Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What are your top thoughts on the next 3 weeks?

• Waheey! I can spend 3 weeks on speakev!!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • OMG, donald can now spend 3 weeks on speakev!!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Well, that's a good excuse not to visit the in-laws

• I can finally go through that pile of old paperwork

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • At least I've got all the bits to do that DIY job I've not had time in the last 7 years to finish

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I hope the telly doesn't break

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Crisis, what crisis? I'm on holiday

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Very true Donald.
I took 5 years out of my life to cycle round the world in my 40's and another 5 years to sail yachts and see as much of the world at an age where I could really appreciate it.
I'm extremely lucky, I'm not caught up in the need to own lots of things, got a modest house, most of my possesions could be packed into a rucksack and there is always a bag packed by the door if opportunities arise to go and do something more interesting come along.
Right now however, it is work, work, work. As society pivots ever more to online shopping someone has to service these needs.
Luckily, it's paying off extremely well.
Oh, yeah, you have that courier company to run, well, good luck with that, and ... 'thanks'!! ;)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If London is anything to go by, and Brompton‘s or Moustache bikes being the steed of choice, I’d question the bottom rung Comment!

Outside of London or other big university cities, cycle commuting isn’t a major thing. I’m not against it at all by the way, it’s a very good way to get about, just not viable for large swathes of the country, bottom rung of the pay scale or not.
Outside of London, public transport is generally very poor. Unless you work 9-5, buses aren't there for you. Bearing in mind cars sit doing nothing for 94% of the time, and 65% of car trips are 5 miles or less, cycle commuting is viable for large swathes of the population, but in many cases, the transport network favours car drivers too much, although for some people, they're just too lazy and drive everywhere.

Here in sunny Bognor Regis, it's flat and often a bike is quicker than a car, as the limited road network like the A27 and A259 are often jammed. Also, compared with the rest of south-east England, it's got below average rates of car ownership and above average levels of deprivation (low income, higher levels of benefit claimants). A Halfords Carrera bike is seen by many residents as a thing to aspire to (it's actually fairly rubbish compared to decent brands, but people generally won't consider spending more than £300 on a new bike or £100 on a second hand one).

I run a bike shop and currently I'm remaining open for repairs and services, subject to appropriate safety measures. I've got a number of customers who are Key Workers in a number of professions who do commute by bike - they rely on it, as it's the only way they can get to work, and I've had several in the last few days who've been very grateful I can repair their bike for them.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
That’s good, and it helps understand the case for bike shops remaining open where they choose to.

I’ve been a cyclist most of my life, from BMX through road to mountain bikes. In short I love bikes.

Even if I commuted 5 miles around here on the country lanes, my life expectancy would probably be measured in months though.

I went out for a 17 miler this evening, only saw 2 cars on the route, it was great. If only it was like that every day.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hopefully a long term effect of this will be people realising they don't have to put up with a long commute - they'll carry on working from home or look at a job with less travelling.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Hopefully a long term effect of this will be people realising they don't have to put up with a long commute - they'll carry on working from home or look at a job with less travelling.
I hope so, I’ve long believed that if those who can worked from home just 1 day a week, the reduction in traffic and pollution would be very worthwhile.

Cultures need to change, this might be the silver lining.

·
25,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have been astonished for years to see how Donald manages to post on every thread I look at as well as going to work.

I cannot conceive how he can be more omnipresent!

No doubt I will find out.
Seems I have only posted on two of the threads currently appearing in the 30-odd list of 'new' posts.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
DAY 2:

So ..... errrr ..... anyone bored yet?

:devilish:
Day 2 only?
I'm on my second week already :p

Plenty to do, work 7 to 4 then preparing the bike for the new colour :D
Monday got all the paint and bits.
yesterday all the fairings come out (just hope I can fit it all back together again o_Oo_O) and removed the Honda emblems.
Today will be washing it and get it ready for sanding.

·
25,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No. I’m working.
Whether that's true or not, would it not largely hinge on whether other people would consider it "work" that you are doing?

Are you skiving off?
Whether that's true or not, would it not largely hinge on .. etc...

;)

·
25,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Day 2 only?
I'm on my second week already :p

Plenty to do, work 7 to 4 then preparing the bike for the new colour :D
Monday got all the paint and bits.
yesterday all the fairings come out (just hope I can fit it all back together again o_Oo_O) and removed the Honda emblems.
Today will be washing it and get it ready for sanding.
So, errr ... what are you doing with the previous 14 bikes, now they are all washed and painted?

;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
So, errr ... what are you doing with the previous 14 bikes, now they are all washed and painted?

;)
14???
mate, I'm on the 2nd year decorating the house (halfway done) :p
To be done properly the last thing you need is to rush it :D

·
25,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
14???
mate, I'm on the 2nd year decorating the house (halfway done) :p
To be done properly the last thing you need is to rush it :D
Oh, I was just wondering what you'd done with the previous 14 days .... I didn't realise you had a 28 room house! ;)

·
25,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
AAHHH :)
14 days of meditation and encouragement for the task ahead
Riiight! Nice. Should have figured. Repainting a Honda is a Zen activity, needs a spacious time-frame and plenty of head-space.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts