Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a 32amp commando socket installed for my Ohme charger. Is there an adaptor I can buy to convert the commando socket to a standard socket for plugging general electrical items in (e.g. lawnmower etc)? I purchased the below thinking it may work, but the plug was too small to go into the commando socket:

Does anyone have a link to an adaptor that will work?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
As you've discovered the 32 and 16A parts are different sizes.
Just substitute 32A for 16A when you search (though you'll still get a bunch of 16s in the results, so check carefully). I found one on eBay quite quickly, so they are out there.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
I really struggled to find one. 32A ones don't appear to be very common.

Got one made up by Toughleads in the end, and been very happy with it

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You just need to find an adaptor for the blue 32 amp socket - they’re bigger.
Wonder if I can get an adapter to convert the small one I have to a larger size to work in my commando socket? I say this, as it may be useful to keep the one I have if I am ever on a caravan site etc. I just saw this - would this work:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are the links to some of the products:

Defender 32 Amp to 13 Amp Double Adaptor Fly Lead: (£15.95 - out of stock)

Generator 32 Amp Plug To 13 Amp Twin Socket 2.5mm cable (2m): (£19)

32 Amp Plug to 13 Amp Socket Adapter fly lead 2.5mm cores 32amp to 13amp (£14.99):

32A 230V PLUG TO TWIN 13A WATERPROOF IP54 SOCKET (£46.75):

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This looks good if you’re worried about water resistance although I’m sure you could make it up for less! 32A 230v Plug to Twin 13A Waterproof IP54 socket
Would something like that work with this:
2-Way Splitter MASO 32A 220v IP44 2 Way 3 pin Industrial Site Plug & Wall Socket Waterproof IP44 Plug Connector Socket 2P+Earth Male/Female £18.69):

2-Way Splitter MASO 32A 220v IP44 2 Way 3 pin Industrial Site Plug & Wall Socket Waterproof IP44 Plug Connector Socket 2P+Earth Male/Female

That way I would have a permanent 13amp socket screwed on the wall and would not have to keep plugging and unplugging from the command socket, The other end would then be free for the Ohme charger.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Imagine so but you run the risk of overloading the circuit if you used both at once.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I recently had a 32amp commando socket installed for my Ohme charger. Is there an adaptor I can buy to convert the commando socket to a standard socket for plugging general electrical items in (e.g. lawnmower etc)? I purchased the below thinking it may work, but the plug was too small to go into the commando socket:

Does anyone have a link to an adaptor that will work?
This is something I've been thinking of doing, using an Ohme cable with a commando socket. How much roughly did the socket cost to be fitted and is there any need for an earthrod etc?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
Requirement for earth rod will depend on your existing system. If you have a TT earth, you won't need a rod.

I think I paid about £150 for supply & fit of a Commando socket + new breaker, which involved running the cable under the floorboards and connecting to a spare way on my consumer unit. I didn't need an earth rod.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Requirement for earth rod will depend on your existing system. If you have a TT earth, you won't need a rod...
Not quite that simple, I think. Been a lot of discussion here recently, and I think a concensus was reached.
IF your EVSE is inside gge, AND car is ALWAYS charged inside gge, no extra earth Rod needed. Complications start when car is charged outside.
If you have TT earth, this is 2 wires to your house. So house will have its own earth Rod. EVSE will need an earth Rod, or must have PEN-Loss protection device fitted.
Your sparky should be able to say if the existing house rod is ok as is, or if you need another adding.
Other house wiring likely to be TN-C-S in effect, this being 3 wires to house. E wire may or may not be connected to N wire further back up the supply, anyone's guess after roads dug up, breaks repaired etc. In this case, the EVSE needs either its own earth Rod, or the PEN-Loss protection device.

It's all about isolating the outdoors car from the house while charging, or getting the earth voltage to a safe low level if a fault upstream tries to push it high. Earth Rod on the EVSE clamps this low, PEN-Loss device isolates the E wire to car from EVSE, and the L+N contactor also opens, so in effect this is like pulling the charge plug out of the car to make the body shell safe.

Bottom line is if PEN-Loss device fitted, Earth rod not needed. Sparky must confirm this for you.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you have TT earth, this is 2 wires to your house. So house will have its own earth Rod. EVSE will need an earth Rod, or must have PEN-Loss protection device fitted.
Why does the EVSE need its own earth rod if you already have one at the house? How would a PEN-Loss device work on a TT earthing system with no supplier PEN?

The risk that the earth rod or PEN loss device is mitigating is the loss of the star point to earth connection at the substation allowing the phase voltages to differ and pulling the neutral voltage away from true earth and raising the potential of the body of car relative to the ground it is standing on. If you have an earth rod at the house, the amount of ground potential difference between the car and the earth rod would be tiny.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Whichever adaptor you choose, keep the cable as short as possible. The Commando socket is protected by a 32A fuse/circuit breaker so the smallest size of flexible cable that can be safety protected is 4mm2 (Table 4F3A). You would struggle to get that into the 13A socket so the cable on these adapters is likely to be lighter and therefore vulnerable to overheating/catching fire in the event of a fault such as cable damage. The shorter the length the less chance of the cable getting damaged. The cable and appliance downstream of the 13A is protected by the fuse in the 13A plug (assuming it's the right rating).

Personally, I'd also want an RCD. You need 120A to drop a 32A BS EN 60898 breaker within the required disconnection time (Fig 3A4) and I wouldn't want that flowing through me whilst mowing the lawn!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Why does the EVSE need its own earth rod if you already have one at the house?
First off, I'm not a sparky, just an engineer who's taken a deep interest in the discussions elsewhere & tried to drive to get a concensus. The TT-house model wasn't discussed deeply, as the video supplied by an expert summarised that scenario as simple, and concentrated on the more complicated T-N-C-S setups. My statement here

"EVSE will need an earth Rod, or must have PEN-Loss protection device fitted."
does not say that the EVSE in the TT scenario needs it's own earth rod. That's your reading. An Earth rod is needed, somewhere, and as far as I'm concerned the sparky can advise on that. Are two better than one? Not my call. I'm not qualified to. But I'll happily comment & feedback what I've understood so far to be the concensus, and if I've got it wrong somewhere, I'm sure a lot of other guys can as well. I welcome better information.

How would a PEN-Loss device work on a TT earthing system with no supplier PEN?
I think the PEN-loss device is not needed if you have TT, because the Earth Rod clamps the car's bodywork to Ground potential (safely low). Otoh, if you insisted on activating it, e.g. because your EVSE comes with it, then if it trips, it will be isolating the earth-rod-connected E wire from EVSE to the car, at the same time as the L+N get disconnected. So it's isolating the car by pulling the charging plug out (in a virtual sense of course), exactly as it would in the PME setup, but at the same time also disconnecting the Earth rod as well! So I can't see any gain in safety tbh. So no point paying for this feature if you already have, or prefer, an Earth rod system. Unless someone else can some extra benefit.

The only noticeable difference in behaviour I can think of, is the PEN loss system triggers after a small leakage current has passed down the E wire from EVSE to car's bodyshell, from there to your fingers, then through you to the ground outside, giving you a very brief shock. I guess this might feel like a decent static shock sometimes felt when unlocking the car in summer? Whereas this won't happen with the Earth-rod setup, providing that's in good order and conducting adequately.

The risk that the earth rod or PEN loss device is mitigating is the loss of the star point to earth connection at the substation allowing the phase voltages to differ and pulling the neutral voltage away from true earth and raising the potential of the body of car relative to the ground it is standing on. If you have an earth rod at the house, the amount of ground potential difference between the car and the earth rod would be tiny.
That makes sense. So can I take it that you're happy to have the TT-connected house using just the house's own Earth rod for the EVSE as well? If qualified sparkies on here are happy with that, fine by me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts