Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the new Infotainment update (I say new the software is Dated Late Sept 2020).

She hates the new layout, thinks a total waste of space.

Personally I sort of like it the home screen is not cluttered and the 3 Tile version was looking rather dated

Having the personal settings for 2 different drivers is a major improvement for me, All those Soft Rock Radio settings and 300 Primarks in the Satnav gone as soon as I select my settings. Fantastic.

Ok the new radio screen is a bit hit and miss and the new heater controls are a straight rip off from the Model 3.

But the New Map with Delays etc on it is good (Live Traffic is probably about as good as from Google)..

Bit of a Marmite update this one, but I like what they are doing, lets hope it gets further refined going forward, what do others think and have you found any hidden little bits (I Like you can set a driver photo and download trip and usage to your phone)

I think this new home screen is much nicer (Vicky prefers the old 3 Tile system)

We Both think the new weather symbols are a bit bizzare!

Someone had been looking at the Model 3 when they designed the heater output screen

Settings - Looks like its all from Back end of last year, so hopefully another update with tweaks and a new maps soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did the dealer finally do this for you after your long wait the other day? The screen shots are exactly the same as I sent you.
I am still suffering with the Map displaying as heading up instead of 3d. I assume yours is OK. I might have to revisit dealer.
I like the new lay out, but like someone said in another thread I would like the home button on the right side of screen.
How do you find that weather symbol display?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,128 Posts
I never had a chance to try the previous version, but think the current software is okay for what it is.

Never use the climate screen — can’t see why anyone really would in normal use after the settings have chosen. I think it’s one of those screens put in there to look a little fancy in the showroom.

Never use the radio screen personally — just scroll through favourites via steering wheel buttons.

Used built-in nav a few times but found routing quite odd and there’s no way I’m going to rely on Hyundai’s charger database / data.

I find myself using CarPlay most of the time, sometimes Google Maps, sometimes Waze...and also intend to try TomTom a bit more too. PlugShare / WattsUp / ABRP are on CarPlay too but need to be improved.

The main issues I have with the system can’t be addressed by the software — I just find touchscreens like this, particularly when they aren’t angled towards the driver, less than ideal for using on the move. BMW’s iDrive system with a control wheel in the centre console is a far superior solution, IMO. Easier to use when on the move, and you can avoid the screen getting covered in fingerprints.

I’d like to be able to do more via voice. The voice control is quite limited though in terms of functionality.

One of my main bugbears with the Kona is the lack of a numeric SoC in the instrument cluster and\or HUD. (Regardless of how accurate the GOM may be, I prefer to just know the SoC).

My method to check the SoC when using CarPlay is to the use the steering wheel voice button to flash up the voice screen with the split screen set to show the EV info. Then just say exit or press the steering wheel hang up button to go back to CarPlay. Means I don’t have to reach across to the screen just to quickly check the SoC %.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the dealer finally do this for you after your long wait the other day? The screen shots are exactly the same as I sent you.
I am still suffering with the Map displaying as heading up instead of 3d. I assume yours is OK. I might have to revisit dealer.
I like the new lay out, but like someone said in another thread I would like the home button on the right side of screen.
How do you find that weather symbol display?
yes after a bit of a curffule about the wasted time the Dealer Principle made sure it was done today.

I set the 3D up view when setting up the initial user profile and its stuck that way no problem at all. It was one of the first options to select

as for the weather icons yea they are a bit bizarre. Seems the horizontal lines are Fog! All very odd

personally I do like the layout but Vicky is not a fan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry, I meant where do you find the weather symbol display. I have not seen that on any screen.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I meant where do you find the weather symbol display. I have not seen that on any screen.
It just scrolls up or down the right hand tile till you get to the weather one

you then have two option. Either forecast or location and destination

just make sure you have the pop out tile selected with the arrow box on the right of the screen

·
Registered
417 Posts
I got my 21 plate Soul today (well it was dropped off yesterday but couldn’t drive it till today) and the headunit was on the old version. So I did the update myself using the Ioniq forum image of the 10.25 head unit update. Worked a treat, only glitch was that Carplay was showing the quick menu buttons on the left, but after a power cycle it switched back to the right. My wife’s not driven the car so she doesn’t have a frame of reference to complain about thankfully, and she can keep her radio station choices to herself now 🤣

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
One of my main bugbears with the Kona is the lack of a numeric SoC in the instrument cluster and\or HUD. (Regardless of how accurate the GOM may be, I prefer to just know the SoC).
Doesn't one of the drive modes show the %, in the dash in front of the driver ?
(Granted if it does, it's prob not the drive mode you prefer, and it's well jerky + pesky and not-safe to cycle through the drive modes just to see a value on the dash )

Whilst on a Wishlist IF YOU'RE LISTENING HYUNDAI -- HV Batt Temp, 12v batt level, and, a nearest-charge-point tool that doesn't list Nissan-Dealer-ChaD-Pointless ones

Reactions: stageshoot

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,128 Posts
99.99% sure it doesn’t show a percentage on the instrument cluster in any of the drive modes when driving... just the ICE hangover fuel gauge bars. The only time I’ve seen an SoC % in the cluster is when charging.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, that was a bit underwhelming! The Barbarian has just had his first service. "All done" the pleasant lady said at the reception desk. When I got in the car, nothing was different. You wouldn't know it had been serviced (even the service record I left on the passenger seat was untouched and unstamped). I will have to check the firmware numbers but I'm guessing they're the same. It hadn't even had the complimentary wash (that'll be another 12 months then :)).
I did leave the 360 dashcam running on the phone backup battery pack, so that might be interesting (although with Stageshoots experience, I dread to think what I'll see and hear).

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that was a bit underwhelming! The Barbarian has just had his first service. "All done" the pleasant lady said at the reception desk. When I got in the car, nothing was different. You wouldn't know it had been serviced (even the service record I left on the passenger seat was untouched and unstamped). I will have to check the firmware numbers but I'm guessing they're the same. It hadn't even had the complimentary wash (that'll be another 12 months then :)).
I did leave the 360 dashcam running on the phone backup battery pack, so that might be interesting (although with Stageshoots experience, I dread to think what I'll see and hear).
They wont update the infotainment system and maps unless you specifically ask them to do it and watch them write it on the job sheet as its not classed as part of the service, just something they do at customer request. Bloody awful really when they are charging £80 to just kick the tyres they could at least make the effort to do it..

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
99.99% sure it doesn’t show a percentage on the instrument cluster in any of the drive modes when driving... just the ICE hangover fuel gauge bars. The only time I’ve seen an SoC % in the cluster is when charging.
Dang
I went and sat in the car - you're right - the range number is top right in Sport & Eco, but in the centre in Comfort.
I must of been thinking that was what was different to do with the battery "display" and drive modes.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
77 Posts
They wont update the infotainment system and maps unless you specifically ask them to do it and watch them write it on the job sheet as its not classed as part of the service, just something they do at customer request. Bloody awful really when they are charging £80 to just kick the tyres they could at least make the effort to do it..
This for me is the real fundamental problem with legacy car makers, I much prefer independents. On the Merc forums they refer to the dealers as Stealerships. Appreciate Tesla has different problems, as they say "its not for everybody" but at least they value your time by doing OTA updates, a very thin maintenance schedule and sending a ranger where possible to you. More importantly they don't have this incredibly dumb 12 month elapsed service, regardless of mileage thing to keep their dealerships in business.

I almost think it's going to be harder to break this part of their ICE business model than getting them to produce credible EV's at a reasonable price.
It's the elephant in the room in these car reviews, the worst ones just read the press notes, the better ones actually add value, but none of them talk about service schedules and costs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Whilst on a Wishlist IF YOU'RE LISTENING HYUNDAI -- HV Batt Temp, 12v batt level,
I followed stageshoot’s example on this Forum in July last year and Downloaded the Free version of the Car Scanner App. He showed a photo with it on his iPad. I did that too but also Downloaded it onto my Android Smartphone. This after puchasing a vGate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 OBD 2 Diagnostic Reader on Amazon - then priced @ £20.99. It works well with both devices.

The App allows a multitude of layouts, sizes and colours with a choice of what is displayed. It can also apparently display Graphs (which I think stageshoot used to convince Hyundai there was a Charging problem)! I have not bothered with that feature.

My ‘Battery Current‘ display figures below are selected by me to be larger that the rest and set to change colour at a set threshold. If my right foot continues to make a heavy power demand a buzzer sounds at a second set threshold. Interesting to see where power is wasted and can be saved without too much of a compromise.

The ‘Cumulative Energy Charged’ display is also very interesting in that it shows when worthwhile Regeneration is happening and it is therefore possible to change driving habits in the interest of greater efficiency.

4A811C31-E766-41C7-9F1A-7B2228A04B0A.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the new Infotainment update (I say new the software is Dated Late Sept 2020).

She hates the new layout, thinks a total waste of space.

Personally I sort of like it the home screen is not cluttered and the 3 Tile version was looking rather dated

Having the personal settings for 2 different drivers is a major improvement for me, All those Soft Rock Radio settings and 300 Primarks in the Satnav gone as soon as I select my settings. Fantastic.

Ok the new radio screen is a bit hit and miss and the new heater controls are a straight rip off from the Model 3.

But the New Map with Delays etc on it is good (Live Traffic is probably about as good as from Google)..

Bit of a Marmite update this one, but I like what they are doing, lets hope it gets further refined going forward, what do others think and have you found any hidden little bits (I Like you can set a driver photo and download trip and usage to your phone)

I think this new home screen is much nicer (Vicky prefers the old 3 Tile system)
View attachment 141343

We Both think the new weather symbols are a bit bizzare!
View attachment 141344

Someone had been looking at the Model 3 when they designed the heater output screen
View attachment 141345

Settings - Looks like its all from Back end of last year, so hopefully another update with tweaks and a new maps soon.

View attachment 141346
View attachment 141347
Is there an option now to check the history of charging (without opening a Bluelink) and does Android auto uses the full screen now (instead 2/3rds like in the old system)?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there an option now to check the history of charging (without opening a Bluelink) and does Android auto uses the full screen now (instead 2/3rds like in the old system)?
No there is no charging history in the unit, AFAIK the android auto widescreen update is phone dependent and if the phone has recieved the updated version... I normally use Carplay now as I prefer the layout but will plug in my android phone and have a look to see if its been updated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts