Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my old Fluence to London today, after fully charging overnight at 8 amps. I got up at 4am to check on it, and was surprised to see the 'petrol gauge' at 3/4 full, but the display still said it needed 4 hours.

Presumably the display still thinks it has a non degraded battery? However, I indulged it, and left it charging to 9.30 to do any cell balancing it needed. From 7.15 to 9.30 the display said it needed another 45 mins.

The experience on the road was very different though from the last London trip when I charged overnight at 16 amps. Then, the range was down to 50 miles before I got on the motorway. Today the range started at and stayed at 56 miles for several miles of motorway.

My destination in Battersea required just over half a tank on the 'petrol gauge'. Last time it was down to 3/8 of a tank.

I'm wondering if the batteries accept more energy if you charge them really gently. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Batteries don't charge linearly, when they're empty they'll charge much quicker and then slow down as they get full. That's why all EV rapid charge times are quoted as times to 80% full. The car should control the EVSE as to the current it'll accept as it goes so charging at 16amps would start quicker, but then tail off anyway, so you'd end up with the same level of charge at the end.

The range difference I'd suggest is much more likely due to external temperature differences as that really affects the battery performance, or perhaps you had more stop-start traffic on the second journey allowing it to regen a bit before getting on the motorway? The range indicator is a best guess really.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
27E3F926-9CA2-40F8-B146-42822F4339AC.png

Fluence prices seem to have gone up. Not long ago you couldn’t give them away. Adverts didn’t seem to mention battery lease. Can you buy the batteries from RCI for the Fluence as you can with Zoe?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 137688

Fluence prices seem to have gone up. Not long ago you couldn’t give them away. Adverts didn’t seem to mention battery lease. Can you buy the batteries from RCI for the Fluence as you can with Zoe?
Yeah. I think Fluences are more useful now there are more charge points. There are 3 Source London ones near my rental. These restore the energy to get me home while I wait for the gas man.

I bought my battery recently for £2300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts