Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just joined the forum today. it seems like you have plenty of active discussions which is good.

I don't currently own an EV but hope to for my next vehicle, or at worst a hybrid of some kind.

I'm a techie and very interested in the on-going development of EVs and battery tech, and cars in general.

My current car is an auto diesel averaging 40mpg over an approx. 50 miles per day commute.

I look forward to some interesting chats.

Z66

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi all,

I just joined the forum today. it seems like you have plenty of active discussions which is good.

I don't currently own an EV but hope to for my next vehicle, or at worst a hybrid of some kind.

I'm a techie and very interested in the on-going development of EVs and battery tech, and cars in general.

My current car is an auto diesel averaging 40mpg over an approx. 50 miles per day commute.

Z66
Hi Zeroid, a bit nervous as your title sounds like a proposition's in the offing

Yep go for it. You could always get a rex on lease/pcp to dip your toe, like we have.

What are your top priorities, restrictions & opportunities? (Without sounding too much like a test paper)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi @gaberone rex

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title lol

Priorities are generally price, cost and how much money ;) Really though it needs to be slightly bigger than my i30, look decent and have 'half a tank' range. Realistically I think it will be a couple of years down the line before I can get an EV, when 250 miles is an achievable range.

I'll show my ignorance here but rex = range extender? If so, what is recommended? Personally I like the look and size of the Ioniq.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
Hi @gaberone rex

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title lol

Priorities are generally price, cost and how much money ;) Really though it needs to be slightly bigger than my i30, look decent and have 'half a tank' range. Realistically I think it will be a couple of years down the line before I can get an EV, when 250 miles is an achievable range.

I'll show my ignorance here but rex = range extender? If so, what is recommended? Personally I like the look and size of the Ioniq.
250 miles is an achievable range now with a Tesla Model S or X :D

REX is Range Extender as you say.(y)

·
Registered
221 Posts
But...price, cost & amount of money being Zeroid's priorities...not Tesla x-D

It's a good time to be setting out on the EV journey. I sense the range (scuse pun) of car types starting to expand as well as the range.

From your EV stage / financial focus you could do worse than a 2nd hand Ampera maybe? Tech-wise it sounds like a Rex/PHEV hybrid (with apologies to those who know better) and owners seem to love them, can be c.10-12k (2 yrs worth of i3!) and looks are decent imho.

By the time it packed up (and servicing may be an issue...check out the vehicle-specific forum on here) hopefully there should be more pure electric models fitting your range-price-looks triad.

Exciting times...best of luck with the adventures.

Oh & i found it's hard to make ice breaker thread titles stand out... EVers like to stand out, so you're well on your way :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi all,

Z66
I chose to buy a secondhand Toyota Yaris Hybrid due to range anxiety, but now the Zoe 41kWh is available ....

Anyway, the Yaris is a perfect intro into the feel of an EV - it is a high torque, quiet (in gentle use!) automatic. My one has all the bells and whistles (save heated seats), but a must have is the cruise control.

It is also nicely high tech with a very clever gearbox. You can use OBD software to get interesting info - peak torque is higher than that of the BMW i3, but only lasts for a few seconds at full power - giving 0-31 mph in 4 seconds - quite nippy, same as the Zoe.

In a commute from Ipswich to Cambridge at speeds just above HGVs you should get 70+ mpg. I am getting a yearly average of 55mpg. The car can do about 1 mile as a pure EV with a max EV speed of 42mph. Stop start commuting is its forte.

The engine has no belts to break - the drive chain design is close to perfect for such a car.

Go for a high mileage one with at least a year's Toyota warranty remaining - £6K?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I chose to buy a secondhand Toyota Yaris Hybrid due to range anxiety, but now the Zoe 41kWh is available ....

Anyway, the Yaris is a perfect intro into the feel of an EV - it is a high torque, quiet (in gentle use!) automatic. My one has all the bells and whistles (save heated seats), but a must have is the cruise control.

It is also nicely high tech with a very clever gearbox. You can use OBD software to get interesting info - peak torque is higher than that of the BMW i3, but only lasts for a few seconds at full power - giving 0-31 mph in 4 seconds - quite nippy, same as the Zoe.

In a commute from Ipswich to Cambridge at speeds just above HGVs you should get 70+ mpg. I am getting a yearly average of 55mpg. The car can do about 1 mile as a pure EV with a max EV speed of 42mph. Stop start commuting is its forte.

The engine has no belts to break - the drive chain design is close to perfect for such a car.

Go for a high mileage one with at least a year's Toyota warranty remaining - £6K?
I like the idea of this kind of hybrid. I see a 'full rex' as being the worst of both worlds; you are either carrying lots of dead batteries using an ICE or carrying an unused ICE using batteries. A first step of 'some battery power to help efficiency' seems a sensible way to start my EV journey.

Need to try a Yaris interior though as it might be a bit small, though I know the Yaris in general is highly rated. Is the Auris hybrid as good?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like the idea of this kind of hybrid. I see a 'full rex' as being the worst of both worlds; you are either carrying lots of dead batteries using an ICE or carrying an unused ICE using batteries. A first step of 'some battery power to help efficiency' seems a sensible way to start my EV journey.

Need to try a Yaris interior though as it might be a bit small, though I know the Yaris in general is highly rated. Is the Auris hybrid as good?
The Auris is probably OK and I believe it is also built in the UK. If you want a nippy commuter 'super mini' car, the Yaris should suffice. If you want a Vauxhall Astra sized hybrid, the Auris would be the choice although I have just noticed this offer on a new hybrid - it might see you through 18 months of EV development:

Hyundai Ioniq 1.6 GDi Hybrid SE 5dr DCT (£99.70 per month, 18m) £3051.60 @ Applied Leasing

Note that the Yaris hybrid system is more advanced than the early Auris system - not sure about later Auri.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like the idea of this kind of hybrid. I see a 'full rex' as being the worst of both worlds; you are either carrying lots of dead batteries using an ICE or carrying an unused ICE using batteries.
If that's your understanding of what a rex or even a PHEV is, and their attributes, then I'd say your EV journey hasn't quite begun and you are still packing. Apart from factual aspects which I won't get into, nothing could be further from the truth re "worst of both worlds" (assuming used as intended...as with any product).

Anyway you won't find too much about standard hybrids on these pages, partly a great testament to how mainstream that efficient ICE technology is now, but also because this site's dedicated to plugin cars.

By browsing the forum further, you'll find out lots about plugin EVs and the nuances of silent power, battery charging, eco driving style and ultimately (virtually) emission-free travel.

The vehicle specific subforums with large nos. of posts are good places to start to hear about particular technologies as exemplified by the market leader in each (e.g. Outlander, Leaf, i3, Ampera/Volt) and their role alongside other EVs.

The detailed discussions will hopefully expand your appreciation of the EV landscape :) However, for this purpose nothing replaces actually driving one, of any kind, ideally for an extended period.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Auris is probably OK and I believe it is also built in the UK. If you want a nippy commuter 'super mini' car, the Yaris should suffice. If you want a Vauxhall Astra sized hybrid, the Auris would be the choice although I have just noticed this offer on a new hybrid - it might see you through 18 months of EV development:

Hyundai Ioniq 1.6 GDi Hybrid SE 5dr DCT (£99.70 per month, 18m) £3051.60 @ Applied Leasing

Note that the Yaris hybrid system is more advanced than the early Auris system - not sure about later Auri.
Interesting. It's nice to see Ioniqs going cheap as I do like the look of those. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts