Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: We need a complete map off all the charge points in UK, at the moment you need about 4 maps which is ridiculous, how can we go about pushing for this?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Open Charge Map seems to get all the kudos, but it feels poor to me when I try to use it. VERY good idea, and I love the concept, but it feels like a bit of a mess with the "average user" the last person on their minds.

Maybe something can be done to improve their design and implementation via a third party app, but I have read somewhere their terms are very restrictive, which discourages commercially viable third party development.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Do you mean the web app / web site? It works on my laptop, really iffy on my phone though. May be a good idea to compile a list of all EV map apps (vehicle specific and wider) and go from there.

If they're not GPS add-ons or mobile apps they don't seem to serve much purpose to me, aside from longer distance journey planning, however if you're doing a long journey you have no real indication if the charger(s) will be live and/or free to use when you get there.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
how hard would it be to pull info together and do one?

surely the three(?) key charge point companies would be happy to share their data?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally I would like a map just of Rapid Chargers, as that's all I would be likely to use away from home. Maybe any map of ALL chargers could be configured so that you can select All, Fast Only, Rapid only or something like that.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
This feels like it's something I should be doing more on. I have a big work contract on at the moment, but when I have some more time I will be looking at this much more closely, seeing as web and mobile is "what I do". :)

And welcome Freeman, glad to see you joining in here. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There currently is a rapid charge map being developed, I should know more tomorrow

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
There's a google map that I've seen, but it excludes the really important detail of what network/cards they support, which is one of my main bug-bears. Also clearly doesn't show if available or not.

People need to think "average user first" and they'll have a winner.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
There currently is a rapid charge map being developed, I should know more tomorrow
Did you learn anything interesting to share? Be good to see what folk are up to. I'd really like to try and do something in this area too, but at the moment I don't have the funds or time to dedicate to it 100%, which is a little frustrating for me to be honest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would so like to see one map, which was accurate. It seems that each map has some chargers, some are accurate, some are not...or not even there. I went around my area for an hour and a half yesterday in my new wee car and found one rapid charger, not yet commissioned at IKEA Edinburgh (will contact them tomorrow to find out when) but couldn't find one listed in a 'walled garden' in the Industrial estate 4 miles from home. I am glad it wan not a desperate search. A good composite map is essential.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Considerations for LEAF owners are just DC fast charge, but if you wanted to make it "multi-vehicle" it could get more complex. However, why have "multi-vehicle", surely people are just interested in charging THEIR vehicle, not knowing what charge points are around they can't use anyway?

Just a note, I've moved this to the charge/charging forum, as it can/could affect more than just LEAF owners. Left a redirect to keep it easy to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This seems very complicated. I think they need to stop this apparent VHS versus Betamax technology fight for the sake of all ev owners and the manufacturers. Then it would certainly all become easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts