Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from an BEV newbie.

I am on the verge of buying a new (70 reg) MG ZS EV Exclusive, but before I do I wondered if anyone has any any advice they’d like to share to convince me to do it now, hold off for a better deal or steer clear (hopefully no one will advise if this later option - but I am open to all feedback or advice)

Please let me know your thoughts on the MG ZS EV, good or bad as I want to make a well informed decision

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buying an EV is still like buying a phone. There will be a better one along next year, but do you really want to be without one? and just how long should you wait.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying an EV is still like buying a phone. There will be a better one along next year, but do you really want to be without one? and just how long should you wait.
It’s a bit more expensive than a phone (unless it’s an I-phone 😜) but I get the analogy. I’m not needing a new car, my 8 year old KIA Rio is good for what I need, however the deals on the MG ZS EV along with the incentives make it a really interesting deal.

Basically my gut says go for it, whilst my head says I need more thinking time 🤪

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've had one since January as my second EV and been mostly pretty pleased with it. Like most things there are pros and cons, and how you rate these depends upon your personal circumstances. If you can charge at home and rarely have to undertake journeys of more than 120 miles the MG offers a good value, practical option. The biggest disappointment I've had is in the rapid charging speed in winter which can be 20-30kW which might mean a 40 min stop only takes on enough energy for an additional 50 miles. I rarely need to rapid charge especially in winter months so not been a big problem for me.

Compared to your Rio I expect you will find it comfortable, spacious, economical and quick.

If you are willing to spend more money or can wait a while you can probably do better, but at this point in time you could do a lot worse.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
A new facelift model with 60+kWh battery will be along soon along with a price rise. What do you need?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new facelift model with 60+kWh battery will be along soon along with a price rise. What do you need?
Honestly the main driver is the deal. A new ZS EV Exclusive model can be picked up for just over £20k and with the Scottish governments Low Carbon Loan offer (0% over 6 years with no deposit required) it seems a steel

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seems like a good deal. I'm going for an MG5 Exclusive for £23k. The extra (up to) 50% range and the estate shape are significant for me. If the ZS has enough range for you, and you like the compact SUV style then it's a good deal when compared to the alternatives available in that price range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I purchased an Excite 2 months ago 2000 miles later I'm very pleased with the car I didn't bother with the Exclusive I didn't want sunroof or leather type seats but reverse camera would be good, two down sides for me not smart phone compatable for scheduled charging and vehicle has to be locked to charge so sit in the car to charge lock the car and the alarm goes off, dealer supplied mats, mudflaps, fast charge cable in the deal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi, I purchased an Excite 2 months ago 2000 miles later I'm very pleased with the car I didn't bother with the Exclusive I didn't want sunroof or leather type seats but reverse camera would be good, two down sides for me not smart phone compatable for scheduled charging and vehicle has to be locked to charge so sit in the car to charge lock the car and the alarm goes off, dealer supplied mats, mudflaps, fast charge cable in the deal.
Needs the BMS update and it’ll charge when unlocked.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
vehicle has to be locked to charge so sit in the car to charge lock the car and the alarm goes off
This has all been fixed by the latest updates, especially the comfort update. Sadly your dealer may charge you to do the comfort update, but some people (myself included) have got it done for free. In my case I have a service deal with mine and he judged my case on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer had the vehicle last Monday for drivers door loom change and told me my car was not due for the charge unlocked upgrade so where do I go from here.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Dealer had the vehicle last Monday for drivers door loom change and told me my car was not due for the charge unlocked upgrade so where do I go from here.
As normal, the dealer has not checked on the latest updates !.
There is also a main HV fuse upgrade as well.
I will try and include the MG service bulletin.

BMS HV Fuse Update 2020-11-08 at 18.59.34.png

Show this to the dealer and educate them !.
I have owned my ZS EV since Jan 20 and it is a great car at this price point.
The "Comfort 2 " update has made the car a LOT easier to live with now.
Is it perfect, then is any car ?.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As normal, the dealer has not checked on the latest updates !.
There is also a main HV fuse upgrade as well.
I will try and include the MG service bulletin.
Carty (or anyone else that can advise), how can you tell if the vehicle has the latest upgrade (ie how would I know if my new ZS has the “Comfort” upgrade) & what was in the “Comfort” upgrade that made the car a LOT easier to live with?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
Comfort upgrade removed the very loud bongs on start up. Set the music volume to the last setting at turn off, before it would always come on at a loud volume. Added ambient temperature, time and miles remaining (GOM) to readouts. (lever closest on centre console becomes redundant)

In my car (not noted in some others) it increased the mileage at 100% charge (form 146 to 179) although this could have been a result of the total shut-down required to do the update resetting the figures to base line.

100%, even in this colder weather, consistently nows shows 169.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
135 Posts
Comfort upgrade removed the very loud bongs on start up. Set the music volume to the last setting at turn off, before it would always come on at a loud volume. Added ambient temperature, time and miles remaining (GOM) to readouts. (lever closest on centre console becomes redundant)

In my car (not noted in some others) it increased the mileage at 100% charge (form 146 to 179) although this could have been a result of the total shut-down required to do the update resetting the figures to base line.

Its a strange side effect that - seems a handful of cars were affected. It means the GOM doesn’t accurately reflect the available range any more, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Interesting .... just did a search and found this on the Comfort 2 update https://mg.co.uk/owners/tips/faqs/i...generation-of-software-available-on-my-zs-ev/

Of note is the Note at the bottom which states “Changing the vehicle’s software may affect the current operating strategy that is personalised by the owner and is irreversible once applied. MG cannot be held responsible for any actions or failures caused by operations of this nature when not covered by warranty” - anyone know what this is about - especially the bit about personalisation???

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
Its a strange side effect that - seems a handful of cars were affected. It means the GOM doesn’t accurately reflect the available range any more, right?
There's very few EV that do show the truly accurate range. Zoe was pretty close, but needed some very light footed driving to get close. MG's GOM is showing 169 on a full charge at the moment. With the current weather, I reckon I could achieve somewhere around 120/30 around town and 100/10 at motorway speeds. It really does depend on how you drive.

PS: I've just done a quick calculation. To me it looks like at 169 mile GOM the computer is assuming an efficiency of 4 miles/kWh. Easily achievable in Summer. Not so right now, more like 3.5 m/kWh. Assuming a 42.5 kWh usable even that would give 148 miles.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,366 Posts
Changing the vehicle’s software may affect the current operating strategy that is personalised by the owner and is irreversible once applied
Had to reset all the personal setting in the setup again. Yeah, radio stations all gone, Car setting back to default. Half an hour had it back to how I like it.

Reactions: Carty and PeterG
1 - 20 of 30 Posts