Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the M4 Severn crossing now toll free.. one wonders what TomTom map version one has to update to get rid of the "TOLL CHARGE!" announcement when one sets a Wales destination. Will TomTom Live magic it away or is it purely a map update?

I note on the Renault R-Link store we are looking at Maps from June 2018 (TomTom Support) anyone know (from having their own separate TomTom or some other R-Link toll related experience?)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Since the opening of the Queensferry crossing on the Forth, unless you have paid to update you still see your car 'swimming' across the Forth then desperately trying to find a road at the other side :LOL:

·
Banned
350 Posts
I don't use the car one - I use a 6200 and TomTom mobile - both have it removed and have it replaced with the 50MPH average limit section. (and it's the same for the old bridge which is free from midnight (seen them taking the booths down with a JCB) I've been through the bridge 8 times since they took away the middle 3 lanes - and TBH I can't get my head around the fact I still have that £45 in my pocket :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The updating of sat map data is shockingly poor in terms of delay. Why on earth don't they just use registered users to feed them data and changes in an open source kind of way then everyone would be better off :rolleyes:

I've updated my BMW maps several times since buying it 2 1/4 years ago and still it's driving off road on a new link in Cardiff that was in place just after I bought the car. Who is actively updating this rubbish?

·
Banned
350 Posts
No one it seems!!

TomTom themselves are quick to update - as is GM of course - but I can't use GM on my phone as it's pixelated so I have to rely on TomTom - and it's more the phone than the dedicated sat nav for me for convenience.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
How about doing something clever like getting the car to record data whenever it loses road coverage and sending that location back to the mothership for someone to review and update using google maps. If there was more data like this being collected there would be less HGVs stuck in single track roads around me :mad:

·
The best there is at what I do
10,699 Posts
The updating of sat map data is shockingly poor in terms of delay. Why on earth don't they just use registered users to feed them data and changes in an open source kind of way then everyone would be better off :rolleyes:

I've updated my BMW maps several times since buying it 2 1/4 years ago and still it's driving off road on a new link in Cardiff that was in place just after I bought the car. Who is actively updating this rubbish?
I haven't bothered updating mine, it has saved enough to buy a nice Tom Tom with free map updates for life. I haven't got lost yet, I might update it if BMW ever bothers to sort out the POIs, why would displaying charge points in an electric car be useful, answers on a postcard:D

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,506 Posts
How about doing something clever like getting the car to record data whenever it loses road coverage and sending that location back to the mothership for someone to review and update using google maps.
All providers like Google (Waze), Apple, Tomtom, Garmin already do this with their "on line" devices, not just for detecting changes and closures, but also for traffic info and real time trip routing. Whether it's the actual processing of that acquired data to an update, or the actual distribution channel to the OEM's, heaven knows.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I haven't bothered updating mine, it has saved enough to buy a nice Tom Tom with free map updates for life. I haven't got lost yet, I might update it if BMW ever bothers to sort out the POIs, why would displaying charge points in an electric car be useful, answers on a postcard:D
Mine shows them, admittedly not all of them but a few!

·
Banned
350 Posts
All providers like Google (Waze), Apple, Tomtom, Garmin already do this with their "on line" devices, not just for detecting changes and closures, but also for traffic info and real time trip routing. Whether it's the actual processing of that acquired data to an update, or the actual distribution channel to the OEM's, heaven knows.
I found even though not in use the Zoe tomtom picked up the new 50mph bridge zone first - I had to do a new 8GB download on the phone for the whole of Europe update but it was in that - no idea how long it was sat as an update on the dedicated nav, I only update it once a month at best

I've been through the new and old bridge twice today and used different kit each time and they all chime up now - I know I don't have a life

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's commercial reasons. Proper TomTom has that feature I believe. Renault are just licensing a subset of the features. You don't want to give away all your best tools/capabilities/USP to a licensee.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I have proper tomtom on my phone and a sat nav unit - it's way more up to date - just annoying AA has a problem with my phone - it's mush right now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts