Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just stopped 64 miles from home to charge my new ID3, driven all the way from Evesham to Thirsk (final destination is North Shields).

Firstly, had a scare with the trains - luckily mine from Newcastle to Birmingham and then Birmingham to Worcester weren't affected by the Hitachi issue, but my last one was, so had to get bus & short taxi ride.

When I drove off, I was 20 miles into my journey and all the vdntilationsettings were greyed out. Can you only adjust fan speeds etc when stationary or was my ID3 glitching?

At a stop for charging I was able to make changes.

Once I got down to 70 mile range, satnav was driving me round the bend telling me to stop at the next EV charger I come to, but not the next one on the way...no, it was wanting me to go south to backtrack rather than picking one that's on the way.

Then with 33 indicated miles left I stopped at a shell garage to charge which the ID3 seemingly didn't know existed.

Then I made the rookie mistake of selecting the 43kW AC charger - put 3 kWh in in 25 mins. Unplugged when I eventually got it to unlock the charging point doing sequences of unlocking and opening/shutting of doors. Then plugged the fast charger in and my card declined. After 10 mins of faffing with the charger plugs, the charger decided to accept my card. Now doing a fast charge to 20kWh to get me comfortably home looks like it's doing a kWh per min.

The ACC was locking onto.50mph signs up the sliproads from the M1 and kept trying to reduce my speed- annoying!

Doing 70mph all the way it was averaging 3.6 miles per kWh, maybe it would've been better if I'd had access to my ventilation controls to put the fan on rather than reduce the AC temp (I could do that, but with seemingly no fan at all pushing the cold air through and I usually recirculate when using AC).

Going to have to go through the virtual manual and make a lot of settings changes!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just stopped 64 miles from home to charge my new ID3, driven all the way from Evesham to Thirsk (final destination is North Shields).

Firstly, had a scare with the trains - luckily mine from Newcastle to Birmingham and then Birmingham to Worcester weren't affected by the Hitachi issue, but my last one was, so had to get bus & short taxi ride.

When I drove off, I was 20 miles into my journey and all the vdntilationsettings were greyed out. Can you only adjust fan speeds etc when stationary or was my ID3 glitching?

At a stop for charging I was able to make changes.

Once I got down to 70 mile range, sat at was driving me round the bend telling me to stop at the next EV charger I come to, but not the next one on the way...no, it was wanting me to go south to backtrack rather than picking one that's on the way.

Then with 33 indicated miles left I stopped at a shell garage to charge which the ID3 seemingly didn't know existed.

Then I made the rookie mistake of selecting the 43kW AC charger - put 3 kWh in in 25 mins. Unplugged when I eventually got it to unlock the charging point doing sequences of unlocking and opening/shutting of doors. Then plugged the fast charger in and my card declined. After 10 mins of faffing with the charger plugs, the charger decided to accept my card. Now doing a fast charge to 20kWh to get me comfortably home looks like it's doing a kWh per min.

The ACC was locking onto.50mph signs up the sliproads from the M1 and kept trying to reduce my speed- annoying!

Doing 70mph all the way it was averaging 3.6 miles per kWh, maybe it would've been better if I'd had access to my ventilation controls to put the fan on rather than reduce the AC temp (I could do that, but with seemingly no fan at all pushing the cold air through and I usually recirculate when using AC).

Going to have to go through the virtual manual and make a lot of settings changes!
Ventilation greyed out doesn’t sound correct. I’ve had issues were 2 zones became 1 (not just synced before anyone asks) and system stopping completely, but never just greyed out.

I’d say you’ve some sort of software problem

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I learned the hard way, much better to top half way along the journey, top up the extra few miles needed. Only wait for low battery if you are really needing the range and are confident of the chargers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ventilation greyed out doesn’t sound correct. I’ve had issues were 2 zones became 1 (not just synced before anyone asks) and system stopping completely, but never just greyed out.

I’d say you’ve some sort of software problem
At one point trying to select the items on the greyed out screen it said something like "selection unavailable".
I got into the menu at a standstill, after having switched the ignition off and back on then left it to charge back up to 40%. Once on the move again for the last 64 miles, I could get in and out of there and adjust fan directionality, AC temp, recirculation etc. Hoping it was a "first use" glitch that won't be repeated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I got into the menu at a standstill, after having switched the ignition off and back on then left it to charge back up to 40%. Once on the move again for the last 64 miles, I could get in and out of there and adjust fan directionality, AC temp, recirculation etc. Hoping it was a "first use" glitch that won't be repeated.
Yes hopefully - my worry is that faults seem to occur randomly - sometimes things work, other times, the same things don’t.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I learned the hard way, much better to top half way along the journey, top up the extra few miles needed. Only wait for low battery if you are really needing the range and are confident of the chargers.
I was hoping that the car would make it back all the way - it was always a slim chance but if I'd have stuck.to 60mph, I'd have probably made it, I just didn't expect the car to be so interfering with almost 70 miles left on the clock and trying to make me double back on myself instead of forwards to get to a charger. If I had 20 miles left and I just passed a charger and the next one was 20 miles away, I could understand the logic, but not with almost 70 miles left.

Charging away from home is going to be a real rarity, so probably not going to have to experience that again for a while. If we're going for a 200+ mile round trip, I'll probably take the Polo GTI+.

There was real anxiety about my debit card being declined the second time I tried to use it to charge though! I had no other means of paying for my charge as our Labrador got hold of my wallet and wrecked it, along with 2 of my 3 cards yesterday!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gone are the days where the driver has control of the car it seams
Yep! The car picking up lower speed limits on slip roads you were passing by and trying to slow the car down accordingly was a real annoyance. I went right through the menus, especially in assistance systems and saw no adjustment in sensitivity or field of view to reduce incidence. Despite it raining almost all the way home, the car is covered in splattered midges.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So...my other thoughts on the car:-

Those seats with the questionable cloth are very comfy. 170 miles travelled before I stopped and I was as fresh as a daisy (I often get an ache on the inside edge of my right knee doing much shorter journeys in the Polo and A4 (before it went) - some of this might be sitting more upright in the ID3.

The East Derry Alloys are much better looking in the flesh, pity they're shod with Flintstone tyres 🤢.

Might need a brighter day to be sure, but I feel a bit robbed by the white paint - it looks like solid white, couldn't see any metallic sparkle at all. White against all that black does contrast well though.

Glad to see anthracite headlining - VW usually reserve this for GTI/GTD/R, and I'd rather have anthracite than cream with 2 mucky kids!

Was surprised not to see chrome pause/play pedal caps - was this a first edition only thing or do most of the higher specs have it? Thought they all did. Chrome pedals will be an easy/cheap fix if the pedals are standard size to a DSG Golf.

Despite lots of people struggling with the interface/menus, I managed to find my way around them quite easily - got lots of practice looking for a way of getting the ventilation/AC menus up and working! I prefer the combo screen with a bit of map, bit of car status and music playing. Stuck my USB-C memory stick in one of the slots and got it working straight away on the side nearest the drivers side. As a front passenger, the sound was fine for me on those 2 speakers.

The ride was as comfy as a Golf and the steering fel sharp. It really does feel like a responsive hatchback rather than a tall wallowy SUV, despite its height and weight.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah, the pedals are a 1st Ed thing only although I'm sure you could swap them over if you felt the need.

White paint is lovely in the sun and looks great with a fresh coat of wax.

Hopefully some of the issues you've experienced are first day glitches. I find that if I leave the car a week, it just seems to take a further minute or 2 to wake up fully. Might be me, might be not, just what I've noticed.

VW sat nav, you should know by now with your history of VAG cars that it's average at best. I personally use the zapmap app to see what chargers are on an intended and then Google maps to get me to them.

The speed signs on an adjacent road thing are annoying but not an exclusive to VW problem. I personally only use ACC on motorways and believe that's the spirit in which VW have intended its use. There's just to much going on on other roads for it to be relied upon.

We did 300 miles in the wife's Mk7.5 GTD the other day and it felt so agricultural and slow in comparison!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, the pedals are a 1st Ed thing only although I'm sure you could swap them over if you felt the need.

White paint is lovely in the sun and looks great with a fresh coat of wax.

Hopefully some of the issues you've experienced are first day glitches. I find that if I leave the car a week, it just seems to take a further minute or 2 to wake up fully. Might be me, might be not, just what I've noticed.

VW sat nav, you should know by now with your history of VAG cars that it's average at best. I personally use the zapmap app to see what chargers are on an intended and then Google maps to get me to them.

The speed signs on an adjacent road thing are annoying but not an exclusive to VW problem. I personally only use ACC on motorways and believe that's the spirit in which VW have intended its use. There's just to much going on on other roads for it to be relied upon.

We did 300 miles in the wife's Mk7.5 GTD the other day and it felt so agricultural and slow in comparison!
Yep, I'll probably by default leave ACC off, but for yesterday, there was about 200 miles of motorway and dual/triple carriageway roads. I was surprised how many 60-65mph pootlers there were on the road, and none of them were EVs trying to preserve range. There was a 19 plate BMW 325 sat not 10 yards behind a truck doing 55mph - hypermiling nutter - not a chance of seeing anything in front of that truck to know if it was about to brake.

One other small thing to mention - I had my Galaxy S10 in the charging slot and had android auto on. On a few sporadic occasions I had a message flash up to say it was charging, but I'm presuming the rest of the time it either wasn't or Android auto was pulling more charge than the ID3 charging could replenish because charge dropped from 42% to 18% from leaving the dealership to arriving at the Shell garage about 175 miles later. Is wireless charging a bit flaky or does the phone have to be in the slot strictly bottom down (it's possible I might have put the phone in upside down)?

The glossy black door grabs are begging to be wrapped, covered in fingerprints already and I hardly touched them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there no way to manually add a charger to the VW satnav?
Hopefully someone can answer that - just wondering whether the nav only has certain networks installed e.g. BP network and some others. My Shell stop definitely wasn't a consideration but I knew it was there.

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
Is the 'questionable' cloth as questionable in real life? I've not seen it for myself and since the grant changes, I'm a little hesitant about it all but would be looking at a Life.

Re the charging stations- it wouldn't surprise me if the map was out of date. I'm sure you can add in 'favourites' but not sure if it'll see it as a charging location?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,885 Posts
The Leaf had an update chargers list function buried in it. Wonder if the ID.3 is the same? If it's a connected car then it should do.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
Yep, I'll probably by default leave ACC off, but for yesterday, there was about 200 miles of motorway and dual/triple carriageway roads. I was surprised how many 60-65mph pootlers there were on the road, and none of them were EVs trying to preserve range. There was a 19 plate BMW 325 sat not 10 yards behind a truck doing 55mph - hypermiling nutter - not a chance of seeing anything in front of that truck to know if it was about to brake.

One other small thing to mention - I had my Galaxy S10 in the charging slot and had android auto on. On a few sporadic occasions I had a message flash up to say it was charging, but I'm presuming the rest of the time it either wasn't or Android auto was pulling more charge than the ID3 charging could replenish because charge dropped from 42% to 18% from leaving the dealership to arriving at the Shell garage about 175 miles later. Is wireless charging a bit flaky or does the phone have to be in the slot strictly bottom down (it's possible I might have put the phone in upside down)?

The glossy black door grabs are begging to be wrapped, covered in fingerprints already and I hardly touched them.
The car can be left to let the driver drive, you just have to switch off a few settings that default to on at first. AFAIK the only one that keeps switching itself back on is the lane assist function.

With regard to ACC picking up incorrect speed signs From the online manual:

"You can separately set the events to which the vehicle should react in the Assist systems menu of the Infotainment system Vehicle settings menu:
  • Reaction to the road layout.
  • Reaction to permitted speeds.
  • Reaction to the end of traffic jams."
Haven't changed these settings myself, but it looks like you can turn off the reaction to speed limit changes and it should stay at the speed you set.

I have an S10e and on the few occasions I have used the wireless charger the phone was in the slot upside down and charged OK, I can't remember if I was using AA at the time or not. I prefer it this way as the battery percentage shows at the bottom of the lock screen so is visible in the slot when upside down. In my experience wireless chargers in general can be picky about how the phone is positioned on the charger. My home one often says it is charging when I initially place the phone on it, only to discover a while later it has stopped. The ID.3 slot should hold the phone in the correct position, but it might slide around while driving and not be in the optimal spot for charging.

The sat nav map does not have every charger location, the one I use regularly is not on the map and it thinks there is a Maplin store nearby which closed years ago.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts