Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
congratulations to OHME for sorting out the time charge problems (y) just thinking now that I have wasted
time and money having the pod point fitted and having no way of setting a time charge :(.
this was the unit suggested to me by MG dealer.
so looks like I will have to fit a timer relay in, or order a OHME charging cable that can be used on the pod point
I wish it was better explained that there is no way of setting a charge time on the pod, I was under the impression that
a Smart Charger would have these programs available if not what's the point of having them fitted apart from helping the national grid ?
it would be good if pod point could set up a software program to use the charger on timed charging .
oh well had my rant now feel better ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
congratulations to OHME for sorting out the time charge problems (y) just thinking now that I have wasted
time and money having the pod point fitted and having no way of setting a time charge :(.
so looks like I will have to fit a timer relay in, or order a OHME charging cable that can be used on the pod point
I wish it was better explained that there is no way of setting a charge time on the pod, I was under the impression that
a Smart Charger would have these programs available if not what's the point of having them fitted apart from helping the national grid
it would be good if pod point could set up a software program to use the charger on timed charging .
oh well had my rant now feel better
The meter doesn't have the ability to turn things on and the off in your house itself.

I went for the standard Podpoint unit as I knew I was getting a 38kwh Ioniq with the schedule charging.

Your hope might be that MG one day update the system to include the times scheduling (as per the Thai version?)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
a Smart Charger would have these programs available if not what's the point of having them fitted apart from helping the national grid ?
oh well had my rant now feel better ?
Would you not consider selling your Pod Point unit, then purchasing the Ohme with the money you return ?,
All the wiring is already there, so not a massive job to do if you feel that strongly about the timer situation.
Somebody without an MG would buy your unit surely !.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OKAY I'm the guy who cancelled the Rolec install and got MG to switch me to PoPoint because of the timed charging issues with Rolec and the assurances that there were no reported problems from customers with PodPoint. Then when installed and I couldn't set a timed charge PoPoint Home Charge support said Oh no you can't do that the car's timer does the delayed schedule charging!
Back to the dealer who says you set it on the PodPoint App and contacted other customers to prove the point until they discovered that none of their customers had yet tried delayed charging! Ooops!!
Further calls by me to PodPoint and the dealer to MG Motors last week only to discover that MG Motors believed that PodPoint did the scheduling and PoidPoint thought MG EV did the scheduling so when the deal was agreed between them I personally believe - and this IMHO - that there were some pretty unfounded assumptions.
However, the good news is that the last software update to the ZS allows the car to wake and charge if Granny Charger and time switch is used and I heard from PodPoint today that at senior-level in PodPoint their developers have been 'Prioritise' a fix PodPoint/PodPoint App to enable scheduled charging as this is affecting a lot of people.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
OKAY I'm the guy who cancelled the Rolec install and got MG to switch me to PoPoint because of the timed charging issues with Rolec and the assurances that there were no reported problems from customers with PodPoint. Then when installed and I couldn't set a timed charge PoPoint Home Charge support said Oh no you can't do that the car's timer does the delayed schedule charging!
Back to the dealer who says you set it on the PodPoint App and contacted other customers to prove the point until they discovered that none of their customers had yet tried delayed charging! Ooops!!
Further calls by me to PodPoint and the dealer to MG Motors last week only to discover that MG Motors believed that PodPoint did the scheduling and PoidPoint thought MG EV did the scheduling so when the deal was agreed between them I personally believe - and this IMHO - that there were some pretty unfounded assumptions.
However, the good news is that the last software update to the ZS allows the car to wake and charge if Granny Charger and time switch is used and I heard from PodPoint today that at senior-level in PodPoint their developers have been 'Prioritise' a fix PodPoint/PodPoint App to enable scheduled charging as this is affecting a lot of people.
I'll keep you posted.
Wow ..... That is a lot of stress, phone calls and hard work !.
I think I would just given up by now and sold the wall box !.
Then, just used the funds to buy either a “dumb” Rolec unit and fitted either a timer or installed a Wi -Fi switching unit and controlled the charging from an App on my phone.
Or, purchased a Ohme unit that WILL work on the ZS EV now.
If you switch to Octopus, they will sell you an Ohme for around £200 I believe ?.
If you wanted to stick with the Pod Point wall box and wanted to wait for a fix.
If it is untethered, you could plug the Ohme into the Pod Point until there is a fix, then sell the Ohme and return to the Pod Point ?.
Couple of options to go through here I guess !.
Ohme have come good, where others are still playing catch up, I feel !.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow ..... That is a lot of stress, phone calls and hard work !.
I think I would just given up by now and sold the wall box !.
Then, just used the funds to buy either a “dumb” Rolec unit and fitted either a timer or installed a Wi -Fi switching unit and controlled the charging from an App on my phone.
Or, purchased a Ohme unit that WILL work on the ZS EV now.
If you switch to Octopus, they will sell you an Ohme for around £200 I believe ?.
If you wanted to stick with the Pod Point wall box and wanted to wait for a fix.
If it is untethered, you could plug the Ohme into the Pod Point until there is a fix, then sell the Ohme and return to the Pod Point ?.
Couple of options to go through here I guess !.
Ohme have come good, where others are still playing catch up, I feel !.
Yes it was stressful and frustrating especially when you factor in that by the time PodPoint had accepted the remote photo survey, Rolec had apparently solved their issue with trickle charging at 1.6 kW ! So if I'd stayed on the Rolec install program I'd been sorted. When I first contacted PodPoint they said there was no problem and there was no plan to introduce time scheduling. After a few calls I pointed out that MG Motors believed that they had that feature and my complaint would be the tip of the iceberg as I knew from my dealer that they had several customers who were waiting for their suppliers to switch them to off peak Economy tariff (like Octopus Go) and their contact with MG may be at risk.

I'm glad that it's going to get sorted but if others on the forum were to keep up the pressure on PodPoint and their dealer it would no doubt keep them focused. IMHO, the MG PodPoint combination provides a one-sided Smart Charging solution which fails to meet the expectations of all parties not to mention whether or not the conditions for OLEV Grant for Smart Home Charger conditions have been fully met.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a call from my dealer yesterday to tell me that my new MG ZS EV has just arrived :). I 've agreed with him to pick it up first week in March to get a 20 registration.

I mentioned to him that I knew of a software bug with the car, whereby it won't allow timed charging. He said that he thought that it was only Rolec chargers that were effected, and that MG are currently working on a solution.

I had my charger installation done last weekend, a nice tidy looking EO Mini Pro. Does anyone know if this EO charging unit will do timed charging with the MG ZS EV? i.e. was the dealer correct in thinking that it was only Rolec that had issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok to be clear. The ZS EV doesn't have any means to time delay charging. Most other EVs including the very first Nissan Leaf in 2011 you scheduled delayed charging in the car or via an app which schedules the car. In Thailand and India the ZS has different hardware which includes theses features but not in the UK and Europe models.

The ZS EV had software issue that meant it would shut down 3 minutes after switching the car off so that if you had a timer on the charger it wouldn't wake (I had that issue) but latest update, which your car will no doubt have, has solved this. So this means you have to have a means of switching your home charger on when you want for example in line with your chosen economy tariff i.e. Economy 7 or Octopus Go.

Currently Rolec (an mg preferred supplier) has solved their problems whereby in Smart mode it would trickle charge at 1.6 kW then switch up to full 7 kW when told to do so by their App.

PodPoint (a preferred supplier) currently doesn't have a timed function at all, but they are working on it as a priority since without an App which can switch it on on schedule and a car that can't do that either there is very little which is smart!

Since Rolec and PodPoint have been funded by MG Motors for the first 1,000 to 2,000 orders it is embarrassing for all!

So if you've an untethered home charger without Smart features such as I've described then Ohme Type 2 to Type 2 Smart Charging cable at £199 for Octopus customers.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I had my charger installation done last weekend, a nice tidy looking EO Mini Pro. Does anyone know if this EO charging unit will do timed charging with the MG ZS EV?
The EO Mini Pro is a very neat and small compact wall box unit.
I am not certain, but I would be very surprised if this unit supports delayed timing functions in order to use Off Peak electricity rates at night.
What about using the Ohme unit with the Type 2 plug ?.
Maybe, this could be plugged straight into the EO Mini Pro and a timed charging control could be performed via the App on your phone.
Only last week, the Ohme unit has been proved to work correctly for delayed charging with the ZS EV.
If you join Octopus Energy I think their are offering the Ohme unit for about £199.
Could you not have had the Ohme unit fitted under the OLEV grant ?.
Worth a phone call to Ohme maybe ?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The EO Mini Pro is a very neat and small compact wall box unit.
I am not certain, but I would be very surprised if this unit supports delayed timing functions in order to use Off Peak electricity rates at night.
What about using the Ohme unit with the Type 2 plug ?.
Maybe, this could be plugged straight into the EO Mini Pro and a timed charging control could be performed via the App on your phone.
Only last week, the Ohme unit has been proved to work correctly for delayed charging with the ZS EV.
If you join Octopus Energy I think their are offering the Ohme unit for about £199.
Could you not have had the Ohme unit fitted under the OLEV grant ?.
Worth a phone call to Ohme maybe ?.
I probably could have, but I ordered this EO installation a while ago, before I was aware of any problems. The EO is linked with an App that can do delayed timing, its just a matter of whether that will work with the MG issues. Hopefully if it doesn't the MG software will be sorted soon.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I probably could have, but I ordered this EO installation a while ago, before I was aware of any problems. The EO is linked with an App that can do delayed timing, its just a matter of whether that will work with the MG issues. Hopefully if it doesn't the MG software will be sorted soon.
Try starting another thread, asking current / present ZS EV owners if are able to delay charge when using the EO unit and App ?.
There must be members with the same unit as you out there surly !.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hopefully if it doesn't the MG software will be sorted soon.
I believe that the MG problem is fixed. Originally the so-called fix which was released in mid-December and I was told had been applied to my car only worked with a tempory fix on the Rolec because if using the granny cable (all I had when picking up the car) I delayed the charge the car would sleep and not wake when charger connected. A further update was put on the car a couple of weeks ago (I left it with the dealer for 3 hours for this) and after that it was fixed and I tested it by plugging an unpowered granny cable in, locking the car to capture the cable and not plugging in the 3 Pin plug for several hours. Sa soon as I did, then the car woke to accept the charge which it hadn't before. I say fairly confidently that as long as you can with an app turn your charger on, whatever make, be it smart, or just old school dumb EVSE with a mechanical timer, then the MG will charge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
To recap, if the car is plugged in and has gone to sleep, will just pushing the button on the door handle wake it up, with the key fob out of range?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts