Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorted thanks! Been having an issue over the last few months with my 65reg 22kw zoe. If I go round a sharp right hand bend at 30mph plus I get a very loud whooshing noise from the front. It sounds like the tyre is rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch, although I rigged up a camera to rule that out. It's been to my local Renault dealer (very helpful) a couple of times and the only thing they could suggest was replacing the shock absorbers. That was done this week but the noise is still there. Hoping for some ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance stevep

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it still do it if you turn off all the electrics (air con, radio etc)

is it a rubbing noise or a wind noise?

post a vid?

JJ
It definitely does it with the radio off. I'll try try and post a video from the dashcam. It sounds like the plastic undertray is scraping along the ground, even though it's not. Definitely loud though. Only on right handers above 30mph? I am completely stumped and so are renault.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,307 Posts
Been having an issue over the last few months with my 65reg 22kw zoe. If I go round a sharp right hand bend at 30mph plus I get a very loud whooshing noise from the front. It sounds like the tyre is rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch, although I rigged up a camera to rule that out. It's been to my local Renault dealer (very helpful) a couple of times and the only thing they could suggest was replacing the shock absorbers. That was done this week but the noise is still there. Hoping for some ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance stevep

Had this since new, 2014 car. Definitely sounds like a drive train noise, a kind of vooooshhhhh! Doesn't affect performance or power delivery and only when turning right.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That sounds like one of the wheel bearings that has packed up.
If it happens when right turning indicates to be a left side bearing, each wheel will have 2, but Renault would replace the entire hub as they don't do repairs (nobody does anymore).
The cause can be varied. water ingress, potholes, faulty dust cover, etc. Even being stationary for long periods.
Try lifting the car on the side that the noise comes from and see if there is excessive play sideways on the wheel.
While up in the air, check if when rolling the wheel by hand the noise appears. You may want to turn it right and left while rolling it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,380 Posts
Are you talking about that triple 'rah rah rah' noise?

Check your tyres thoroughly for bald spots, straight away (if not already done), the whole circumference, front and back all 4. You might have a really bad patch down to the carcass on one of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you talking about that triple 'rah rah rah' noise?

Check your tyres thoroughly for bald spots, straight away (if not already done), the whole circumference, front and back all 4. You might have a really bad patch down to the carcass on one of them.
The front tyres are fairly new and in good condition, rears are almost new winter tyres. I might get them swapped front to back. I'll try anything! Although there's no indication through the steering wheel.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,380 Posts
I hope you are not suggesting there you've mixed winter and summer tyres?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts