Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another failure in this sad saga.

My guess is that eventually the line will need to be permanenly down-rated and massive settlement costs paid for that.

In the meantime, all UK customers pay for the loss of 2GW of transmission capacity.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yet another failure in this sad saga.

My guess is that eventually the line will need to be permanenly down-rated and massive settlement costs paid for that.

In the meantime, all UK customers pay for the loss of 2GW of transmission capacity.
By comparison, NEMO, 400kV, Sumitomo supply, works perfectly since commissioning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why does consumer or electricity supplier have to carry the cost for this failure when the WesternLink service contract is with National Grid, a private firm. National Grid‘s income as a regulated operator is almost guaranteed but surely the failure of an arrangement that they have put in place should be at their own expense? ...... or have I missed something?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why does consumer or electricity supplier have to carry the cost for this failure when the WesternLink service contract is with National Grid, a private firm. National Grid‘s income as a regulated operator is almost guaranteed but surely the failure of an arrangement that they have put in place should be at their own expense? ...... or have I missed something?
Maybe, just maybe, replacing the cable would make NG go bust several times over? Something in the contract I am sure, to ensure the costs of massive failure to perform are shared amongst all interested parties!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, replacing the cable would make NG go bust several times over? Something in the contract I am sure, to ensure the costs of massive failure to perform are shared amongst all interested parties!
Only a monopoly company would accept those terms ......

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Prysmian or their insurers are picking up the tab for the cable repairs....but not the consequential losses which are bourne by the consumers

Prysmian may find it hard to get their next HVDC order, although I read that they have plenty of installation blame/finger pointing started already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts