Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the car in question

And this is what seems weird.

They have taken steps to obscure the licence plate, but as far as I can tell (from a reflection in the back bumper from the open boot photo) it is registered as.

LF16BYC

Tesla have it listed as a 2016 90D, but checking that plate indicated an 85D, not really a big deal, I have heard of warranty battery upgrades so that explains that. Also it's bit odd for a March registered 85D 16 plate to be facelifted, when according to this April 2016 report from Electrek, the facelift was still a badly kept secret.

But by far and away, the weirdest of all, is the fact that this car not only has the full Autopilot 2.0 hardware suite, but that it has full self driving, which indicates the hardware 3.0 computer, which is really amazing when you factor in that the hardware wasn't introduced until the very end of the year it was manufactured, and hardware 3 came out in 2019.

Obviously I'm aware that if it really was a hardware 2.0 capable car it could be upgraded to hardware 3

Does anyone have any idea how possible?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The plot thickens, according to Tesla-info.com the car was manufactured in Nov 2016 and registered in Feb 2017, making it a 66 plate, except it isn't, it's a 16 plate. Only think I can think is that plate was originally on a march 2016 85D, then was moved to this February 2017 90D and then it was sold with this plate. Really weird, why? And why is Tesla listing it as a 2016 vehicle when it's a 2017/66 reg?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,651 Posts
They have taken steps to obscure the licence plate, but as far as I can tell (from a reflection in the back bumper from the open boot photo) it is registered as.

LF16BYC
Please tell me how you get the car’s reg reflected in its own paintwork?

I think you’re winding yourself around your own axel on this.

What exactly is the ‘scam’ you think is going on here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right, that must be the reg from another vehicle parked close by. I didn't think A scam, just strange that a 16 plate had FSD, but it doesn't, cos (as you correctly pointed out) that ain't its plate.

Mystery solved.

You the man

·
Registered
647 Posts
I believe the reflected reg plate is of an adjacent car.
If it was the car being photographed, what is it reflecting from?
For it to look so clear, it would have to reflect from a flat surface like a showroom window or mirror, if it had double reflected from another car, I suspect it would be so distorted you wouldn't even be able to make out the rectangular shape.
My opinion is it's another car.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,651 Posts
You're right, that must be the reg from another vehicle parked close by. I didn't think A scam, just strange that a 16 plate had FSD, but it doesn't, cos (as you correctly pointed out) that ain't its plate.

Mystery solved.

You the man
So how do you know what the reg is?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
@Red2 I don't know what warranty these cars come with, but if you are contemplating buying that car, or indeed anything pre March '18, make sure that that the chip inside the MCU (the big screen) is covered. Even better if it has already been replaced.

It will fail, it's just a question of time. If you Google 'Tesla emmc chip failure' you'll get the picture.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think the problem is solved but on number plates I believe the only rule is you can't use a plate to make a car appear younger than it is, nothing to stop it looking older

Maybe "LF16BYC" is somebodys nickname and they couldn't resist buying the plate? :)

As the cars ia on Tesla, it will come with warranty

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice regarding the MCU, I am infact targeting a used 66 plate MS90D with AP2 hardware.
I'm looking to pull the trigger in about 6 months so right now I'm just doing my homework, things like trying to work out what a good deal looks like, and also trying to follow market trends in pricing.
I'm guessing that my target vehicle will trend down in price to where the 16 plate vehicles are now.
Not too concerned about niggling issues, as I will either purchase from Tesla with the 4 year warranty (sub 50k miles) or from another reputable dealer with a couple of weeks remaining on the Tesla warranty,. so I can extend the warranty for 4 years with Tesla's extended warranty company. Obviously coming from another dealer it would have to be at least 3.5k cheaper which is the cost of the Tesla extended warranty over 4 years.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Obviously coming from another dealer it would have to be at least 3.5k cheaper which is the cost of the Tesla extended warranty over 4 years.
Don't forget to factor in Free Supercharging if that's important to you.

You won't get it from Tesla CPO, but could possibly get it from a dealer / private purchase.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for the advice regarding the MCU, I am infact targeting a used 66 plate MS90D with AP2 hardware.
You are confusing two things. AP2 is the suite of cameras etc required for EAP and FSD. The MCU is the iPad in the middle of the dash. On a car of the vintage you are looking at that will be MCU1. It will need replacing at some point in time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget to factor in Free Supercharging if that's important to you.

You won't get it from Tesla CPO, but could possibly get it from a dealer / private purchase.
Free supercharger actually used to be very high on my list of requirements, then I realised after the horror stories with replacement door handles, drivetrains MCU etc that the warranty was much more important, so I thought I was limited to Tesla CPO only. I only found out yesterday that you can apply the genuine Tesla aftermarket warranty to any vehicle that's still in warranty, so free supercharger might be on the cards. 😁

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are confusing two things. AP2 is the suite of cameras etc required for EAP and FSD. The MCU is the iPad in the middle of the dash. On a car of the vintage you are looking at that will be MCU1. It will need replacing at some point in time.
Thanks for your advice, I am aware of the 2 main MCU issues, namely the worn out flash chip and the screen that leaks from the top.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks for your advice, I am aware of the 2 main MCU issues, namely the worn out flash chip and the screen that leaks from the top.
You can add a third to the list, a yellow border running around the edge. Apparently caused by the adhesive not curing properly. Because it doesn't affect the performance of the MCU Tesla maintain it's not replaceable under warranty. :mad:

They do have a UV lamp that can fix it, there aren't many of them around and they have a habit of breaking. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can add a third to the list, a yellow border running around the edge. Apparently caused by the adhesive not curing properly. Because it doesn't affect the performance of the MCU Tesla maintain it's not replaceable under warranty. :mad:

They do have a UV lamp that can fix it, there aren't many of them around and they have a habit of breaking. :rolleyes:
Now that one I didn't know about, or the fact that Tesla won't fix it under warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts