Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping and a couple of meetings today, so thought I would park in Westfield and use one of the 6 charging points while there.

It would appear that the customers of Westfield have the same level of regard as anyone else. The signs don't say "only". When I challenged the guy in the blue Focus who parked just as I was leaving my car, he said that he can park in any space he likes - not worth a conversation.

11:40 on a Wed, only 3 spaces out of 8 left, 2 used by EVs, 3 by ICE - I wonder what it is like on a Saturday!!!???

So, message is - don't plan a trip to Westfield for your Xmas shopping if you are relying on a charge to get home, they may all be gone...

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Was there anyone parked in the Tesla spot?

Ignorant gets! It'll only improve with better management though, problem is if Westfield were to start handing out fines, they might feel they were compromising their customer relations and as ICE car drivers far outweigh EV ers then the cards are stacked in their favour.

I think the best course of action at this stage is to write to Customer Services and send them the pic asking them why they aren't doing something about it.

ICEing is an annoyance in most cases but this seems blatant!

Perhaps the Focus driver might consider that if anyone can park wherever they want then maybe he wouldn't mind too much if you were to block him in??

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There may be more on a different floor...

The Tesla spaces were all empty bar 1 which had the test drive Tesla in it. But they are bright red with a massive supercharger in each one...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If the sign does not say EV charging only then a fine cannot be levied. This needs to be sorted first. Even the Ecotricity sites with proper warning signs and loads of white paint get ICEd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are no signs saying that parking is exclusively for EV charging. Westfield management would need to clearly say this on signage and then issue fines to those not parked in correct spaces. Children/parent parks are another parking problem in that people without children park in the space anyway. I would also be cautious about posting photos of people clearly showing faces on a public forum.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did say that at the beginning - it does not say they are exclusive sadly, that is the problem here - however it is not like they are short of parking spaces there...

They are painted bright green, a completely different colour to ordinary spaces (grey) and disabled (blue).

Take your point about the faces though...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those interested, here are the nice and un-ICEd 8 Tesla supercharger slots - Don't say Tesla only, but who would dare??? ;-)

Attachments

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
193 Posts
image.jpg
28th November 2014 - our second visit to Westfield.

It was just the same 12 months ago when we first visited with an EV as well. Westfield are useless and clearly don't actually care about the future of sustainable transport. When a space did become available Source London were equally useless, insisting that the site was closed. The French call centre made me feel much better by assuring me that a file had been opened to investigate.

Perhaps when the Tesla bays begin to get ICEd Westfield may make an effort to deal with the problem.

image.jpg

This is at The Trafford Centre on a busy Saturday afternoon a few months ago. 6 EV bays all coned off and well signed, you can see the ICEs queueing while looking for spaces, it was very busy, but no ICEing, and parking here is free, unlike Westfield at £6.50. There are a further 6 bays on the other side of the building. Intu Trafford Centre have really committed to keeping the cones in place and stick huge stickers on the drivers window of offending ICE vehicles and thanks to that commitment it remains one of the most reliable places to charge an EV, and we have spent far more money there since buying a LEAF. Sadly a number of EV drivers who use the bays to charge can't be bothered taking two moments to put the cone back and just drive off. Sad isn't it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that is exactly my point. Westfield is 28 miles from my house - I can get there and back on pure EV in the PHEV if I can charge there. If so then we may shop there more...

I did notice today that when I first parked there it was empty of cars despite all the surrounding spaces being full at 10:30, however when I popped back to drop off some of my shopping a bit later when I took the photo above, the Merc had parked next to me, and the Skoda was already there too - the Focus turned up while I was there.

I wonder if people saw my "Big Mitsubishi 4x4" without seeing the cable plugged into it at the back (behind a pillar) and thought it was then OK to ICE them. I have a horrible feeling that I may have been the unwilling catalyst...

P.S. - I wonder if the merc in your picture is the same one that is in mine???

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regardless of what the sign says, a fine cannot be levied...
I'm sure they meant "Parking Charge Notice".

Either way, the fact is there is no disincentive to ICEing - even a notice that said "ONLY" may install guilt in some, but you will always find some ballsy barrack-room lawyer who "knows their rights" and will park there anyway, no matter what you do. Just like disabled bays.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that is a whole separate debate ;-)

However, I think the point with the Prius or Auris is that the ONLY fuel input to the vehicle possible is petrol, whereas with a Plug-In (which can include everything from the plug-in Prius to the i3 REX) there is the possibility to run the car 100% on electricity (which some Outlander owners strive to do!!!).

Personally I try to run as EV as much as possible, wincing when the engine kicks in, but it is nice to know that if I do need it, then it is there, meaning I only have to ever own/run one vehicle. When a reasonably priced EV with a 300 mile range comes on the market, I am first in line.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here again today - all but 3 spots ICEd.

First bay I parked in, charger wouldn't play ball with my Source London tag. Phoned them, but as I was talking to him I tried the other empty bay and it worked - so logged fault and moved car.

7kW side would not recognise my car for some reason, so had to switch to 3kW side with my other cable.

As I was leaving a woman in a Merc asked if I would move the trolley parked at the back of the 3rd free bay so she could back in. I asked her if she knew that these bays are for electric cars - her response? "It doesn't say ONLY".

Got bored, walked off.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I did have a walk around the car park as I dropped some bags off while the wife and daughters were in the darkened hell-hole that is Hollister and made a discovery.

Whilst the above discussed oft-ICE'd bays are on "Middle" (-2) in zone 59 next to the Tesla bays there is another section down on "Lower" (-3) over the back by zone 94 - this has 10 large bays each with 13A sockets at the back - all were empty when I went there today.

As the 7kW sockets rarely work when I do get parking in zone 59 and usually end up on the 3-pin anyway, I will be heading down to zone 94 from now on...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts