Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving a 24kw 2013 leaf for 5 months now, it's been fascinating learning how the EV market is progressing.

In the next 12 months my prediction is that Nissan will announce a 40kw and 60kw model which will encourage more people to ditch ICE cars. The first Model 3's will be on UK roads, more people are buying other EV's and there will be double the fast chargers available. Jaguar and Audi will have made announcements about their luxury EV's and Tesla will announce another Model. Then by the end of 2018 I predict 5 percent of new UK car sales are EV's.

Or is that too optimistic?

What are your predictions for this time next year?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I predict that nissan will drag their feet over a new leaf.
I predict no new charge points in the west midlands.
I predict me being here moaning about there being no new charge points in the west midlands.
I also predict that Chargemaster will take over Ecotricity and then Chargemaster will take over themselves and a new portal will open into a parallel universe where all the cars are powered by tiny goats in hamster wheels.

Finally I predict that ICEing will still be a thing in Asda.

Seriously I'd like to be optimistic but when it takes several months to even get a ruddy charge post fixed I find my optimism...stretched. Something's got to give.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd actually be surprised if we have any Model 3s on our roads by then. There's been no indication that Tesla have fallen behind schedule at all (and Electrek would have us believe it might actually be early), but we're last among all the principle markets in their international rollout strategy - it took them until December to deliver any Model Xs.

That's partly due to being on the other side of the Atlantic - they like to roll out cars closer to home first, so that they can bring them in quickly and cheaply to address teething issues - and partly due to being RHD. It shouldn't take as long for the 3 to migrate here as the X, as the latter car had a fraught production that took months to scale up, but if the 3 hasn't started American deliveries by September then I don't think we'll have any fulfilled reservations over here by February.

I think Jaguar will be taking full orders on the I-Pace by this time next year, but may be a few weeks away from deliveries.

No Audi or Mercedes, but more production-ready versions may have been revealed.

And I'll be quite shocked to see a British Bolt by then too, for a number of reasons.
1. They seem reluctant to invest in an RHD conversion.
2. Vauxhall killed the Ampera. Unsure whether the sales ethos stemmed from HQ or the dealerships, but it involved limiting the number of 'authorised' Ampera dealers, low publicity, unavailable test drives and salesmen attempting to divert customers to conventional cars. I don't think the world is ready for Vauxhall to put serious effort into selling an EV.
3. It's extremely up-in-the-air whether General Motors will maintain any presence in Europe. News came out this week that there are discussions about selling Opel and Vauxhall to the Peugeot-Citroen alliance (PSA). If that goes through, I wouldn't expect to see many more rebadged Chevrolets over here.

Basically, the only major new BEV I'm expecting to be on British roads by then is the Nissan Leaf update. ~35% full-year plug-in sales boost, mostly from hybrids. My opinion, late 2018 will be the time everything really starts to change. Mostly down to the Model 3 internationally, but the I-Pace will be similarly instrumental in expanding British EV infrastructure and marketing drive.

·
Leaf lover
4,390 Posts
I am optimistic enough to believe Nissan will offer two versions of their Leaf this year, a big bev and an e-power rex model.
But by Feb 2018 BMW will have increased again the battery pack of the i3 and launched an ev version of their fat mini.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I think Nissan could be delayed by Brexit. It looks like the government will reneg on its promise to them, and they will be left scrambling to move production elsewhere and thus too busy to really push a new model to the UK market.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I predict I will have returned to an ICE temporarily whilst all of the above is resolved! With no progress in rapids in this neck of the woods and our battery proving to be totally crap in weather like today, whilst I have loved every minute of owning Evie I am now ready for the next generation Leaf.

Ali

·
Registered
918 Posts
I predict that there is no way on Earth will Tesla deliver a Model 3 to the UK with a £30K sticker on the window, but I am not sure if that matters anyway as most people will lease and Tesla may have more innovative 'contract' deals up their sleeves.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also predict that Chargemaster will take over Ecotricity and then Chargemaster will take over themselves and a new portal will open into a parallel universe where all the cars are powered by tiny goats in hamster wheels.
Luckily, I have just invested a huge amount of money into a goat farming venture. I'm still working on the hamster wheels though, a shortage of hamsters to test them out is hampering factory output.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Electric/Hybrid vans with useful range (because London), almost all new buses electric, average new UK EV range is 160-180miles. Still hundreds of faulty and poorly maintained chargers.

Oh and at least a few model3s in the UK, probably demo cars or some magic customers who managed to get one early ala the modelX which someone had super early a few months ago.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Feb 2018
> new Leaf at launch stage, early orders - 40kWh / 6.6kWh charger
> Tesla Model X still 8 months from first UK deliveries and price of £35k base model
> Mini 3dr/5dr EV
> More PHEVs from mainstream manufacturers as diesel bad press converts fleets over to PHEV
> Little improvement in public charging
> No more interest in pure EV amongst public buyers as electricity prices 50% higher than Feb 2017

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
All manufacters announce an EV, All off them better than the model 3/S/X. All due to arrive "sometime in the next five years".
Opel becomes a EV only brand, Promises the earth. only delivers in Norway and Germany(in limted numbers).
OutlanderPHEV sale continue to grow, resulting in US release delayed again. American commentards complain They are missing out on US sales, nobody else prepared to explain the irony.
Model 3 test drives happen, preorders increase, UK release is delayed again. Bremoaner blame it on Brexit. Brexiteers blame it on Talkdowners.

Reactions: Matt w

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm going to be filled with Maximum Want for the faster new i3. It's going to be tough to resist, particularly if it comes with front fogs;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think Nissan could be delayed by Brexit. It looks like the government will reneg on its promise to them, and they will be left scrambling to move production elsewhere and thus too busy to really push a new model to the UK market.
Oh dear! Everything has to be blamed on Brexit doesn't it! There is already a super thread all about how rubbish and terrible the UK will be after Brexit (apparently) and you felt it necessary to bring your negative vibe here too?!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts