Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of debate I decided that I'd be better off buying out the battery of my 2015 Zoe.
Called them up and after checking the price (£2750) they just sent me an email with bank details on where to send the money, simple and that was that. No going to a dealer or sending anything off.
Today I have received the paperwork from RCI confirming everything and they are no longer interested in the battery. No change of the V5 I just need to keep hold of the certificate of sale. Pretty painless in the end.

What I was a little surprised about was the fact that RCI never once asked once about mileage. Like many I've been paying the minimum for the two years I've owned this car but have been doing well over the mileage allowance. I've worked it out that I have saved just over £950 in any penalty payments. Knowing that no-one seems to have been stung with that anyway makes it a bit of a hollow victory but still makes me feel a little better at sticking it to them :p

With the cost of the car I am in it for less than £7300 which I see as a decent enough deal.
CanZE gives the SOH between 94% and 98% depending on what it feels like on the day and for the first time I did a range test last week to get just over 101 miles so it'll go for quite a while yet.

With the lockdown I am clearly not doing even close to the same sort of mileage but it does get used as our main car just cause it's cheap to run, but I now feel better in knowing it isn't costing me with it just sitting on the drive.

Anyone else bought or close to buying their battery?

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
239 Posts
...but I now feel better in knowing it isn't costing me with it just sitting on the drive.
You’ve just paid upfront over 4 year’s worth of battery lease so I’m confused as to how it isn’t costing you anything with it just sitting on the drive, or has the Zoe’s value now increased by that amount due to it now being battery owned?

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car has done 58k but they dont ask and it makes no difference to the quoted price it is purely done on age. The minimum cost seems to be 2750 which is when the car is five years old, so it never gets any cheaper than that.

As the car value has gone up to roughly cover the cost of the battery I haven't lost anything and if I kept paying the lease it would just be that constant bleed. As long as the depreciation for a battery owned car isn't more than £600 over a lease version I should never be worse off and in another few years I dont think people are going to want older cars that cost them an extra 600 a year no matter what. So for me getting out when the battery price has bottomed out is the best time and hopefully, fingers crossed, it will make the TCO better in time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
With the cost of the car I am in it for less than £7300 which I see as a decent enough deal.
Looking at current AutoTrader adverts you could be looking at asking at least £9k for owned battery so, as you say, a decent enough deal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the battery was £2750, does that mean you only paid £4550 for the car, or is there some man-maths going on here ?
Sounds about right. In September 2018 we paid £6,000 for a 2016 ZE22 from Lookers Renault in Stockport. Looking at what they're selling for now, 2 years later, we wish we'd kept it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, back in November 2018 I only paid £4500 for the car from a guy that really didn't have a clue about the car even though he had it for two years. He didn't know it would fast charge and didn't know you could turn off the pedestrian warning. He massively overpaid for the lease so we even agreed to add 4500 miles to the agreement mileage just in case they wanted to charge me for the extra, which of course they never did.

I nearly didn't buy the car. I had already had a Zoe and the long term lease was putting me off getting another, kept looking at Leafs, and this came up one night. Even though I had initially said yes, then called him the next day to say sorry I'd changed my mind, then told him the car was easily worth 6k (it came with a load of bits including a wall charger), he contacted me a week later asking if I was still interested as the dealer that was going to buying had messed him around. So for that money I gave in. Now glad I did. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
You got an amazing deal for sure! We sold our 2016 ZE22 in March 2019 after 6 months ownership for £6150, £150 more than we'd paid for it, we thought we'd done well, clearly not as well as you! Looking at the prices that 2016 Zoes are currently selling for we now wish we’d kept it.🤑

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
Amazing! We sold our ZE22 after 6 months for £150 more than we'd paid for it, and we thought we'd done well, clearly not! 🤑
You're doing it wrong. Clearly nobody told your seller that no-one buys second hand Zoes. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
After months of debate I decided that I'd be better off buying out the battery of my 2015 Zoe.
Called them up and after checking the price (£2750) they just sent me an email with bank details on where to send the money, simple and that was that. No going to a dealer or sending anything off.
Today I have received the paperwork from RCI confirming everything and they are no longer interested in the battery. No change of the V5 I just need to keep hold of the certificate of sale. Pretty painless in the end.

What I was a little surprised about was the fact that RCI never once asked once about mileage. Like many I've been paying the minimum for the two years I've owned this car but have been doing well over the mileage allowance. I've worked it out that I have saved just over £950 in any penalty payments. Knowing that no-one seems to have been stung with that anyway makes it a bit of a hollow victory but still makes me feel a little better at sticking it to them :p

CanZE gives the SOH between 94% and 98% depending on what it feels like on the day and for the first time I did a range test last week to get just over 101 miles so it'll go for quite a while yet.

With the lockdown I am clearly not doing even close to the same sort of mileage but it does get used as our main car just cause it's cheap to run, but I now feel better in knowing it isn't costing me with it just sitting on the drive.

Anyone else bought or close to buying their battery?
Did you just call Renault Finance, or is there a particular number that is more helpful? We've just bought a car with a leased battery and I am wondering whether it is easier to just jump straight to ownership.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My buyout should drop to £2750 in January this year. Paying £50 a month, that's roughly 4.5 years of rental payments. The battery then reverts to Renault's 8 year warranty (so 3 left for me at that point) 100k miles, with the battery replaced at 60% in that time. SOH was 98% the last time I checked. It's done around 32k miles.

I've got a good few months to think it over, but I am starting to come round to the idea.

After living in a world where we were told you'll be never own the battery, it's something I never thought I'd have to weigh up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I called the RCI electric vehicles department direct.03303310220. In the past I used to go via their main number but someone there was kind enough to give me the direct number and it makes things so much easier when you start talking to someone who has an idea what an electric car even is. It is a much smaller department (maybe only a couple of people) but every time I've called them there doesn't seem to be any problem getting the right info from them. If they mention about going to a dealer to get the price just say that they are long way away. They only need to give you a price and the bank details to send the payment to anyway, which takes seconds.

When thinking about the buyout always remember the value of the car is going to go up. Whether you use the whole or part of possible value uptick for your decision is clearly up to you but it does make the upfront vs rental payments calc pay off much sooner.
Of course when speaking to friends the car always goes up by the same or more than the battery price, cause we're all financial geniuses :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looking at the Autotrader valuations, I think I'll be buying it out as soon as it drops to 2750 in the new year. My maths says it is the right thing to do and although it's never nice paying out lumps of money, especially after Xmas, I think that's what I'll be doing especially if the demand for EVs stays high and my SOH stays where it is.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm about to sell my end of 2014 leased 22 kWh ZOE, I'll be advertising it next weekend. I've debated buying out the battery lease first but I'm not sure if I would get the extra money back. Does any one have an opinion? It's done nearly 53000 miles and I can still get 21 kWh out of the battery. I live in West London so I suspect with the congestion charge now being £15 per day, it should sell reasonably easily if priced correctly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
From my very limited research, it does look like once the battery has hit it's minimum buyout price, the overall value of a battery owned car is more then the additional cost to buy the battery.

Best to trawl the classifieds to guage the market, but it would definitely be worth researching before you sell.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally, if I was thinking of selling the car now I'd not bother buying out the battery. It makes the cost of the car high and removes an option for the buyer. You just might make a little more money but making the buy out option visible and something the new owner could do seems the better call, appealing to more people right now.

You'd be adding £2750 to your outlay for maybe a couple of hundred return. OK that is decent interest on a very short term but is by no means guaranteed. Risk to gain doesn't make sense to me.
If you were keeping the car for a year or more then I see the risk going down, and making the car more saleable as leases become less appealing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm thinking of buying out the battery on our 2015 ZOE before we sell it. The reason is that it would make it much easier to sell to a non-Renault dealer - there's none of that faffing around with transferring the battery lease as a separate transaction to the actual sale. We bought our car with 20k miles 2½ years ago for just over £5k. It's still worth near that, but I'm not sure if it's worth £2750 more with an owned battery.

Can I buy the 'i' to stick on the car? ;)

Reactions: Sputnik72

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm thinking of buying out the battery on our 2015 ZOE before we sell it. The reason is that it would make it much easier to sell to a non-Renault dealer - there's none of that faffing around with transferring the battery lease as a separate transaction to the actual sale. We bought our car with 20k miles 2½ years ago for just over £5k. It's still worth near that, but I'm not sure if it's worth £2750 more with an owned battery.

Can I buy the 'i' to stick on the car? ;)
Seems you've done really well on the price, I'm considering a 15 plate for £5995 from a Renault dealer, just got to decide if I want to buy a car that's not got warranty. Have you had any problems since buying it..?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Personally I think you'd be best advised to keep looking for one that is under the extended warranty. On my 2015 car I've only had one minor mechanical issue and one "minor" electrical issue, but the warranty has paid for itself. I am all too aware that if any single electrical part goes wrong and needs replacing then the cost of repair is going to exceed many years of warranty costs. Of course the warranty covers a fair few usual mechanical things as well so it going in for something is almost a given. Just make sure you check that if they say it is under warranty that it actually is.

When I get round to selling mine (no plans at present) it will be listed under "Battery owned, Renault Extended warranty" to make sure it is obvious in an attempt to bring it above others.

Called Renault the other week about the "i" badge and they want something like £12 for it (already forgotten the exact cost). Until I see one in real life I won't bother as most people won't even know what it indicates, Of course there is nothing stopping you making your own version.

Hmmm, I guess if you know the exact cost of the battery, you could try and sell the car as battery owned even without it being battery owned. As the lease is legally your responsibility if you don't sign the lease over to the buyer then you are still paying the monthly costs. You could theoretically sell the car as battery owned and only once you've got the money in your bank actually pay off the finance on the battery. It would of course be very underhanded and the buyer would either have to be a numpty and not be aware of the lease at all or be extremely understanding, but it is theoretically possible, you cold at least advertise it as battery owned and see if you get any interest. I had the final paperwork back from RCI in less than two weeks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts