Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

High spots:-
  • Payment to be possible by contactless payment and an associated app based system, with simple and accessible pricing information
  • Consistent information about charging on main roads
  • Reliable and available infrastructure
  • 24/7 customer care to support drivers
  • Safe, well-lit environments for charging facilities

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,863 Posts

High spots:-
  • Payment to be possible by contactless payment and an associated app based system, with simple and accessible pricing information
  • Consistent information about charging on main roads
  • Reliable and available infrastructure
  • 24/7 customer care to support drivers
  • Safe, well-lit environments for charging facilities
As usual the devil is in the detail. That is a nice wish list but how measurable or practical are they? For example:
  • Payment to be possible by contactless payment and an associated app based system, with simple and accessible pricing information - is this a single App or one per provider as at present? Define simple - does this mean flat rate or can you still have an initial charge and an overstay charge? And different charges if you are a fee paying member, paying via an App or contactless?
  • Consistent information about charging on main roads - including the complexity of the charging structure? I doubt that you can see this as you drive past unless stuck on the M4 around Cardiff/Newport
  • Reliable and available infrastructure - for both Fast and Rapids or just Fast? Do they have to be available 24/7 and at certain times like lockdown or big events? Currently a number in hotels and showgrounds are unavailable as the business is closed. Who measures reliability - is this just that the Rapid is booted up or does it include actually being able to charge?
  • 24/7 customer care to support drivers - will this just be a call handling service or something effective?
  • Safe, well-lit environments for charging facilities - define Safe (just CCTV so that they can catch the culprit afterwards or on-site security guards), and is well-lit at all times and across the whole site or just the charge point? Will there be a requirement to provide facilities at the same time?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
What’s the point? The WAG don’t let anyone travel anywhere anyway 😆 And after the WAG’s most recent act of economic self-destruction, most folk in Wales will barely be able to pay their electric bills let alone afford EVs.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Although very very welcomed, as usual a little late to the party !.
You can bet there will no shortage or chargers installed in the Cardiff area.
They will be the first to get their numbers increased.
Chargers in Mid Wales are as rare as “Hen’s Teeth”.
If you expect people to move away from buying ICE cars and do the right thing and move to electric, you have to provide the chargers !,
Let’s be fair, it’s not a cheap option moving to electric.
Asking people to spend more money on a EV and then give them the head ache on how they make long distance trips without being able to charge, is dead in the water straight away.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
Maybe it's dawning on them that tourists with EVs will avoid Wales. Once the Welsh Government wants them back again, of course.

Eventually there will be enough of us to matter. Eventually tourist will not be a dirty word.

Scotland has already invested in the BEV future. We can all go there instead. You might need a passport by then though.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I lived in Cardiff for a couple of years, and I don’t see it happening even in the city. It’s mostly flats and terraced housing, and South Wales as a whole is a relatively low income area - EVs ain’t cheap.

What always puzzled me is why most folk in Cardiff owned a car at all, just to drive from their suburb or apartment complex to the city. The whole place is about 2 miles across with a decent bus network.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I lived in Cardiff for a couple of years, and I don’t see it happening even in the city. It’s mostly flats and terraced housing, and South Wales as a whole is a relatively low income area - EVs ain’t cheap.

What always puzzled me is why most folk in Cardiff owned a car at all, just to drive from their suburb or apartment complex to the city. The whole place is about 2 miles across with a decent bus network.
I though they would have one at the Senedd by now at least !.
Showing a good example and all that stuff.
The electric infrastructure is poor at best in Wales.
Scotland are WAY more proactive in there approach to moving towards electrification.
The tourist industry needs the chargers as much as the people who live in Wales.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,863 Posts
I though they would have one at the Senedd by now at least !.
Showing a good example and all that stuff.
The electric infrastructure is poor at best in Wales.
Scotland are WAY more proactive in there approach to moving towards electrification.
The tourist industry needs the chargers as much as the people who live in Wales.
Which represents a major issue about where to site the Rapids - in the cities where the voters live all year or out in the Tourist areas where the cash cows that appear for a few months will vote with their feet if there is no provision?
Heading say to the Elan Valley from England there is only a single Polar Rapid in Llandrindod Wells (a 5 mile detour) after the two in Leominster 10 miles before the border. Going for a day trip to enjoy the area is a high risk undertaking unless you have sufficient range to avoid Rapid charging or are willing to wait your turn when the others already have a customer.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There are a few 7kw(?) units in the Bay Q Park, which is about as close as you can get a vehicle to the Senedd anyway. Maybe one day they’ll stick a charging hub at Culverhouse or something.

For the few months I had Zoe in Wales before bringing her back down south, I charged at IKEA Cardiff down the road from my flat. The EH chargers there delivered a whopping 3kw, reported “check charging post” and were frequently ICEd by locals in non plug in hybrids because “it’s an electric car”.

There’s a way to go out there for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
They recognise they need a lot of charging points -

"Welsh socio-economic data has been used to predict that we need 30,000 to 50,000 fast chargers to be available in Wales over the next ten years. We plan to introduce measures that will provide high quality fast charging to meet this need, through partnerships and collaboration. Rapid charging will also be important, especially for long distance journeys. We will need up to 3,500 rapid chargers to be installed by 2030"

Below is link to the consultation and a chance to contribute.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,863 Posts
Interesting document, and they are very honest with the numbers, the resultant gap and how quickly they need to fill it. Powys needs to move from the third quartile of the number of chargers to the top quartile, which I guess is based partly on the needs of the tourist industry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts