Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of us have our own hints or hacks which we do in our ZS EV’s to make it just right for us. It may be a driving setting (eg Economy mode E and Kers mode 3), a particular accessory, an app on your phone, where you store your sunnies or how to get around a particular foible. You never know that hint or hack maybe just the thing others have never thought of doing, but now they read it they’ll never be able to live without it.

Please respond with your hint or hack here and try and keep it specific to the ZS EV experience rather than car driving in general.

PS - I don’t have any hints or hacks yet as I don’t get my ZS EV until mid-December 😀, so I’m very keen to hear yours to start using them in my ZS EV when it arrives

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A couple of usb powered lights, one in the front pointing to the pasenger, one in the back pointing at the floor, give some much needed illumination for people getting in and out.

I used a pair of these, I think they were only £3 the pair at the time.
The plastic shells aren't well glued together, and I simply melted the plastic with a warm soldering iron to weld them firmly.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,395 Posts
Not a hack, but would seriously like to have timed charging controlled by the car. A la Zoe, Leaf and several others. MG missed a trick when not doing this.

Reactions: Carty and PeterG

·
Registered
133 Posts
Most of us have our own hints or hacks which we do in our ZS EV’s to make it just right for us. It may be a driving setting (eg Economy mode E and Kers mode 3), a particular accessory, an app on your phone, where you store your sunnies or how to get around a particular foible. You never know that hint or hack maybe just the thing others have never thought of doing, but now they read it they’ll never be able to live without it.

Please respond with your hint or hack here and try and keep it specific to the ZS EV experience rather than car driving in general.

PS - I don’t have any hints or hacks yet as I don’t get my ZS EV until mid-December 😀, so I’m very keen to hear yours to start using them in my ZS EV when it arrives
You took the plunge then, after your earlier post!

In normal driving mode and KERs 3 you can drive without using the brake, almost. This is efficient in energy use, you anticipate more and drive a little more relaxed. You still have good performance and gain best range. On warm days and at touring speeds averaging 35 mph you can achieve over 200 miles. Now that it has turned cooler you might still achieve 160 miles at that speed. Motorway cruising will sap the battery, the car isn’t good aerodynamically but on warm days at just under 70 you will get 160 miles, or 125/135 on cool days. Rain seems to make quite a difference?

if you are touring carry your granny charger and a good quality extension lead. The extension cable should be at least 1.5mm for a 10m or shorter or 2.5mm if longer. In houses with older wiring the kettle socket in the kitchen might be a safe spot to plug in.

You might want to replace the light in the boot with a brighter LED bulb.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Got the comfort update.
Always use CarPlay to avoid the terrible infotainment system.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Hmmm. There are several.

Ohme cable
Bilstein dampers
OVMS
Tinted windows

To name a few in no particular order.

Reactions: Carty and PeterG

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Hmmm. There are several.

Ohme cable
Bilstein dampers
OVMS
Tinted windows

I had the side and rear wind screen tinted on my Dynamic Red Exclusive and "I" think it improves the appearance of the car no end !.
Also, it help reduce the heat and sun glare into the back of the car as well.
Really great if you are carrying children around in the hot weather.
The ZS EV does not have A/C directional vents in the rear of the car, so cutting down on the heat & glare coming through the windows in the summer is a great advantage.
It's not that the manual A/C system is not good enough, but it does have a long way to travel before getting to the rear seat passengers.
Odd, that they though fit to add a tint / protection to the sun roof, but left the rest of the glass ALMOST clear ?.
If you are considering tint's, just be careful if you decide to include tinting the drivers and passengers front glass.
There is strict legal rules on the level of tint you are permitted to install ( IF ANY ) to these particular windows.
I know the ZS EV is apparently installed with "ALMOST" clear glass, but almost is the key word here.
I do advise caution before tinting these windows !.
The guy I used to tint my windows has been installing and training for almost twenty years now and he refuses to tint any of the above glass panels.
He said there are MANY companies who WILL carry out this tinting, but he will not be drawn into any legal liability regarding tinting of these panels.

Here is the legal stance / limits on tinting car windows.

Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
The rules for tinted front windscreens and front side windows depend on when the vehicle was first used. ( See Above ).
"There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows."

So, from the "B' pilar back, you can tint to pretty much any level you would like.
I opted NOT to tint the drivers and passengers front glass to avoid any conflict with my insurance company.
Just played safe really.
Would anybody go to the bother of checking if the car was involved in an accident - no, probably not.
99 times out of 100 you would get away with it.
Not much use if you are the 1% who had his claim rejected because of this issue !.
It's a individual's choice on this subject, but just a bit of food for thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. There are several.

Ohme cable
Bilstein dampers
OVMS
Tinted windows

Mike,

What difference does an OHME cable make (presume you use this cable instead of the supplied one when put on the road)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Sorry to but in, but I believe you can control timed delay charging with the OHME unit to take advantage of cheaper “Off Peak” electricity.
The supplied MG “Granny” in its standard format, or the car itself does NOT have this ability.
I don’t own the OHME unit myself personally, but I am sure Mike will correct me if my understanding is incorrect here.
Because the ZS EV does not have any internal features in the head unit to control delayed charging function, then delayed charging can be a bit of a problem ( if you want it of course ).
This subject has been covered at some length in another thread Pete.
Some members with certain types of the older “Dumb” wall boxes ( like myself ) have adapted their units to carry out a delayed charge from a “App” on their smart phones.
Pete - If you intend to stay on a single rate tariff, then non of this info is of any use at all !.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to but in, but I believe you can control timed delay charging with the OHME unit to take advantage of cheaper “Off Peak” electricity.
The supplied MG “Granny” in its standard format, or the car itself does NOT have this ability.
I don’t own the OHME unit myself personally, but I am sure Mike will correct me if my understanding is incorrect here.
Because the ZS EV does not have any internal features in the head unit to control delayed charging function, then delayed charging can be a bit of a problem ( if you want it of course ).
This subject has been covered at some length in another thread Pete.
Some members with certain types of the older “Dumb” wall boxes ( like myself ) have adapted their units to carry out a delayed charge from a “App” on their smart phones.
Pete - If you intend to stay on a single rate tariff, then non of this info is of any use at all !.
Peter if you are to have a 7kw charger installed and I believe the Scottish govt is helpful on this you have a wide range of options. I suspect it will have to be of the latest ‘clever’ type which is supposed to allow the grid to intervene to prompt or stop charging in order to control demand. My dealer recommended Rolec but there have been issues with it, though it is finally working after the latest software update. Ohme works well with the car, I understand, and supports the Octopus Agile tariff. Many of us use this tariff which shadows the half hourly day ahead price of electricity, when it is very windy we even get paid to take it off the grid. Use the link in my signature and we share £100 If you decide to switch. Once with Octopus you can get an Ohme charger for just £199. That may not be of benefit in Scotland. However installing a commando socket with the commando version of the charger gives you the option to take it with you, maybe use it at a frequently visited relative if they have a commando socket installed.

And one further hack, practise with a rapid charger or two before being in the position of having to use one. They are all a bit different like coffee machines, the last thing you want is to be stuck on a cold night, oh and carry a small torch, unlike petrol stations they may be dark and uncovered!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peter if you are to have a 7kw charger installed and I believe the Scottish govt is helpful on this you have a wide range of options. I suspect it will have to be of the latest ‘clever’ type which is supposed to allow the grid to intervene to prompt or stop charging in order to control demand. My dealer recommended Rolec but there have been issues with it, though it is finally working after the latest software update. Ohme works well with the car, I understand, and supports the Octopus Agile tariff. Many of us use this tariff which shadows the half hourly day ahead price of electricity, when it is very windy we even get paid to take it off the grid. Use the link in my signature and we share £100 If you decide to switch. Once with Octopus you can get an Ohme charger for just £199. That may not be of benefit in Scotland. However installing a commando socket with the commando version of the charger gives you the option to take it with you, maybe use it at a frequently visited relative if they have a commando socket installed.

And one further hack, practise with a rapid charger or two before being in the position of having to use one. They are all a bit different like coffee machines, the last thing you want is to be stuck on a cold night, oh and carry a small torch, unlike petrol stations they may be dark and uncovered!
Thanks Brian, I already have a Rolec charger (7.2 kw), got it when I had an Audi e-TRON. Might see about getting it upgraded at some point as my understanding is it’s compatible with the MG ZS EV. As for Octopus will look at that in September as I’ve just renewed with Shell and am locked in for 12 months

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks Brian, I already have a Rolec charger (7.2 kw), got it when I had an Audi e-TRON. Might see about getting it upgraded at some point as my understanding is it’s compatible with the MG ZS EV. As for Octopus will look at that in September as I’ve just renewed with Shell and am locked in for 12 months
I think you’ll find hacks to put a timer in your Rolec which will do the trick for a few pounds. The timer only uses low voltage so it’s no big deal. I’ll look for a link and send it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you’ll find hacks to put a timer in your Rolec which will do the trick for a few pounds. The timer only uses low voltage so it’s no big deal. I’ll look for a link and send it.
Why would I need a timer? My tariff doesn’t allow for off-peak charging

·
Registered
918 Posts
Why would I need a timer? My tariff doesn’t allow for off-peak charging
Imagine you return home at 6.00pm with a battery that is half full. You plan to depart at 9.00am the following day to make a 300 mile journey. If you put your car on charge straight away it is fully charged by 8.30pm, sits on 100% for 12.5 hours and you depart with a cold battery. If you had a timer and set it to complete charging just before departure you sit at 100% for less time (potentially increasing longevity) and depart with a warmer battery which means your car will perform better and charge faster once you reach the first rapid.

To be fair these are small benefits compared to what off-peak charging can offer, but it still feels like a retrograde step when earlier EVs had these feature.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If your present Rolec unit is "Dumb" and working correctly, then why bother upgrading unless you are going for a better quality wall box of course.
IF - In the future you DID intended to switch to a low rate "Off Peak" tariff to reduce your running costs, then you do need the facility to time your charges to co-inside with the cheaper rate.
I would consider what @Brian G suggests and install a Wi-Fi controlled switch into your current wall box.
This can be done at a really low cost and installed in very short time frame ( BUT only if you are comfortable taking on this type of work or speak to your friendly spark ).
The Wi-Fi switch can be controlled by an "App" from your phone.
This take place of the feature that SHOULD be installed in the car straight from the factory.
But that is a completely different debate that is best left locked inside it's box for this thread.
Many forum owners have adapted their older style wall boxes ( Not just Rolec ) and are now benefiting from really cheap ( some times even free ) energy from their suppliers when demand is at a low rate and ( or ) a negative value.
Apart from the convenience kindly pointed out by @WalkingBootWeather.
I thought this opportunity to achieve cheaper running costs should appeal to most EV drivers ?.
This is only one reason why we love EV's of course ! ;) .

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
Hmmm. There are several.

Ohme cable
Bilstein dampers
OVMS
Tinted windows

(y)

Of that lot I'd say Window tints are first on the list. Make a massive difference on a sunny day keeping the car cool, and heck they look pretty nice too. Then OVMS. Ohme if your going to go with Octopus energy otherwise its not really of any use to you at full retail, take too long to pay back. Dampers are very much a personal handling thing. Most ZS drivers have no issue with the ZS. Some want it a bit more taught (i'd like that for personal feel, but accept it might then be too hard for the kids in the back).

Reactions: PeterG and Carty

·
Registered
121 Posts
Timed charging hack:
If using a granny cable to charge and you have cheap electricity at a certain time eg Octopus Go, use an alexa enabled smart plug and schedule in your start and end times for charging. Plug in to the MG and it only charges for these times. Works great if you've had the relevant update. And there you have it, cheap scheduled timed charging for a granny cable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Timed charging hack:
If using a granny cable to charge and you have cheap electricity at a certain time eg Octopus Go, use an alexa enabled smart plug and schedule in your start and end times for charging. Plug in to the MG and it only charges for these times. Works great if you've had the relevant update. And there you have it, cheap scheduled timed charging for a granny cable.
Wazza - shared this on a couple of other forums and was warned of some smart plugs going on fire - one even had a photo of the burned plug. Would be very cautious about doing this

1 - 20 of 23 Posts