Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
congratulations to OHME for sorting out the time charge problems (y) just thinking now that I have wasted
time and money having the pod point fitted and having no way of setting a time charge :(.
this was the unit suggested to me by MG dealer.
so looks like I will have to fit a timer relay in, or order a OHME charging cable that can be used on the pod point
I wish it was better explained that there is no way of setting a charge time on the pod, I was under the impression that
a Smart Charger would have these programs available if not what's the point of having them fitted apart from helping the national grid 馃槙
it would be good if pod point could set up a software program to use the charger on timed charging .
oh well had my rant now feel better 馃榿

Registered
congratulations to OHME for sorting out the time charge problems (y) just thinking now that I have wasted
time and money having the pod point fitted and having no way of setting a time charge :(.
so looks like I will have to fit a timer relay in, or order a OHME charging cable that can be used on the pod point
I wish it was better explained that there is no way of setting a charge time on the pod, I was under the impression that
a Smart Charger would have these programs available if not what's the point of having them fitted apart from helping the national grid
it would be good if pod point could set up a software program to use the charger on timed charging .
oh well had my rant now feel better
The meter doesn't have the ability to turn things on and the off in your house itself.

I went for the standard Podpoint unit as I knew I was getting a 38kwh Ioniq with the schedule charging.

Your hope might be that MG one day update the system to include the times scheduling (as per the Thai version?)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Registered
a Smart Charger would have these programs available if not what's the point of having them fitted apart from helping the national grid 馃槙
oh well had my rant now feel better 馃榿
Would you not consider selling your Pod Point unit, then purchasing the Ohme with the money you return ?,
All the wiring is already there, so not a massive job to do if you feel that strongly about the timer situation.
Somebody without an MG would buy your unit surely !.

Registered
I was told by PodPoint that they would have a update to cure the MG charging problem "in the Spring"

Registered
OKAY I'm the guy who cancelled the Rolec install and got MG to switch me to PoPoint because of the timed charging issues with Rolec and the assurances that there were no reported problems from customers with PodPoint. Then when installed and I couldn't set a timed charge PoPoint Home Charge support said Oh no you can't do that the car's timer does the delayed schedule charging!
Back to the dealer who says you set it on the PodPoint App and contacted other customers to prove the point until they discovered that none of their customers had yet tried delayed charging! Ooops!!
Further calls by me to PodPoint and the dealer to MG Motors last week only to discover that MG Motors believed that PodPoint did the scheduling and PoidPoint thought MG EV did the scheduling so when the deal was agreed between them I personally believe - and this IMHO - that there were some pretty unfounded assumptions.
However, the good news is that the last software update to the ZS allows the car to wake and charge if Granny Charger and time switch is used and I heard from PodPoint today that at senior-level in PodPoint their developers have been 'Prioritise' a fix PodPoint/PodPoint App to enable scheduled charging as this is affecting a lot of people.
I'll keep you posted.

Registered
OKAY I'm the guy who cancelled the Rolec install and got MG to switch me to PoPoint because of the timed charging issues with Rolec and the assurances that there were no reported problems from customers with PodPoint. Then when installed and I couldn't set a timed charge PoPoint Home Charge support said Oh no you can't do that the car's timer does the delayed schedule charging!
Back to the dealer who says you set it on the PodPoint App and contacted other customers to prove the point until they discovered that none of their customers had yet tried delayed charging! Ooops!!
Further calls by me to PodPoint and the dealer to MG Motors last week only to discover that MG Motors believed that PodPoint did the scheduling and PoidPoint thought MG EV did the scheduling so when the deal was agreed between them I personally believe - and this IMHO - that there were some pretty unfounded assumptions.
However, the good news is that the last software update to the ZS allows the car to wake and charge if Granny Charger and time switch is used and I heard from PodPoint today that at senior-level in PodPoint their developers have been 'Prioritise' a fix PodPoint/PodPoint App to enable scheduled charging as this is affecting a lot of people.
I'll keep you posted.
Wow ..... That is a lot of stress, phone calls and hard work !.
I think I would just given up by now and sold the wall box !.
Then, just used the funds to buy either a 鈥渄umb鈥 Rolec unit and fitted either a timer or installed a Wi -Fi switching unit and controlled the charging from an App on my phone.
Or, purchased a Ohme unit that WILL work on the ZS EV now.
If you switch to Octopus, they will sell you an Ohme for around 拢200 I believe ?.
If you wanted to stick with the Pod Point wall box and wanted to wait for a fix.
If it is untethered, you could plug the Ohme into the Pod Point until there is a fix, then sell the Ohme and return to the Pod Point ?.
Couple of options to go through here I guess !.
Ohme have come good, where others are still playing catch up, I feel !.

Registered
Wow ..... That is a lot of stress, phone calls and hard work !.
I think I would just given up by now and sold the wall box !.
Then, just used the funds to buy either a 鈥渄umb鈥 Rolec unit and fitted either a timer or installed a Wi -Fi switching unit and controlled the charging from an App on my phone.
Or, purchased a Ohme unit that WILL work on the ZS EV now.
If you switch to Octopus, they will sell you an Ohme for around 拢200 I believe ?.
If you wanted to stick with the Pod Point wall box and wanted to wait for a fix.
If it is untethered, you could plug the Ohme into the Pod Point until there is a fix, then sell the Ohme and return to the Pod Point ?.
Couple of options to go through here I guess !.
Ohme have come good, where others are still playing catch up, I feel !.
Yes it was stressful and frustrating especially when you factor in that by the time PodPoint had accepted the remote photo survey, Rolec had apparently solved their issue with trickle charging at 1.6 kW ! So if I'd stayed on the Rolec install program I'd been sorted. When I first contacted PodPoint they said there was no problem and there was no plan to introduce time scheduling. After a few calls I pointed out that MG Motors believed that they had that feature and my complaint would be the tip of the iceberg as I knew from my dealer that they had several customers who were waiting for their suppliers to switch them to off peak Economy tariff (like Octopus Go) and their contact with MG may be at risk.

I'm glad that it's going to get sorted but if others on the forum were to keep up the pressure on PodPoint and their dealer it would no doubt keep them focused. IMHO, the MG PodPoint combination provides a one-sided Smart Charging solution which fails to meet the expectations of all parties not to mention whether or not the conditions for OLEV Grant for Smart Home Charger conditions have been fully met.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts