Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed excessive tyre wear on the front outside edge of the tyres. Inside edges are fine.

Our car has the 16" EV Eco Michelin tyres.

I have had 4 wheel tracking done by Renault & they said not only was it within tolerances but was equal either side so no real explanation. The tyre pressure were spot on too. They even confirmed with Renault that the tracking figures they had were accurate.

Has anyone else noticed this, because if so I will get the garage to raise it as an issue with Renault.

I have done a front rear swap & if the uneven wear continues they will raise the issue with Renault.

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I should state the car is a June 15 plate & has done 14,800 miles.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,674 Posts
Yes. I have the same tyres and the same wear as you've described! Blue Zoe (Nov 2015), 11k miles.

Odd, isn't it?

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. I have the same tyres and the same wear as you've described! Blue Zoe (Nov 2015), 11k miles.

Odd, isn't it?
The problem with the car having tyre pressure sensors is you get lazy & don't check your tyres as often as you used to so the issue gets worse before you pick it up.

My RHS tyre has actually worn smooth on the outside cm or so. Over the weekend I'll try & get a picture so we can compare notes!!

·
Zoe Devotee
7,634 Posts
Running stock 36psi? I found outside wore quicker than inside, but inside was still wearing faster middle of tyre. Solution? 40psi. Managed 20k on them, still legal in the middle at that point but outside and inside edge were smooth so time to change.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yep same wear. Renault said my wheel alignment was out. I don't know if that was a guess or not though. Registered Aug 2014. Tyres changed at 17000 but wear you described noticeable and picked up at 13000.

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Running stock 36psi? I found outside wore quicker than inside, but inside was still wearing faster middle of tyre. Solution? 40psi. Managed 20k on them, still legal in the middle at that point but outside and inside edge were smooth so time to change.
Exactly same as mine.

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sandy

Did you change all 4 tyres to Dunlops or just the front ones?

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,674 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine are as you've described: just the front tyres, just the out edge. Pics:

Attachments

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure mine are as you've described: just the front tyres, just the out edge. Pics:
That looks further inboard than mine (the wife has the car today so can't check), so the garage may be correct that your tracking was out.

My 'damaged' tyres are now on the back wheels so I may have fun trying to photograph.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,634 Posts
Id recommend same PSI all round.

I went for Dunlops on the front, the original Michelins are still on the rear, probably good for 40k.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
539 Posts
I noticed slight wear on the outside edge of both front wheels at ~17,000 miles, so I swapped them front to back just before its first MOT.

I have found that all my previous cars had a tendency to do this, as the front outside edge takes most of the cornering force. Swapping front to back evens out the wear so that all 4 tyres can be replaced at the same time, usually at about 30,000 miles for me.

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed slight wear on the outside edge of both front wheels at ~17,000 miles, so I swapped them front to back just before its first MOT.

I have found that all my previous cars had a tendency to do this, as the front outside edge takes most of the cornering force. Swapping front to back evens out the wear so that all 4 tyres can be replaced at the same time, usually at about 30,000 miles for me.
You are kinder on your tyres than me!!!

·
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id recommend same PSI all round.

I went for Dunlops on the front, the original Michelins are still on the rear, probably good for 40k.
Annoyingly, the front rear swap I have just done may not take the car to return mileage (expecting about 36000), if tyres reach critical point a month or so before return I may send it back, it will save 2 or 4 tyres, excess mileage as I will be over the contracted mileage on car & battery & save 3rd service inc a 12v battery.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just out of interest, all you guys that are doing tyre swaps, how are you doing it? When the time comes I'll want to swap front to back but the handbook says not to use a jack (no jack supplied with the car) and shows no jacking points and states that it should only be lifted evenly on a four post lift. Now I know everyone will probably say they are just using a jack, but when still under warranty and/or PCP, the powers that be will use any excuse to not fix or get some money out of us. You only need to look at the Ampera forum to see the damage that can be done when not following the rules on jacking. Just a thought.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,634 Posts
I said to tyre fitter who came to me there was no points mentioned in manual. he got down on the ground, stuck head under car and then pointed to jacking points.... there they are he said, clear as day.

·
ZOE Q210 Oct'13
539 Posts
I jacked it up on the suspension points using an axle stand on the rear before moving the trolley jack to the front. This would put no more strain on anything than going over a speed bump.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts