Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone who has had experience of what actually happens when you run out of battery completely in an e-up! or e-Golf please share with the rest of us...

In other words, how literally do we have to take the range warnings? Does the car just stop? I saw someone in another manufacturer's model talk about tortoise (or was it turtle?) mode- what does that mean, and does it apply to VW?

We are finding our e-up! range notifications some 10% or 20% optimistic, especially now the weather is getting colder. Not the right way round, pessimistic would be better and safer.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Turtle mode would have been a Leafer. In that, you get a "Low Battery" warning message and chime, when you have a maximum of 15 miles left (but the range display will probably already be down to 10-ish). You get a "Very Low Battery" warning message and chime when you are down to 10 miles maximum (probably more like 4-5 unless you are driving very slowly) but the actual range meter blanks out. When you have only half a mile left it displays a turtle symbol and says "motor power limited". You can't accelerate above 30 and you run down pretty quickly. The idea is to get you to a safe stopping position.

So, in the Leaf at least, it is pessimistic on the display and the warnings.

Hope that helps a bit ... sorry it's not about the e-Up.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Under 18 miles range, ours is 'unpredictable' in terms of how far you actually get. I haven't run out to a stop, but have had the reduced power mode anywhere from 7 - 15 miles from the 18 mile warning. I think some of the recent firmware updates may have improved the E-Up's range guestimation...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Toms and Blackleaf, that is extremely helpful.

We did a round trip to the cinema (Mr Turner) today, starting with a full charge and 78 miles range indicated. Arriving home after 42 miles - coming home in the dark, headlights and heater on, normal mode - we are left with 9 miles range indicated. So even if the e-up! really would have gone another 9 miles, which seems unlikely, that would only be 50 miles actually travelled. But meanwhile the dial on the right is showing nearly a quarter charge remaining.

Is this because we are now in the winter and the battery is less efficient? Is this the sort of range other owners are getting?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thank you, Toms and Blackleaf, that is extremely helpful.

We did a round trip to the cinema (Mr Turner) today, starting with a full charge and 78 miles range indicated. Arriving home after 42 miles - coming home in the dark, headlights and heater on, normal mode - we are left with 9 miles range indicated. So even if the e-up! really would have gone another 9 miles, which seems unlikely, that would only be 50 miles actually travelled. But meanwhile the dial on the right is showing nearly a quarter charge remaining.

Is this because we are now in the winter and the battery is less efficient? Is this the sort of range other owners are getting?
Cold battery, wind, rain etc can all influence range.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
...... and also what speed were you doing. The range is only an estimation from your previous journey.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, knowing I was well within range I wasn't driving particularly gently (although within speed limits!) And I didn't use one of the eco settings at all, as I usually do for at least part of any longer trips.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So to answer your question @JamesW - it does have a low power mode than cuts in...
I suppose what I really want is some idea how far I've got left before the car will actually stop if I ever get to the point where this low power mode cuts in. But it sounds as if it may not be possible to know this. Nonetheless, in very general terms, it would be good to know whether we are talking about enough to crawl somewhere with an accessible 13Amp plug, or just enough to pull off the road.

I am familiar with a diesel Skoda which has a reserve of several tens of miles after the warnings start (because, apart from the inconvenience, recoveriing from running out completely in a diesel is said to require an expensive service job) and I have never anywhere-near exhausted that.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
As far as the E-up goes I think it is encumbent on you to experiment and pass on your findings. With the zoe you could expect at least 10 miles after zero but there are a lot of variables. Of course running out is a bit more inconvenient that in a modern diesel which are generally self - bleeding and simply need a can of fuel .
I suppose what I really want is some idea how far I've got left before the car will actually stop if I ever get to the point where this low power mode cuts in. But it sounds as if it may not be possible to know this. Nonetheless, in very general terms, it would be good to know whether we are talking about enough to crawl somewhere with an accessible 13Amp plug, or just enough to pull off the road.

I am familiar with a diesel Skoda which has a reserve of several tens of miles after the warnings start (because, apart from the inconvenience, recoveriing from running out completely in a diesel is said to require an expensive service job) and I have never anywhere-near exhausted that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the E-up goes I think it is encumbent on you to experiment and pass on your findings. With the zoe you could expect at least 10 miles after zero but there are a lot of variables. Of course running out is a bit more inconvenient that in a modern diesel which are generally self - bleeding and simply need a can of fuel .
Yup. I reckon that's it and will do. Preferably when I have set myself up with a tow rope to pop in the boot of the other car!

·
Registered
302 Posts
In my Leaf i have experienced 'Tortoise Mode' followed by a flat bed ride to the nearest RC.... 250m away from where we stopped.

On the M4 in Wales heading East, I approached the services that I had planned to hit with 18 miles remaining however the next services was 15 miles away and had 20% remaining so I decided to go for it and test the Leaf. (previously using hypermiling I managed to extend the battery life to over a mile/% right down to the last few percent.

What I didn't take into account is just how many steep hills there are on the M4 in Wales and when I needed a lorry, there wasn't one.

As we got to 6 miles remaining we only had 4 miles to go, however approach the services was a steep hill and half way up, found that the 'Tortoise' appeared and the car suddenly lost power and slowed right down to around 20mph. we just made the brow of the hill, no more than half a mile, before the car cut out altogether. luckily the steering stayed use-able and we free wheeled down the hill off the slip road into the services before coming to a stop about 50m up the slip road.

Luckily there was road work and we fell just inside the free recovery, so was picked up within 30 minutes and dropped off 250m into the services for a rapid charge.

I wont be making that mistake again, although I really don't like the fact that from around 5 miles/5% ish the car gives you absolutely no way of knowing how low you are. Surely the battery % could still show.

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
In my Leaf i have experienced 'Tortoise Mode' followed by a flat bed ride to the nearest RC.... 250m away from where we stopped.

On the M4 in Wales heading East, I approached the services that I had planned to hit with 18 miles remaining however the next services was 15 miles away and had 20% remaining so I decided to go for it and test the Leaf. (previously using hypermiling I managed to extend the battery life to over a mile/% right down to the last few percent.

What I didn't take into account is just how many steep hills there are on the M4 in Wales and when I needed a lorry, there wasn't one.

As we got to 6 miles remaining we only had 4 miles to go, however approach the services was a steep hill and half way up, found that the 'Tortoise' appeared and the car suddenly lost power and slowed right down to around 20mph. we just made the brow of the hill, no more than half a mile, before the car cut out altogether. luckily the steering stayed use-able and we free wheeled down the hill off the slip road into the services before coming to a stop about 50m up the slip road.

Luckily there was road work and we fell just inside the free recovery, so was picked up within 30 minutes and dropped off 250m into the services for a rapid charge.

I wont be making that mistake again, although I really don't like the fact that from around 5 miles/5% ish the car gives you absolutely no way of knowing how low you are. Surely the battery % could still show.
A LeafDD or Leafspy does help in this regard. At the weekend I was 11 miles from home when I got the Low Battery Warning. Home was the closest charging of any kind bar a friendly farmer with an extension lead.

By keeping an eye on the Ah left in the battery (and then the GIDs) I was able to pull onto the driveway with just 7 GIDs left (tortoise happens at 5). I wouldn't have had the confidence to do that if all I had to go on was ---.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope others agree that this is a really helpful thread. Thanks to all contributors. But we still need VW-specific experience, which I will try to contribute to in due course.

Meanwhile, one thing I have discovered since yesterday's disappointing trip is that I may have been undervaluing the benefits of "eco" mode (which I didn't use yesterday at all). The range indicator has only been increasing by about 10%, even switching to the full "eco+" mode, so I have been thinking the benefit rather marginal. But in cold weather it seems to make a much bigger difference as even the intermediate stage "eco" mode is much more miserly with the heater. We went to the sports centre for our usual session this morning which is three miles round trip on the road. I normally expect it to drop the range estimate by twice that amount. But this morning in "eco" mode I got back with only 1 mile range used up! Probably another false dawn but I thought I'd share while I'm still feeling good about it.

I have to say that a proper briefing from the supplier could have given us a big help up this learning curve. But thank goodness we have Speakev !

·
Registered
916 Posts
Could anyone who has had experience of what actually happens when you run out of battery completely in an e-up! or e-Golf please share with the rest of us...

In other words, how literally do we have to take the range warnings? Does the car just stop? I saw someone in another manufacturer's model talk about tortoise (or was it turtle?) mode- what does that mean, and does it apply to VW?

We are finding our e-up! range notifications some 10% or 20% optimistic, especially now the weather is getting colder. Not the right way round, pessimistic would be better and safer.
This is the Leaf Version of that scenario..hope it helps!
-Also,@alloam went to the limit with his Zoe..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes - brilliant - that's exactly what we need someone to do with one of the e-VWs! But not having a mate with a pick-up truck at hand I'm not rushing to volunteer.

Other practical points we need to know concern towing with a flat battery:
  1. Can you engage Neutral with no battery left?
  2. Does the car then run freely? (This is the same question as Can you push it?)
  3. In that case, how well do the brakes work? Obviously there is no servo assist, but is there enough braking effect for a short, emergency trip? Or would you have to rely on the hand brake?
Surely someone at VW must know the answers to such questions. It's a shame they don't seem to monitor or contribute to Speakev.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
.......although I really don't like the fact that from around 5 miles/5% ish the car gives you absolutely no way of knowing how low you are. Surely the battery % could still show.
The only way I have found to get the exact % remaining when the --- are showing is by the app, where it still gives the range remaining. Mind you not the best solution to find out when you are bricking it driving along a motorway. I agree the % meter could still show until 1%.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes - brilliant - that's exactly what we need someone to do with one of the e-VWs! But not having a mate with a pick-up truck at hand I'm not rushing to volunteer.

Other practical points we need to know concern towing with a flat battery:
  1. Can you engage Neutral with no battery left?
  2. Does the car then run freely? (This is the same question as Can you push it?)
  3. In that case, how well do the brakes work? Obviously there is no servo assist, but is there enough braking effect for a short, emergency trip? Or would you have to rely on the hand brake?
Surely someone at VW must know the answers to such questions. It's a shame they don't seem to monitor or contribute to Speakev.
I would expect the handbook to contain very specific advice about towing, it would be strange if it didnt. Its quite likely it will advise only towing using a front wheels up device..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had an e golf for 3 days now. I intend to do 30k a year in it as I drive from oxford to coventry everyday. I have so far been down to six miles left. The power gets limited and convenience is restricted.
All my journeys finish with warnings so I am getting the most out of the battery. Will tell you more as the saga continues...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts