Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Make sure your order is on the basis of all the updates being applied. I.e. reject it if they are not. Depending on your normal travel patterns you may find it costs you almost nothing over and above your current car. Fuel costs 1 to 2 p a mile. Check you get a good electricity deal. Servicing less than £350 for 3 years, zero toad tax, insurance with LV cheap as petrol cars and you may benefit from free charging in Scotland. Now from a driving perspective it’s quiet and comfortable, fast on decent roads, not a sports car in terms of handling on twisty roads. It will defrost immediately in winter, I gather it can be cold in Scotland (you should try rural Hampshire which can be the equal)! And it has a great radio, pulls in DAB better than my Passat. I’ve had mine since May but it was an early import and has needed all the updates and the recall. A bit frustrating to have a beta test car. But I wouldn’t swap it, even more to the point there are a lot of women loving driving them. So easy to drive using one pedal for most of the time. Yes there will be better next year, will you be able to sell it on for a decent price? The price of second hand EVs is good, the perception that they will have a short life and be expensive to repair has been busted there will be a big market for 2nd user town runabout EVs. Canny Scot jump at it!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Had to reset all the personal setting in the setup again. Yeah, radio stations all gone, Car setting back to default. Half an hour had it back to how I like it.
Same here !.
When I collected my car after the “Comfort 2” update had been applied, the service advisor said :- “You will need to reset your radio stations etc in the head unit, these are lost when we apply the update”.
I suspect ( but don’t know ) that they would disconnect the 12Volt battery before commencing the upgrade.
Can’t remember, but I think I may have needed to reconnect my phone to the car as well ?.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Make sure your order is on the basis of all the updates being applied. I.e. reject it if they are not. Depending on your normal travel patterns you may find it costs you almost nothing over and above your current car. Fuel costs 1 to 2 p a mile. Check you get a good electricity deal. Servicing less than £350 for 3 years, zero toad tax, insurance with LV cheap as petrol cars and you may benefit from free charging in Scotland. Now from a driving perspective it’s quiet and comfortable, fast on decent roads, not a sports car in terms of handling on twisty roads. It will defrost immediately in winter, I gather it can be cold in Scotland (you should try rural Hampshire which can be the equal)! And it has a great radio, pulls in DAB better than my Passat. I’ve had mine since May but it was an early import and has needed all the updates and the recall. A bit frustrating to have a beta test car. But I wouldn’t swap it, even more to the point there are a lot of women loving driving them. So easy to drive using one pedal for most of the time. Yes there will be better next year, will you be able to sell it on for a decent price? The price of second hand EVs is good, the perception that they will have a short life and be expensive to repair has been busted there will be a big market for 2nd user town runabout EVs. Canny Scot jump at it!
Brian,

Thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I didn’t know about free charging in Scotland - I’ll have to research that 😀

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,372 Posts
I didn’t know about free charging in Scotland - I’ll have to research that 😀
From reading other threads I think that may be short lived for you (sorry to bring bad tidings). You will need a 'Charge Place Scotland' (CPS) card. Quite easy to get as far as I can see.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
From reading other threads I think that may be short lived for you (sorry to bring bad tidings). You will need a 'Charge Place Scotland' (CPS) card. Quite easy to get as far as I can see.
Yes, just found this out. However £20pa for the card seems to give free charging even at Rapid charge points 👍

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, just found this out. However £20pa for the card seems to give free charging even at Rapid charge points 👍
Only in some council areas and the number is dwindling as more of them apply charges for use. I think it’s still pretty good value for public rapids though.

edit - I mean you can use the card at all of them but more and more are becoming not-free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I purchased an Excite 2 months ago 2000 miles later I'm very pleased with the car I didn't bother with the Exclusive I didn't want sunroof or leather type seats but reverse camera would be good, two down sides for me not smart phone compatable for scheduled charging and vehicle has to be locked to charge so sit in the car to charge lock the car and the alarm goes off, dealer supplied mats, mudflaps, fast charge cable in the deal.
Needs the BMS update and it’ll charge when unlocked.
This has all been fixed by the latest updates,
That is very interesting guys, our dealer is stating categorically that our car can NOT have the BMS update, car was delivered two days ago.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,372 Posts
That is very interesting guys, our dealer is stating categorically that our car can NOT have the BMS update, car was delivered two days ago.
Yeah, I've just been looking at your other thread on this.

As it is a new car. Is it possible that it came from the factory with all the updates done and that the problem is elsewhere?
With the granny cable or as you asked, with dirty electricity? Do you have any wifi extenders in your/dad's house?

Until you've tried it on an another AC post you won't really know. Don't forget to take it for a good drive before trying to charge it or there'll be no space for the new electricity.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
If the BMS update has been applied, then the easy way to for the customer to check, is to try charging with the car unlocked.
If this is successful, then it has been done.
Should this be a problem at your home address, you could try it at public fast post ( not a rapid ) or a friends house.
This will identify if the problem is with the car or at your home address.
Regarding the good point @Neilew made, regarding if your car received all updates prior to delivery to the suppling dealer.
Then with regards to the MG service action bulletin, ref number SA017 for the HV battery fuse update.
It clearly states the following :-
MG ZS EV - before "Offline Date" 30.06.2020.
So I read this to suggest that cars leaving the factory on or after the 01.07.2020 will already have this update included in the software.
I will try and include the service notice kindly provided by another member.

BMS HV Fuse Update 2020-11-08 at 18.59.34.png

21 - 30 of 30 Posts