Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody let me know about charging (type 2) at Westfield. I'm planning a trip in May in the LEAF24. I'm planning a charge at Oxford M40 services and hope to park at Westfield and get a charge whilst I go down to Olympia.
It'll be my 1st time taking the LEAF into London. What do I need to know?
I guess I need to register the EV (£10) with tfl to exempt the congestion charge. I also need to get a Source London rfid card (£5).
Is that everything?
Also can someone tell me how reliable the chargers are? Are they often busy or ice'd. Are they all working at the moment?
I'd be grateful for any advice.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Westfield (Shepherd's Bush) isn't inside the congestion charging zone, so you don't need to worry about that.

Source London is no longer £5 per annum. It's now £4/month, minimum subscription period 12 months, plus time-based usage charges (3.4p per minute) on about 50% of their charge points.

I'd suggest don't bother with Source London these days, especially as a visitor, it's not worthwhile - charge on the way in and on the way out (Beaconsfield services isn't that far out on the M40).

Depending on what other cards you have, you may be able to use some of the Chargemaster-operated points in Westminster for 'free' (congestion charges may apply). Source London list the Westfield (Shepherd's bush) chargers as out of service.

·
Ecohound
1,130 Posts
There is a lot of news about London charging extra for Diesels to park and to go into the congestion zone but Source London are trying to make it impossible to charge a visiting EV. As for the congestion charge it isn't worth getting exemption for a one off visit as the cost to register is the same as a day's fee. Plus for a high tech system exemption is a time consuming paper trail, go figure that out. (n)
As @Simon Hewison said Chargemaster is a good option but I would look at justpark and adjust the search to find only EV Charging then you get cheap parking and a charged car. (y)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Westfield (Shepherd's Bush) isn't inside the congestion charging zone, so you don't need to worry about that.

Source London is no longer £5 per annum. It's now £4/month, minimum subscription period 12 months, plus time-based usage charges (3.4p per minute) on about 50% of their charge points.

I'd suggest don't bother with Source London these days, especially as a visitor, it's not worthwhile - charge on the way in and on the way out (Beaconsfield services isn't that far out on the M40).

Depending on what other cards you have, you may be able to use some of the Chargemaster-operated points in Westminster for 'free' (congestion charges may apply). Source London list the Westfield (Shepherd's bush) chargers as out of service.
Thanks. Glad I asked. Interesting that the infrastructure is continuing to deteriorate!
Beaconsfield it is then. Shame as it adds 30 mins to an already long trip (whereas destination charging adds nothing to the journey).

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
On the lower level at Westfield there are 13A sockets that don't need a Source London card. Of course there is more likelyhood they will be in use now that visitors like us can't use the RFID posts. Also if a busy day they could be ICEd.

Reactions: John Riley

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Olympia is not in the CC zone - it only starts east of Edgware Road/Hyde Park.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Will second the asement level 13a sockets. From memory there are about 6-8 spaces and I have never seen it iced yet in half a dozen visits. No card needed. Plug in and £8 per day parking, tube station a 5 min walk.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
West London Nissan at the side of the A40 just after the Hanger Lane Tunnel (when heading into London) has a rapid charger.

I've used it a few times before heading into central London.

After the tunnel you need to get into the left lane of the A40 and peel off to the left after a few hundred yards. This lane then allows you to u-turn / loop round and cross the A40 to reach the dealership.
After charging head away from London on the A40, but do not go into the Hanger Lane tunnel, instead stay left heading for the Hanger Lane Gyratory, and about 50 yards before the traffic lights you'll find a u-turn cut in the right hand lane, saving you the ag of having to go round the Gyratory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know if there are any chargers available here now? Planning a day trip into London next week. I was able to activate one of the old source London points in the upper levels a long time ago and last time back in the summer was able to use a 3 pin plug on the lower levels. Are these still available? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
Be annoying if they still haven't got any working. I couldn't get any of the old Polar to work with my legacy card last October. They really need to remove them.

I also heading there next week on two days and be good to get a top up.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I was there on Friday and can confirm that the new chargers are still not in use - they still have the 'awaiting commissioning' stickers on them. The 3-pin plugs on the lower levels have been removed. I didn't try the old Source London points as there are reports on Plugshare of none of them delivering power (I don't know whether they're even still present).

There are some ESB rapid chargers a minute away at the Scrubs Lane Car Park however. They accept contactless so no membership needed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Update, as I was there yesterday. The 3-pin plugs on -3 are in fact still present, however all but two are turned off. The spaces are also not marked for EV only. A Leaf and a G-Wiz were charging on the only two working sockets, so I had to go without :(

Not sure what Chargemaster are up to here but those new chargers are surely needed now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know of any better alternatives? Used to work well here to park for £6 and charge for free and use the tube into London for a day trip. Coming from Bristol. Might just have to charge on M4 in the way in and out I guess.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are a Costco member you could park at Wembley Costco. 7-8 minutes walk to tube. There are 62 free type 2 chargers. You just ask the tyre shop guys to turn on the power.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Slightly off thread but at the Leicester Highcross shopping centre car park there are over 100 13A socketed charging bays which can be ICE'd but with at least ten on each level you can always find a few available.

Always handy for a top up and free to use (pay to park).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.