Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Canada.
A few people from Europe have purchased my open-source 3D printed or cast J1772 dummy inlet/"holster" to plug-in or 'park' the charge plug when not being used. This wall-mount cap keeps the bugs and dirt out of the EVSE.
I have recently began production of an injection molded version of the most popular model, which can hold a coiled cable too.

can be prevented.jpg
Face.jpg

• $25US each, plus flat rate $10 shipping anywhere in the world for any quantity below 5.
  • This unit is meant to both spool your cord and protect your plug!
  • Made from recycled plastic
  • Currently available in black only.
  • You can change quantity during paypal checkout.
  • Please contact me for volume pricing.
  • Based on my own Open Source design!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Hi @Joel it'd be nice if you introduced yourself rather than just your product.

Also, please update your signature to reflect your commercial interest, as per the forum rules on registration, also listed in the Site Feedback forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
These wall-mounted holsters are available from Pod-Point. Or at least they were because that is where I got mine.

They are a great way to keep your gun clean and dry and ready to use.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
I thought most home charging points came with something similar. My PodPoint did.
I would be horrified if anyone sold a UK tethered charger without one of these included! I don't think I have seen one that doesn't come with a "park" socket.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
324 Posts
I had one supplied with my PodPoint charger as well.

If needed, there is a UK source as well: type 1 or type 2 dummy holsters from the "store" our friends have at NuWorld Energy?

I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied cable customer. :)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Or you could source a type 1 or type 2 dummy holster from the "store" our friends have at NuWorld Energy?

I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer. :)
Interestingly this looks better than the NuWorld Energy version. However, I suspect that the holes in the unit may attract insects which would then get squished into the holes in the plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about my absenteeism, been busy at work.
You see, I am not a company with employees, I have a full time salary job which is completely unrelated to electric vehicles. I'm doing this plug thing by myself in a basement apartment.
In 2011, there were only 40 people in Canada allowed to buy a Nissan Leaf (first EV available that wasn't a Tesla). I was one of those 40.
I also have a 3D printer.. which is how I developed this plug and discovered a niche market for it.
Currently the plug is being manufactured at an injection molding facility, I have them ship directly to re-sellers in boxes of 100 units or more. I have a box of 100 that I have myself to ship to individual customers.
They are available from my website at $25 USD each, plus a flat rate shipping cost of $10. I don't think you need to worry about VAT if you are just buying 1 unit, I have never had any feedback about it. (one time someone asked me to indicate the price for customs to be $15) I read about those pod-point holsters, there are mixed reviews.

If you have ever seen a 3D printed chademo plug floating around the internet, that was also my design. But I don't sell that one... too much liability.

Reactions: Paul

·
Banned
961 Posts
I would be horrified if anyone sold a UK tethered charger without one of these included! I don't think I have seen one that doesn't come with a "park" socket.
Shows how new you are to EVs ;)

The original PodPoints came without them and only started shipping after @Paul_Churchley and others complained.

This was however way back in early 2011 - I think since then every EVSE has had a holster.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Shows how new you are to EVs ;)

The original PodPoints came without them and only started shipping after @Paul_Churchley and others complained.

This was however way back in early 2011 - I think since then every EVSE has had a holster.
My Pod point came without one in May 2013. I had to buy one from them, cost a fortune with outrageous postage and packing, but couldnt find anything else like it on the market at the time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm getting 32A Rolec tethered charger (hopefully) installed this week and was quoted £40 + VAT for the holster, (un) fortunately it was delayed so have now purchased Joel's at half the price including postage which looks far superior to Rolecs holster.. as well as the fact it seems to point diagonally downwards rather than straight out so will not stick out as far.. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts