Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to get 195miles out of my S60, driving between Nottingham and Manchester, over the Woodhead Pass without a range charge!!!! (The car showed 155 miles typical when I set off.)

I did intend to get an overnight charge, but my colleague was late due to the state of the M6, so rather than have time to move my car to a charge point I left the car overnight outside the hotel, and risked it.

Stats: 194.9 miles @ 280 wH/mi 54.5kWH

I even got my best ever average wH/mi -44 (yes that is a minus!) over 5 miles!

The only real compromise was no A/C, I was till keeping up with traffic.

Small disclaimer, I put 19 miles in at the services when I had breakfast, but had 25 range left when I parked up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow impressive. Being a poor Leaf driver I can only dream of getting more than 70 miles on a fast trip. You could have topped up at Ashton u Lyne (just off the M60) Manchester IKEA as its got an ecotricity DC unit there. In the next two weeks Birch Services M62 will be on-line as well ...I can't wait !

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stats: 194.9 miles @ 280 wH/mi 54.5kWH

The only real compromise was no A/C, I was till keeping up with traffic.
Impressive !

But the all important thing for me (to be able to compare) is what journey time did you record, or roughly what was you average speed for most of the trip ?

Have you been able to calculate the energy drain with the A/C on ? Averaged over an hour I've worked mine out at 4% energy drain compared to rest of car. Ambient was 23'c with the cockpit slightly below that at maybe 18'c.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Impressive !

But the all important thing for me (to be able to compare) is what journey time did you record, or roughly what was you average speed for most of the trip ?

Have you been able to calculate the energy drain with the A/C on ? Averaged over an hour I've worked mine out at 4% energy drain compared to rest of car. Ambient was 23'c with the cockpit slightly below that at maybe 18'c.

Journey time was c. 2h25 each way. Putting it into perspective Google Maps suggested a 2h21 journey time. I'd budgeted on 2h30.

There are average 50mph speed cameras along a big chunk of the M1 at the moment, this obviously helped range. TBH I was expecting to struggle to hit typical before I set off due to the elevation changes going across the peaks.

I was on my own in the car on the way there, but had a passenger on the way back, so even more impressive.

Wow impressive. Being a poor Leaf driver I can only dream of getting more than 70 miles on a fast trip. You could have topped up at Ashton u Lyne (just off the M60) Manchester IKEA as its got an ecotricity DC unit there. In the next two weeks Birch Services M62 will be on-line as well ...I can't wait !
The Ecotricity at Woodhall is currently out of action. I phoned the Ecotricity number to double check, and I have to say they were very helpful! He asked about our predicted range, and thought it would be tight for us to get to the next services, and even suggested some non Ecotricity points!! As it turned out we had plenty (at 50 mph, my car does <240wH/mi, the typical is based on 340wH/mi). He'd assumed I was in a Leaf and was a little surprised/impressed when I said I was in a Tesla :D

I stopped at Tibshelf services on the M1 with 16miles typical range remaining, my house is 17 miles from Tibshelf (but my predicted using 30 mile average had more than enough to get me home)

I have to say Ecotricity has been far more useful to me than Superchargers at the moment. I just wish my car could use the DC Rapids :(

The most my car can ever charge at is 30 miles per hour, all of which is just software limitation, and VERY expensive to have lifted. So realistically overnight charging is the only way to meaningfully extend range. The real kicker to me is the fact Ecotricity locations serve my needs so much better than the planned Supercharger locations, this was a big part of the decision not to go for Supercharging. I didn't realise I'd later have to pay for Supercharging to use the CHAdeMO adapter when it finally comes out :(

So anyone else considering a 60, I'd say the Supercharging shouldn't be considered optional, by which time the price differential is small enough you might as well buy an 85. This is a real shame. 99% of the time, if your driving remotely resembles mine, you are carting round a load of superfluous weight, and future battery disposal issues, for no real benefit.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
So is that the firm position now, to use the Chademo adapter you MUST buy SC access? Seems a little mean spirited, when, like you say, access to the Chademo network is probably a lot more useful to you today than the SC one.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So is that the firm position now, to use the Chademo adapter you MUST buy SC access? Seems a little mean spirited, when, like you say, access to the Chademo network is probably a lot more useful to you today than the SC one.
That is what Georg (UK general manager) said at the Birmingham launch event.

I have had some pretty poor customer services from them recently, and have personally wasted hours resolving certain issues (that I won't go into details on here). Add to that this requirement wasn't clear when I ordered the car, and they have admitted that they have changed strategy on Supercharger rollout, toward "Ownership Enablement" over "Distance travel" here in the UK. (Spin speak for putting more SCs in London).

So I might press for a discount on the SC enablement of my car, or tbh it's not worth it, especially as it's unlikely I will use one more than a couple of times over the next 2.5 years I have the car.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I love driving over woodhead pass, especially at sunrise!
Was pleased at getting 40miles out of my Ampera in the cold and rain coming over there the other night.
Despite the hills, it's a lovely flowing section of road where you can just keep rolling, even if it is only at 45-50mph :)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love driving over woodhead pass, especially at sunrise!
Was pleased at getting 40miles out of my Ampera in the cold and rain coming over there the other night.
Despite the hills, it's a lovely flowing section of road where you can just keep rolling, even if it is only at 45-50mph :)
It's my default route to Manchester despite the A50/M6 supposedly being quicker.

It used to be an absolute blast in the bad old days before all the speed cameras, especially if you were lucky enough to hit it without traffic in something sporty.

Nowadays I choose it for the scenery alone, much less boring than sat on dual carriageways.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Yup, I've generally found it quicker than the M6 route. Even when I used to drive an HGV we would go that way as it was quicker.
Pre-Camera's would have been a whole lot more fun, but I'm not that old ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts