Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from a short drive today and it was sunny so I plugged in my zappi and set to eco. App shows I was generating about 2kw so assumed that should be enough - no lights on in the house etc.

but the myenergi app was reporting the house using. 800-1800w so it was importing from the grid. Strange. I guessed maybe the sensors weren’t right so I finished topping up and unplugged the charger. House still showing 800-1200w usage.

so I dig out the Scottish power smart meter display which should communicate directly with the meter. Showed basically the same. On the positive side this suggests the zappi setup is correct. But what on earth is drawing so much leccy? We’ve since turned on some lights but they’re led so not much. No dishwasher/tumble dryer/kettle/oven. Heating is gas and not on anyway. TV is off as are most other things so should just be maybe 1-200e standby gubbins

any thoughts? Going a bit crazy here

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This is right now (6pm). No TV on just a handful of LED lights

·
Registered
326 Posts
Switch your main switch off and all mcbs, make sure everything goes to zero, then turn your main switch on then mcbs 1 by 1. When it goes up you'll see what circuit(s) is using the power and work it out from there.

Might be all the things on stand by, oven,cooker, fridge, TV, zappi etc

·
Registered
191 Posts
The freezer maybe, one of my computers use 500w
when I got one of those plug in power meter things I was shocked at just how much power my old PC was using so when I was looking around for a replacement I took the time to look closely at the power numbers for each. I don't play computer games so had no need for anything powerful and managed to find a small PC that barely uses more than about 10W most of the time. A really nice surprise was that it doesn't make any noise either as my old PC sounded like I had a jet plane sat under my desk. Of all the things we have done to try and cut down on our electricity bill I think changing that PC was one of the things that made the biggest difference especially as I was a bit lazy and so used to leave it on a lot of the time just to save waiting for it to start up. The only downside is that my study now gets colder in winter as before the PC was working like a small fan heater I think.

Years ago we had a chest freezer in the garage that went haywire and pushed the electricity bill way up. Took us a long time to work out that it was the freezer doing it and even then I only noticed when I was doing some work in the garage and could hear the freezer running all the time. When we turned it off ready for the new one we had floods of water everywhere and the bloke delivering the new one reckoned this was not unusual as when they go wrong like this all the insulation inside ends up as a solid block of ice from all the water it has soaked up over the years. If we had one of those power meter gadgets back then it would have been a lot easier to find that the thing was not working well.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,952 Posts
Once you start installing proper power monitoring software you get a bit obsessive.

When we moved into this house I changed all the lights to LED, and ripped out anything that looked suspect. Even the amplifier for the TV aerial.

Now we’re down to a base load of around 200 watts, and it’s a fairly big house.

Things like pool pumps only get run if there’s excess solar!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No immersion that’s all gas combi. No computers on - tuned off my Nas and the little media computer when they installed the charger and haven’t turned them back on yet. Nee fridge freezer should be fairly effixient

just checked my smart meter and it’s saying I seem to average 500kwh per month which seems very high.. and I have (small) solar which should offset at least some of that during the day..

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't believe you would forget if you had these but:
  • Offspring with fan heater in bedroom?
  • Swimming pool filtration system?
  • Jacuzzi?
  • Really big fish tank?
  • Underfloor heating somewhere? (Conservatory? Kitchen? Bathroom?)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Mains sockets with USB built-in, phone chargers left plugged in and switched on, tv on standby, sky box, cordless phones, microwave alarm clock, they all add up.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Does the gas heater also heat up your warm tap water or do you have separate water boilers with a tank?

How is your electrical system?
Is it new?

The heater may be gas but the water pumps that recirculate the water draw electric power. Are you positive that the pumps of the heater are off? Those sometimes run even with the heater off.

Do you have a garden? > Heated irrigation system, heating elements in the soil.
A water well? > water pump
Forced ventilation? Fans and air pumps

It was warm these days so air conditioning on auto?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
1kw is a lot for "standby". My house has a lot of electrical stuff, multiple computers that are never off, fish tank with heater and lights, two fridges etc etc. 1kw is a typical base load with all the stuff running. When the lights and TV's and things go off for the night, usage drops back to about 600w. Thats mainly the the computer equipment thats never off, and stuff like fridges and fish tank heaters (you see them cycling in and out)

However, your screengrab from MyEnergie doesnt show any Solar generation at all. Its showing 1.7KW from the grid to the house. Perhaps you were actually exporting 1.7kw and your CT's arent setup properly??

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,056 Posts
As a comparison... small house with two adults, no solar, combi gas heating, jmder cupbpard fridge in the house, large freezer in the shed. All led lighting. Now we’re both working from home all the time our usage has gone up to average 300kW a month. That includes a bit of car charging but not much as we’re not going anywhere. I try to keep standby stuff to a minimum. it’s a while since I checked the idle load, and I don’t have a smart meter. Based on what you’ve said there’s definitely something not right. You need to isolate circuits and see where the load is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts