Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather conditions seemed particularly bad yesterday (Saturday 16th March) & I was on a longish trip from Essex (Stansted area) to Leeds and back. Here's my experience - if anyone else was out and about yesterday I'd be very interested in your experience. For me it was one of my first real long range trips and certainly in those conditions, so a bit of an eye opener in many ways.

I set off at 6am and conditions were slightly damp with a bit of spit here and there, fairly gusty (20-40mph, west-south-westerly). Around doncaster at about 10am, persistent rain set in and the wind continued. Thereafter, it rained pretty much constantly and the wind got worse, if anything.

In a nutshell
- I hadn't factored elevation changes in my route planning. It turns out there are some significant hills on the A1 between Peterboro and Ferrybridge!
- Crosswinds were more of a factor than I had expected
- Headwinds are unbelievable for energy drain
- Wind, rain & elevation together at the same time is challenging
- Tailing lorries really does help. A lot in those conditions
- By setting a target mpkwh for my route plan to be viable I was able to react to the problem fairly early and start tailing lorries :)

Probably those observations are not news to many of you! I think without tailing lorries much of the time, I think I would have had mpkwh efficiency of low 3s or even high 2s, which might have put Leg 2 at risk :)
My planning had assuming 3.6mpkwh which I had thought was realistic but hadn't accounted for all the variables.

Leg 1 - Home to A1 Peterborough Services: 59 miles, 3.7 miles/kwh. Arrived with 56% and charged up to 90% in 32 minutes. Highest power 41kW. Battery temp start 23.5, end 27.9
Leg 2 - to A1 Ferrybridge Services (M62), 97 miles, 4.0 miles/kwh. Arrived with 14% and charged up to 85% in 42 minutes. Highest power 43kW. Battery temp start 31.1, end 45.3
Leg 3 - to Leeds West, 18 miles, 3.6 miles/kwh. Arrived with 70%, reasonably hot battery (42.1C).
Parked for 4 hours. 68% on my return (where did 2% go?)
Leg 4 - to Worksop Bannatyne Instavolt (would have been Blyth Services but EH is broken), 50 miles @ 3.7 miles/kwh. Arrived with 22%, charged to 82% in 31 minutes. Highest power 46kW. Batt temp start 31.7C, end 44.0C
Leg 5 - to A1 Peterborough Services: 67.3 miles, 3.7 miles/kwh. Arrived with 21% and charged to 80% in 44 minutes. Highest power: 27kW [RAPIDGATE]. Battery temp start 41C, end 48.3C
Leg 6 - to Home, 57 miles, 3.4 miles/kwh. Arrived with 22%. Battery temp end: 45.4C.

Notes
- Set off with a full charge at 6am. Arrived Leeds at 11am and set off back at 3.30pm, arriving home just after 8.
- I only ran aircon to clear the window mist every so often in 20seconds bursts (perhaps once every 5-10 mins), heater was not used.
- I ran at 60 mph (speedo) much of the time (propilot). When behind lorries, average was probably more like 55.
- battery temp start/end refers to before/after charging, not the driving
- On leg #2 after 20 miles, efficiency was 3.0 miles/kwh and getting to Ferrybridge was looking uncomfortable (I had calculated I needed 3.6 to get there with 15%). I hypermiled behind lorries for much of the remainder and had pulled it back to 3.8 by the 60 miles mark. Despite being well ahead of 3.6 (ended up on 4.0 miles/kwh), I was still down below my guestimate that 3.6 would get me there with 15%, because I arrived with 14%. I put this mainly down to a lot of elevation changes on the route. Only the last 15 miles were particularly rain affected.
- legs 3, 4, 5, 6 were rain affected . leg 2 partially
- On leg 4, 5 especially (and some of 6) I used lorries to protect from the wind and try to keep the mpkwh up.
- on the last leg, I went faster once I knew for sure I had ample energy to get home. At the expense of efficiency !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mention rapidgate: have you had the update applied?
Not yet - booked in for later this week actually (y)

The dropoff accurately followed the model @Schoolboy put together, so I knew a slower one was coming so I wasn't too disappointed.
And I used the same table to know to try to keep temps below 32c on leg 4 so as to still get max power for that charge. Thanks @Schoolboy!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
All I can add is my drive from South London to Warwick Services. 114 miles.

Storm Gareth.

At 108 miles the range went from 1% to —-

Horrendous driving conditions.

Cold battery and charge rate was around 36kW.

Reactions: e_pedalo

·
@LemonTea_Leaf
121 Posts
Leg 5 - to A1 Peterborough Services: 67.3 miles, 3.7 miles/kwh. Arrived with 21% and charged to 80% in 44 minutes. Highest power: 27kW [RAPIDGATE]. Battery temp start 41C, end 48.3C
Good to hear you go back without to much drama. As for the rapidgate you mentioned if you had the update that would have been charging at 36-38kW I suspect I need to run some more test at some point. When i was at 38°c I was charging at 40-41kW.

As for crosswind at 40mph its kills your range for sure

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theoretically a 90° cross wind should have no net effect on range :)
Saw this debated elsewhere once. There was an opinion that turning into the crosswind (to avoid being blown away) means you're never really pointing your front wheels entirely forwards, with some impact to your efficiency. I'm no expert though!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Saw this debated elsewhere once. There was an opinion that turning into the crosswind (to avoid being blown away) means you're never really pointing your front wheels entirely forwards, with some impact to your efficiency. I'm no expert though!
I have flown a glider in a crosswind at almost 45° to the direction I was heading (landing in those circumstances is quite interesting). However in a car there is the friction of the tyres helping you - I've not noticed having to steer into the wind in that case.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have flown a glider in a crosswind at almost 45° to the direction I was heading (landing in those circumstances is quite interesting). However in a car there is the friction of the tyres helping you - I've not noticed having to steer into the wind in that case.
I really noticed it over the last few days up here in Cumbria. As soon as there was a lull, the car would steer onto the wrong side of the road or head for the ditch! Not only that, but the steering wheel was not straight, so much so that I commented on it to my wife a few days ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts