Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are conducting research to understand how we can best make EV charging more convenient for all people. We would be grateful if you can take part and help shape the future of EV charging.

Follow this link to take part, and thank you for your time!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Try looking here. That and the questions tell you what you need to know.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Every time I hear "Connected" I think of duff apps on mobile phones with dodgy connections.
Simple answer, Bin all Apps and settle on contactless payment.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
"We provide an infrastructure solution that enables future communities through connectivity. Our smart cities platform integrates both power and data at kerbside to support electric and autonomous vehicles, and the application of advanced IoT technologies. Our vision is to create smart, sustainable and future-proofed streets for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers."

Dear gods - it's one of those corporate gobbledegook things. :eek:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Why the hell should he ? The OP person wants his research done for him on the cheap, and yet can't take the time to tell us a bit about himself and his company - f'ing cheek if you ask me, and why on earth are you defending him ? has anyone got any manners nowadays, or has "twatter" and "fakebook" changed the way humans brains work ?

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
"We provide an infrastructure solution that enables future communities through connectivity. Our smart cities platform integrates both power and data at kerbside to support electric and autonomous vehicles, and the application of advanced IoT technologies. Our vision is to create smart, sustainable and future-proofed streets for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers."

Dear gods - it's one of those corporate gobbledegook things. :eek:
I like how all this can be done through the development of an app. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone - thanks for your comments. Perhaps we should have provided you with a little more context, so my apologies. Connected Kerb operate as a combined infrastructure platform, which includes EV charging but also incorporates IoT technology, namely air quality (for live, localised air quality monitoring) and traffic sensors. Our solution also includes Wi-Fi, can support wireless / induction charging (pilot sites coming Q1, 2020), and is 5G and V-2-G ready. Our focus is on-street residential (we want to provide those without access to off-street parking, the convenience of home charging) and long-stay car parks; environments where dwell time is long. Our on-street charge points fix to existing street furniture, with the actually charger itself sunk beneath the pavement and only the socket exposed. We are conducting this research to understand how people currently charge and gather their views on what the future of charging should look like. We anticipate sharing our findings early next year.

Connected Kerb - our website should provide you with plenty of information, but if you do have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Connected Kerb team.

Attachments

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
741 Posts
How did we become so hostile? I know we get a chancer, marketer, or clueless student popping up every few weeks asking us to fill in their survey. That doesn't really entitle us to be rude. I think HandyAndy's response was appropriate and reasonable.

We complain that people like EH don't listen, and then round on people who give us an opportunity to give some input.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hostility is created by indifference and assumption - however, the new post above by the OP is now a perfect example of how it should be done - in the space of a few seconds, I've gone from "hater" to "investor" (possibly!) but definitely a fan. I just wish I knew what is happening to the human race that caused an obviously intelligent and rational person to not do the right thing first ? :cry:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Trying to figure out what the connector is on these.. is it some proprietary connector or Type 2 ?

It looks like there might be a solenoid operated shutter (?) that opens when you swipe your card, and then you what, insert your Type 2 plug at a 45 degree angle and rotate it ? Why ?

Somehow the scale seems wrong too and it doesn't look big enough to be a regular Type 2 plug, which are quite large.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Hmm, I see a utopian vision here, with lots of neat kerbside charging points. I think this will ultimately fail, sadly. It's going to be competing with locally supported schemes, e.g. Milton Keynes has lots of chargers already, so a high barrier to entry. Oxford is trialling a range of devices, including lamppost chargers. Fine when lamppost is right by the road as no cable trip hazard, but policy is to move lampposts to house side of pavement as that enables fire engines etc to get better access in our narrow streets. So trip hazard may increase. Future Evs will have greater kWh capacity & faster charging, so the refuelling process will get closer to petrol model, i.e. one quick trip to Rapid is me sorted for a week. I think we will see a large proliferation of different schemes, and gradually some will turn out winners. Wireless, anyone?

p.s. no offence taken by me, and hopefully none elsewhere. We are living in an age when info flows so quickly that there's huge pressure to get stuff out quick, and then update as necc later.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
the issue with kerbside is, that unless its in an EV reserved area with severe penalties for ICEing , the odds youll get a space by one will be very low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our system can facilitate wireless charging and we will be installing pilot sites from Q1, 2020. Our focus is long dwell time, so where people come home at the end of the day and plug in (as one example) - similarly to how you would charge your iPhone.

It is a standard Type 2 socket.

Many of you may be interested in reading an article we've published today.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Why is it that the people and companies that normally succeed, aren't the ones that can have such a sensible and human-centric way of thinking - I wish you good luck for the future - not that that means a lot, but it's a bit different to my first post in this topic (!)

Oh, and survey done

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Rapid chargers are also bad for EV batteries. The surge of power creates strain on the battery which reduces capacity over time (and secondhand value), and so weaken the financial case for EVs. Slow trickle charging preserves battery integrity for much longer.
Can you cite any reference for this ?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts