Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using one of @CYC's managed (fee-charging) DBT rapid chargers, the ominous "no network" icon in the top right of the screen was there. On Ecotricity's DBT chargers, that means limp to the next location, or flatbed time.

No worries. It accepted the card anyway, and carried on in offline mode, regardless of whether or not my card was in the locally cached whitelist or not (I hadn't previously used that particular charger). I got a charge and made my way. When they eventually fix the comms error, it will upload and process the backlog, and I'll happily pay the fees due.

This is the way to handle comms failures. Fail-useful, rather than fail-secure. It's not the driver's fault that comms is down, and it encourages the charge network operator to get comms failures fixed if it turns out they're giving charges away for free when they should be paid for. They should be monitoring regular poll failures or lack of recently reported activity anyway.

It does make me wonder why other DBT operators don't configure the authentication in a similar way - the equipment is obviously capable of it.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Fail to useful or Fail to lockout in the event of comms malfunction. It is pretty clear which operator you will gravitate towards if you have a choice of places for a rapid charge or to make a long journey with the lowest risk of a failed charge - all other things being equal. Well done CYC for this refinement of service. Hope Ecotricity can follow.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Co-incidentally, CYC's online map is reporting this charger as out of service, presumably because they can't poll it to find out what it's status is. They could flag it as 'Unknown' which is more accurate if they know that it's technically capable of handling a charge when offline, rather than "Out of service", which implies that they know there's something majorly wrong with it (like someone has reported a failed charge, or damaged unit, etc).

At this point, we don't know from @CYC if this fail-to-useful is by design, or by luck. If it's by design, well done. If it's by luck, then it should be investigated as the default configuration for all charge points capable of this configuration.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This is the way to handle comms failures. Fail-useful, rather than fail-secure. It's not the driver's fault that comms is down, and it encourages the charge network operator to get comms failures fixed if it turns out they're giving charges away for free when they should be paid for. They should be monitoring regular poll failures or lack of recently reported activity anyway.

It does make me wonder why other DBT operators don't configure the authentication in a similar way - the equipment is obviously capable of it.
Beautifully put. Could not agree more ...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My CYC card stopped working at rapids yesterday on the way to christmas visits. I tried to use the app, which at first crashed, then put me in Leeds (I was not in Leeds), then when I eventually found the rapid and tried to start the charge via it, it asked me to re login then crash, I eventually limped to an ecotricity unit.

That app is something like 33mb! It's difficult to believe they paid someone and let them get away with that mess. Now I have to wait a week before I can get my card replaced or reactivated because they are closed, it shows up as fine on their site, it's supposed to be a lifetime card but it's also asking me to pay £20 to renew it. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm glad someone is having a good experience with CYC, because since they took over the administration of the 32a chargers at my client site, it's been nothing short of crap.

If we have the wrong kind of cloud the 3g signal is lost, which means no one can get a charge. If the signal is lost during the charge, the charger stops. Sometimes 'authorisation' can take several cold wet minutes. There's no point trying to phone them, I'm usually rocking up at 0620 and their offices are shut.

Gone are the good old days of using any rfid card, choosing your plug and getting a charge. As an end user I don't care if the charger can access CYC's database. It's a free to use charger anyway!

JUST GIVE ME ELECTRICITY.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Tesla chargers appear to be awesome in their simplicity. Why do the chargers even need a screen? Should just be plug in and go.

Reactions: Mr_G

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello

Simon- glad it worked for you, unfortunately we can't claim any glory here. If the card is cached it's done to on the post side and therefore it's down to the manufacturer. It IS ocpp protocol to do this but whether they do or not is sometimes an issue

Cjm- please see above. Your card SHOULD be cached so cloud coverage shouldn't be an issue. Not that it ever should any way. Please dm me with details and I'll investigate.

JWilde- likewise. Please DM. If the card is faulty I will absolutely arrange a free replacement. Sorry you hate the app (I hate it too) we're working on something new. I'm on call over the holiday period so if you need owt please let me know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts