Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my model 3 is charging erratically on my home Pod-Point - never had a problem with it - it kind of cycles 30A, 10A, 16A 18A then does it again.

I’ve reset the Pod-Point, unplugged the M3, rebooted the M3 but it’s still doing it - any ideas? Software update came through yesterday. Now on 2020.36.11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
How's the behavior on other AC chargers? Could be worth a trip to your local supermarket to test.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am on that same software version and not seeing that issue on an Ohme cable (7kW which I assume your Podpoint is). I am back home for a couple of days where I have a Podpoint tethered so will take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah - went to Tesco last night - Pod-Point - was doing exactly the same.

So just plugged in at home again and left it as I need a good charge for a trip tomorrow and it’s now sat happily at 30A weird. Thank you

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Just a thought as not sure it is the same for the M3 but on Model S there are two reboots one is just the MCU and the other is the whole car, I sometime find the 1st makes no difference to issues while the second they are cleared up. Coincidence or cause, who know but experience shapes belief and all that.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the brake pedal technique - lol - no idea what I’m doing - but both buttons on the steering wheel with the brake pedal for what seems like an age until you get the T on the screen!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yep, that I believe is the proper reboot not just the MCU, someone will be along to correct me in a minute if I am wrong! It is easy to tell on the Model S as the MCU just goes blank or both screen go blank, M3 doesn't have that difference.

I have occasionally had issues following software updates which have been resolved by a reboot, which is odd as a reboot is part of the install process, or you would think it should be if not.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Um. I charged on my PodPoint at home. The car was limiting to 25A and I couldn't adjust this higher. I think this is because the PodPoint is only "offering" 25A.

The charger screen was showing quite erratic charge times and rates, flickering from 1hr charge time left to 3 hours, and the miles added per hour jumping around as well. I took a short video.

I stopped charging, waited 5mins, then started again. This time it sat steady and completed the charge without issue.

Teslafi shows the overnight charge as being pretty steady, so I don't think it was doing it all night.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Have seen that at work on Podpoints 3 phase units sometimes, the car picks up and limits the amps as it ramps up, unfortunately stopping somewhere on the way to 16 Amp!! I usually find out later when at my desk and if I can be bothered go back out and unplug and plug back in and usually resolves itself. If the car has remembered it you have to change it manually.

It could also be voltage fluctuations, ton of building work near me when i got the Podpoint installed, with regualr irritating 10-15 second power outages, but sometime it was returning a voltage as low a 211v single phase , which is a major difference from the 253v 3 Phase.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t really get the three phase thing. I’ve tried but.......

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Think of it as 3x16A amp chargers all working at once, you won't go far wrong!! If you are luck it will be 3x32A all at once for 22kW, or rather 24kW at my work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts