designed to be compatible with the standard unit design
Then regardless of what adapter is used the Model S should not charge using CHAdeMO on the Ecotricity Highway.

Not wanting to single out the Tesla... it implies that ANY car that does not have a CHAdeMO socket on the car should not charge on Ecotricity CHAdeMO chargers.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I was under the impression that the whole point of the Tesla Model S CHAdeMO adaptor was that it *had* been tested and approved (albeit not actually available yet - perhaps that's why, perhaps they're waiting for approval).

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I think
I can confirm that it is not permitted for users of the highway to find alternative and untested means to charge vehicles that are not designed to be compatible with the standard unit design.
is quite broad and doesn't discriminate against any kind of adapter, plug, cable, extension, widget of any type as long as it's "approved" in the UK I guess that means it's met European standards and approved for sale over here. It certainly doesn't mean vehicles that can't just "plug straight in" are not to use the Electric Highway, as @Mark Chatterley says above, if it did then I couldn't use their Type-2 chargers with my LEAF.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts

This is more of a blow to Roadster users with *altered* cables.
In the interests of forum harmony... fixed that for you.
And what is the name of the device being used to "alter" those cables?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Yep, we know this, but there's surely no need to go over that again. Hack, modification... semantics and a potentially upsetting debate. Let's steer clear please.

Point is, Electric Highway are saying that "alternative and untested means to charge vehicles" is not allowed, so whatever you call ANY non-approved/non-standard device Ecotricity are saying it's a "no go" on their chargers.

·
Super Moderator
7,448 Posts
Yep, we know this, but there's surely no need to go over that again. Hack, modification... semantics and a potentially upsetting debate. Let's steer clear please.

Point is, Electric Highway are saying that "alternative and untested means to charge vehicles" is not allowed, so whatever you call ANY non-approved/non-standard device Ecotricity are saying it's a "no go" on their chargers.
Well technically the quote is:
"not permitted for users of the highway to find alternative and untested means"

It doesn't say they're not allowed to -use- these alternative and untested means, just not find them. So with the dictionary definition of "find" being "discover or perceive by chance or unexpectedly." then you're ok to use it so long as you didn't discover the means yourself ;)

Reactions: Paul

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I suspect that there is little that Ecotricity can or will do to stop anyone doing this at the moment, but... having made the statement that it is not permitted: If the charger suffers any damage while an adapter is in use the user would find it hard to avoid liability for all repair costs and if the vehicle or anything else (including a person) was damaged while the adapter is in use the driver's insurance is unlikely to pay up.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts

It doesn't say they're not allowed to -use- these alternative and untested means, just not find them. So with the dictionary definition of "find" being "discover or perceive by chance or unexpectedly." then you're ok to use it so long as you didn't discover the means yourself ;)
Think that'd fall down in court, but I appreciate the point. ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

What about the next bit...

"...to charge vehicles that are not designed to be compatible with the standard unit design."

I think you ignored that.

@Flaninacupboard Don't blame me Edd... I just reported it and gave my interpretation. Other interpretations are available :) :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think you're all being very naughty in trying to find (yes, find) alternative definitions for their email: I think it's pretty clear. :confused:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
So the company whose cars are most affected by this statement, they are on good terms with Ecotricity, right?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts