Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At last i am getting myself into a position to get an EV

I think i will be doing a daily mileage of about 40ish miles a day 5 days a week driving to my work is postcode AB12 3GQ

I am budgeting about £200ish a month

Which puts me into the realm of a 2nd hand Zoe or a Leaf

However i am tempted by an i3

So what are your thoughts?

Zoe or Leaf

Or a wee bit more and a i3

or go ultra stupid and get a model 3

·
Registered
821 Posts
I got burnt buying an i3 Rex that broke but still appreciate they’re funky and different. I thought the handling was a bit weird so have a go in one. For that mileage you only need a small battery version of any of them for daily usage. Just don’t buy a cheap Rex. Well any of them outside of warranty.

I do 40 miles a day in a Zoe 22 now. Does the job fine... just make you are still inside the warranty so you can extend it every year. Had a Leaf previously which I slightly regret swapping for the Zoe but I would have been outside the warranty by the time the PCP finished.

Both are a bit mundane compared to the i3.

If I could justify the cost I’d have a Model 3 over all of them. Like a lot of things it’s want v need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern with the i3 is German reliabilty

AND

The 100% MUST HAVE FEATURE are

1 It can pre-heat in the morning so i don’t have to scrap the windows
2 Bluetooth streaming

Would like to have

1 Radar guided cruise control
2 Heated seats

·
Registered
821 Posts
The Zoe and Leaf can do the top two. Heated seats were on certain trims or an option.

I’m not a gadget fan but the newer shape Leaf might have the fancy cruise control.

If you have an aversion to German quality you might want to avoid a Zoe too. :)

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Is the Zoe somewhat problematic or is it damn expensive to fix ?
Zoe is less reliable than the Leaf but (based on reports here) probably no worse than i3.

Zoe 22kWh have 4 year warranty which can be extended for a fraction of the cost vs. BMW. At present all EVs are expensive to fix unless you can find an independent and use breakers parts. Unfortunately not many independents, but slowly improving

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Do you intend to keep another non-EV for longer journeys? Because the Leaf is likely your best cheap EV bet - but it's a PITA for longer journeys. If you can afford it and go for a Model 3 you won't need an ICE, especially if you can stretch to a LR model - though even the SR+ should be good enough for most things - if/when I can afford and justify it I hope to get an SR+ to serve as the "long range" car alongside my Leaf.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 2013 Zoe, the Renault warranty had run out but I bought a warranty from an aftermarket warranty company, was £240 for the year. EVs are simple but if something major fails (motor controller, charger, air con is also complex on the Zoe as it cools the battery) then the part alone can be thousands!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a VW e-Up for sale which would meet your needs. See my for sale thread. Its a 63 reg with only 25000 miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a VW e-Up for sale which would meet your needs. See my for sale thread. Its a 63 reg with only 25000 miles
I don't know if i could own one of those

mainly due to the temptation todo a silly Yorkshire voice whenever anyone asked what it was

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't know if i could own one of those

mainly due to the temptation todo a silly Yorkshire voice whenever anyone asked what it was
Cough... and what's wrong with a silly Yorkshire accent?

:)

If I had the money outright I'd be tempted!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My 13 Reg Sunderland built 24kWh Leaf is this winter doing 0.5 to 0.6 miles per %SOC (State of Charge), and that is after having been stood outside for 36 hours in the cold, and then doing short (7.5-10 mile) journeys. For 40 miles, this would could at a worst case (wet and adverse winds) take the %SOC down from 100% to 20% (which is reasonable) and with regular daily journeys of this length the battery would be kept warmer and so you would get a better mileage per %SOC.

Being the Acenta model, it has heated seats and steering wheel, and I think it has bluetooth but I am not into that technology.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main thing that puts me off the MK1 leaf is the silly electric handbrake as when i first looked into leafs they were appearring to be troublesome

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Get a Sunderland built one, with the foot-operated mechanical parking brake. It's only the original built-in-Japan models with the electronic one. You also would get a heat pump, which is close to essential in my book (assuming you go for the Acenta or Tekna).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts