Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed yet more new entrants, just doing a scan on prices right now. What do you think are the cheapest at the mo?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Octopus Go for elec. with EV.
5p off peak, around 14.5p rest of the day.

Reactions: Phooby

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to need to look for a flat rate on electricity, for various complex reasons, which sort of dodges the conundrum of day time versus off peak rates for which usage changes which tariffs are best.

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Have you tried moneysavingexpert.com cheap energy club? They are supposed to show the whole of the market, but Go and Agile don't show up.
I would recommend Agile but thats the exact opposite of a fixed rate.

Surely looking on the comaprision sites and entering your usage is the only way to know which one is cheapest for you

·
Registered
988 Posts
Pure Planet will do electricity ‘at cost’. The membership fee pays for their overheads and profit. Also the electricity is 100% green.

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried moneysavingexpert.com cheap energy club? They are supposed to show the whole of the market, but Go and Agile don't show up.
Yes, but still asking the question for the reason you have just mentioned, which I will look into those named companies, thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Last time I looked Zog for gas and Symbio for electricity were offering the cheapest prices available to me. It would be a marginal gain so I haven't bothered switching from Green who are pretty competitive for low users like me due to their low standing charges.

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last time I looked Zog for gas and Symbio for electricity were offering the cheapest prices available to me. It would be a marginal gain so I haven't bothered switching from Green who are pretty competitive for low users like me due to their low standing charges.
HI, thanks, yes, these are the names I am coming up with too.

I am also seeing these that I have not seen before, new entrants or just very old but normally well down the list?

Cheapest electricity so far is symbio X9, as you mention
Cheapest dual fuel, combined; Yorkshire Energy, never heard of them before yesterday.
Cheapest gas; Gulf Energy, thought they sold petrol years ago (same logo), claiming carbon neutral gas (as opposed to that Kuwaiti stuff, I guess, when I were a wee kid .. still remember a beach ball in the form of the Gulf ball-logo they had on petrol stations).

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Symbio says it can't quote for electricity from a smart meter.

What's that nonsense about then? Do smart meters really restrict the suppliers you can buy from! Jeez. What next?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you’ve got a smart meter but a supplier that doesn’t support them you can still give traditional readings the old way. Just say you don’t have one on the comparison sites.

Octopus agile working well for us but I can largely avoid the peak time and make good use of cheaper daytime and overnight.

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least an honest admission on their site;
"Agile Octopus is a beta product. If you're OK that some things may not work first time, that installations and processes may take longer than we'd like, and you'd like to work with us to make world-changing energy tariffs a reality, check this box so we know you're onboard: "

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, can you tell me if a 'smart' meter is OK as an economy 7 meter? Can you go for an E7 tariff with a smart meter, yes, no, or as I expect 'it depends' (by some hidden unspecific conditions or rules that no-one knows until you've already committed).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Donald, we have a smart meter (Smets1). When we switched, Octopus told us it was not an E7 smart meter, and so we could not have their E7 tariff. Not an issue as we had switched to have Go rather than E7 (was no issue to have Go and meter stayed smart). Still not sure if this was bull or not. I think it depends who you speak to at the firm and whether they actually know what they are talking about, so hard to ever feel like you have a definitive answer, or just the answer that person is giving you!!

·
29,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Donald, we have a smart meter (Smets1). When we switched, Octopus told us it was not an E7 smart meter, and so we could not have their E7 tariff. Not an issue as we had switched to have Go rather than E7 (was no issue to have Go and meter stayed smart). Still not sure if this was bull or not. I think it depends who you speak to at the firm and whether they actually know what they are talking about, so hard to ever feel like you have a definitive answer, or just the answer that person is giving you!!
Figured. Thanks for confirming my cynicism. ;)

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Octopus switched me to their E7 tariff after lots of complaining about the length of time it was taking and the additional costs charging at 15p per kWh.
They don't normally do that when they can't get the readings from the smart meter.
With our previous supplier we were on an 'E7' tariff with a smart meter, the same SMETTS1 meter that Octopus were installing, but when we switched it wasn't listed as an E7 meter so only had place to put on one meter reading when we switch, which caused additional confusion.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
As I understand it comparison sites do not show variable or TOU tariffs, just the standard fixed rates. I am electric only so OFTM was the cheapest solution and used them for 18months, but just switched to Octopus. Waiting for replacement smart meter so we can get onto Agile and make best use of Solar and Powerwall2 along with Zappi and an Evezy M3P when it arrives.

Reactions: Woodulike
1 - 20 of 86 Posts