Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Yes I have read all the current forum content on Kia Soul EV OBC, but I am just after any thoughts. For the last two weeks, since we had the lovely hot weather, I can't seem to charge reliably on a 32A connection be it at home or out, it flashes up with a ridiculous time remaining like 10hrs instead of 4hrs and then after a minute stops charging. Since this started I have managed to get 2 successful charges on a 32A post, but what is werid is that the Granny Charger is working just fine. I know OBC faults are not uncommon, but it is weird it only when running at decent rate. DC Charging on Chademo also working fine, but then obvioulsy bypassing OBC.

Any thoughts from anyone, I think a trip to Kia will be in order.

Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
How old is your car? Most problems I have heard about relate to 2014/2015 cars and I have also heard that only MY16 and beyond chargers lock the cable while charging (would be good to have that confirmed by others). If this is the case then I suspect chargers have been updated from MY16. Your problem does sound similar to those raised by others when OBC has been faulty and would need checking by Kia. Thank goodness for 7 year warranty.

·
Registered
638 Posts
HI @Steven020 You have the "exact" same problem I had. Plug in would give me 15 hr charging times when I only needed 50%. I would plug in the granny and it worked fine. My Kia Dealer simply had the lead checked and determined there was Water ingress causing the fault. It was replaced under warranty. The DC still worked and I was also able to get a full charge overnight from the Granny lead, so it was no great problem for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I will conduct some more tests, as it seemed to not just be happening on my home point. Did the car then just stop the charge with no error reported? As that is what is happening to me. My home point is tethered, but am going to try a few public points today and see, as it was playing up last time I was at a public point, but it could have been the point. Thanks all, this community is really helpful, and supportive.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
You may need to borrow a cable. Try plugshare for local owners (register for free to see local sharers) sure they will let you try theirs if asked. Good luck.

·
Registered
638 Posts
@Steven020 Yes that is exactly what happened to me. Plug in, timer was way too long 15+hrs. Then after about 2-3 mins it would cut off completely. Plug in Granny lead and it worked properly. I then drove into a local SCP to check if it was maybe my New EO unit at home that was at fault, but no the same happened at the SCP. I then went to the Kia dealer ( I am lucky the dealer that sold me my car is 5 miles from my home) and they tried my lead and same thing again. they then tried their own lead and it worked properly. They ordered me a new lead straight away under warranty. I was still able to Chademo & granny lead. So I wasn't stuck.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The demo car I test drove today was being charged on the granny cable because the supplied 32A cable had failed while they were using it at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The demo car I test drove today was being charged on the granny cable because the supplied 32A cable had failed while they were using it at the dealership.
That doesnt surprise me I saw a dealer salesman unplug the lead and throw it on the concrete, much as you would a garden hose, in front of a prospective buyer going on a test drive!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it has been a couple of weeks no since my Smurf went to see Kia, it appears it was a software update, there was a known issue with charging being cancelled under certain conditions. Not sure if this was solely the reason, but since the update the car (touch wood) has behaved on all chargers. Happy times as it is such a cool car. Also had parking brake button replaced as it had come adrift on one side.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,220 Posts
I found a bug that knackered the charger timers. If you turned off the timer via the button then pushed the button again to get them back they didn't work. You had to turn them off and on again at the screen. It'll be good if they've fixed that as it was really annoying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts