Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked in iPhone AppStore to download this mysterious UVO App. There seem to be a few. Can someone screenshot the correct one for me please! Picking up the e Niro 4 tomorrow. Also - where can I sign up for the various cards and IDs for public charging devices? V excited today, may not sleep tonight.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Question about cards and IDs. So many options and some differ from where you are in the country(all 4) as coverage can be quite regional.

There are quite a few you can register with and create an account for charge payment e.g. Polar, some require use of Apps others have RFID cards (or both) and some, notably the new boys on the block you can just pay with a debit card e.g. Instavolt. Best place I know to check options is ZapMap see Public charging networks - national and regional EV charging networks

there are also quite a few free vends as well e.g. Podpoint charges at selected Tesco stores. Again Zap-Map is good at helping you find chargers nearby and enroute

Unless you are different from most of us you will also probably do most of your charging at home so try and find the best deal for electricity.

Iam sure other replies will follow and if after doing your own homework people on this forum will always answer questions.

Enjoy your e-Niro though

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looked in iPhone AppStore to download this mysterious UVO App. There seem to be a few. Can someone screenshot the correct one for me please! Picking up the e Niro 4 tomorrow. Also - where can I sign up for the various cards and IDs for public charging devices? V excited today, may not sleep tonight.
Apple version new one out in a couple of day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks re the Apple new UVO app info. So much to learn, so little time!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The UVO app is sometimes a bit flaky. At least we have it for the e-Niro 4, previous generation in UK didn't have it. I find that you have to send commands twice sometimes. Usually for turning on the aircon remotely. Usually get a notification failed but seems to work when send it a second time. I got an email today telling me to update app but not on Play Store yet. Kia replied will be in couple of days. Hopefully update will improve it.
Remember car connects online to receive remote commands and won't work in underground car parks. I tried to turn on aircon when out shopping but wouldn't work then realised why!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm new to EV's as well and have the e-Niro 4. Some companies that used to issue RFID cards have stopped and used apps. Ecotricity and Polar are app based. Polar has a sign up or instant option. Sign up requires a fee but then reduced charges at charger or instant is a bit more expensive. Some are free apart from a £1.20 charge. Unless you plan to do a lot of Polar charging not worth subscription to me. Chargepoint issues a card or can use app. Ionity chargers are increasing now but charge is £0.69/kwh!! Ones near me have been free for ages. There's a Bjorn Nyland video which explains about getting a Maingau RFID card and price drops to I think £0.35/kwh??? It's free to register online, they send you a card and then add a payment card onto account. Instavolt and Shell are contactless payments.

In this day and age it's odd that they aren't all contactless. If app based then need a 4G signal on phone which might be a problem in underground car parks

·
Registered
324 Posts
In this day and age it's odd that they aren't all contactless. If app based then need a 4G signal on phone which might be a problem in underground car parks
Note that Electric Highway chargers have their own wi-fi which you may be able to use rather than your 3G or 4G signal. So usually not a problem with Electric Highway.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
So much to learn, so little time!
No reason to rush around signing up to every charge model going though. With the range you’ve got, unless you’re doing huge mileage or road trips, you won’t charge much away from home. Think about the areas you travel to, not about your own area assuming you have a home charger.

Don’t spend your life constantly trying to find a charger to plug into if you don’t actually need one. Sounds obvious but you’d be amazed how many people I still see plugging their car in with a 95% full battery just to a) look smug or b) save 3p or worse still c) lay claim to a conveniently large and well located parking space.

Caveat to the above is that you need to familiarise yourself with how to charge with different chargers when quiet, dry, warm and convenient rather than in the driving snow in the services at Abergodforsaken.

Look for chargers with contactless payment and no app if you can, it’ll save you no end of grief.

If you are going to sign up for a charge network, opt for the RFID option if there is one, messing with a phone instead is infuriating madness.

Just my view ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everybody for your thoughts and experience, it’s all gold dust for me. Like - what is RFID please?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you everybody for your thoughts and experience, it’s all gold dust for me. Like - what is RFID please?
It's credit card shaped. Anyway, what happened to the govt edict that the vendors all had to make their chargers contactless, price notwithstanding? Was I dreaming? Re Podpoint at Tesco. Again, watch out for the/any hours limit on parking. Certainly 3 hours in Exmouth as I found out to my £20 cost! Personally, I use Ecotricity and Instavolt for rapid/DC charging.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Radio Frequency Identification is any old piece of plastic with an RFID tag in it that allows contactless identification by a device. Bit like your contactless payment card.

As above, supposed to be being phased out as a method of ID and payment for the good of all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I spoke to Kia CS this week about the UVO app and the fact that the unlock feature wasn't working and was told that this has been disabled in the UK due to a problem with the insurance companies.
Anyway, the new version of the app is now out for IOS. I notice that this corrects a problem where the time displayed for events was out in the UK at any rate and there is also a battery condition symbol on the screen which I don't remember being there before (or didn't notice) and I assume this is referring to the 12v one..

However, I still get an error when turning on the AC. The car responds and does turn it on OK but the app reports it has failed. Before I try speaking to Kia again is anyone else having that problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts