Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only ever had ICE cars so this is a new world to me.

I love the idea of having a fully electric car, however I don't have anywhere for home charging (on street parking).

I'm lucky enough that my work have plenty of free charging points so there's little chance of me needing to charge elsewhere as I wouldn't use my EV much over the weekend.

I have always bought my cars outright and do not want to get a loan/lease/PCP.

My budget is around £6000 and so a 2015/16 22kW Zoe seems like the best option for me.

Obviously the 40kW would be better but there don't seem to be many used ones on the market, this might change next year when the first round of leases/PCP expire?

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a used 22kW Zoe ?

Is there an argument for waiting 6 months until some 40kW ones are available - would they be in my price range?

·
Super Moderator
11,266 Posts
My budget is around £6000 and so a 2015/16 22kW Zoe seems like the best option for me.
Are you including battery rent payments in your budget?

Oh and it is 22kWh not 22kW. It seem a bit pedantic but the 22kWh Zoe comes in 22kW and 43kW versions

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pretty sure that an ex-PCP ZE40 wouldn't be in your price range. Zoes are great cars to drive, I'd just make sure that the range (especially in winter, around 60 miles) works for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are you including battery rent payments in your budget?

Oh and it is 22kWh not 22kW. It seem a bit pedantic but the 22kWh Zoe comes in 22kW and 43kW versions

Thanks for the correction!

I'm assuming that the battery rental roughly equates to what I'm paying for petrol at the moment, so is budgeted for that way.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
With a commute like that and workplace charging a 22kW Zoe would do fine, as to 'I wouldn't use my EV much over the weekend' you may find you do :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @Mo1 , I guess just go for a lowish mileage 16 plate for £6000 and take out the extended warranty then?

Any other tips or things to watch out for?

·
Super Moderator
11,266 Posts
take out the extended warranty then?
A good idea. Be sure to read what the warranty does and does not cover.

The traction battery is covered under the hire contract. One less thing to worry about.

EV support at Renault dealerships is very uneven.

Renault Liverpool are good. I would guess any of the other Renault Retail Group dealerships will also be good.

WRDavies (North Wales) did not impress me.
I had a poor experience with Lookers Chester on the Renault side but that was ages ago. More recently they were fine on Nissan side of the shop.

Some of the Zoe owners on here should be able to help pointing you to a good dealer .

·
Registered
811 Posts
It'll come up on here eventually and I'll mention it first to enable someone to call 'Bingo', but if you're buying a 2016 from a Renault dealer, check that the Battery Management System (BMS) update has been done. The 22kWh Zoe's need a software update which alters how the battery State of Health (SOH) is reported to the car. Owners were finding lower and lower range after 100% charge and when using CanZE (worth searching for on here) could see the SOH were dropping worryingly low. The BMS update enables the car to correct unbalanced cells in the pack and recovers power that was otherwise not available. For example, when our R240 Zoe was updated, our SOH went from 80 odd % to 100% SOH.

As for dealers, DSG Morecambe have an excellent reputation on here and probably sell more ZOE than anyone else in the UK. Think they'll deliver if you're miles away too. @Badger in Black on here is their Manager.

A 2016 comes with a 4 year warranty. You can extend this with Renault for £289 per year for years 5-10, but this MUST be done before the Renault one expires.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I was thinking this yesterday....why pay more for a younger car...?

With an ICE car we are worried about it being out for warranty and getting new facelift versions, but what is the difference between a 16plate, 15plate or 14plate Zoe with 20k miles on it?

If the price difference between each plate is more than the extra year it costs to extend the warranty (£289), then unless you are particularly worried about what number you have on the license plate, what are you paying extra for...? From what I can see a 64 plate can be had for <£5k, so could save you >£1k, and all it would give you is one more year warranty that can be had for just £289.

In fact, you could go further and wonder why you are even bothered about the mileage, given the battery is leased?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Oh and I'm in the same boat as you.

I don't even like the idea of leasing the battery so am waiting for a i model to pop up.

I might be tempted to go for a used ZE40 leased version in the next year or so though. Main reasons being the extra range and nicer interior.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking this yesterday....why pay more for a younger car...?

In fact, you could go further and wonder why you are even bothered about the mileage, given the battery is leased?
I see your point about an older car, and I think the prices reflect that, the cheapest Zoe I have seen is a 13 plate at £4500. However I've seen 15 plates for £5000 and 16 plates for £5250 so there's not much difference really.

In terms of mileage the car will still have wear and tear on it though, sure it has no engine but the tyres, suspension etc will all age like a normal car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
check that the Battery Management System (BMS) update has been done. .
Thanks for this piece of advice! Duly noted!

I'm in Northamptonshire so a bit further south than the dealers you suggested.
Good to know that they deliver though, so maybe it's still an option!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I see your point about an older car, and I think the prices reflect that, the cheapest Zoe I have seen is a 13 plate at £4500. However I've seen 15 plates for £5000 and 16 plates for £5250 so there's not much difference really.

In terms of mileage the car will still have wear and tear on it though, sure it has no engine but the tyres, suspension etc will all age like a normal car.
Yea I suppose the suspension is one aspect. If buying from a dealer, I would expect tyres to be of good quality...

Oh and I agree with you on PCP, but if you do buy from a dealer set it up as a PCP purchase to benefit from £500 contribution and 2 free services ;)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Get one with warranty still in place and then extend it

Like every 2nd hand car check owners and service history and do a basic text reg check for outstanding finance or accidents.

The car sounds like it suits your needs.

My only other advice when buying 2nd hand is decide on colour and spec and then look for the exact one you want and don’t be afraid to travel :)

JJ

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Thanks @Mo1 , I guess just go for a lowish mileage 16 plate for £6000 and take out the extended warranty then?

Make sure it has one in the first place!

I have 65 plate which was 12K miles I took it for a service this week only to discover the warranty was invalid as the last service was Jan 2017!

I am taking it back tomorrow!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,436 Posts
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a used 22kW Zoe ?

Yes - a lack of warranty. You will end up with repairs required for the air con system and you will eventually end up unable to charge and with 'DANGER ELECTRICAL FAILURE'.

(You might not, of course but the odds are stacked towards those situations.)

Is there an argument for waiting 6 months until some 40kW ones are available - would they be in my price range?
It would be best to save up your pennies and get one still in warranty that you can then extend on an annual basis. So the answer is probably yes because Renault have a little more experience of bolting the things together the later the model, plus the extendable warranty.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
I just had to try 4 times to get my car to charge.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,710 Posts
Yes - a lack of warranty. You will end up with repairs required....
If only there were a friendly SpeavEVer who had a listing over in the Classified section for a black 2015 Zoe Dynamique Intens (top of the range) with 43kW rapid charging for just £4,995 which is still in warranty and eligible for the purchase of extended warranty (up until it’s 10 years old)...
:p

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
If only there were a friendly SpeavEVer who had a listing over in the Classified section for a black 2015 Zoe Dynamique Intens (top of the range) with 43kW rapid charging for just £4,995 which is still in warranty and eligible for the purchase of extended warranty (up until it’s 10 years old)...
:p
And you could buy it from in the next week or two and not have to wait

1 - 20 of 196 Posts