Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What are your top thoughts on the next 3 weeks?

• Waheey! I can spend 3 weeks on speakev!!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • OMG, donald can now spend 3 weeks on speakev!!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Well, that's a good excuse not to visit the in-laws

• I can finally go through that pile of old paperwork

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • At least I've got all the bits to do that DIY job I've not had time in the last 7 years to finish

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I hope the telly doesn't break

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Crisis, what crisis? I'm on holiday

• Total voters
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's been interesting to hear just how many self-employed people have "just started up" and so have never filed tax returns.

There's either been a huge explosion in self employment in the last 12 months or....

Some of these cases will be genuine but for the rest...I'm sorry but if you don't pay in during the good times, you can't expect a pay out in the bad times. You're lucky that the NHS will treat you because you've clearly not been contributing to it...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It’s already pretty normal tbh

I’ve not struggled to get anything in the shops

JJ
Lucky you. I was impressed by how clean our local Sainsburys was. The total veg available in the store was: 2 spring onions.
Would be fun to organise a parade of mummies wrapped in toilet paper 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
I tried that with a few friends in college. We mummified a professor's motorbike. My advice is: make sure of the weather predictions beforehand.

The professor didn't laugh as much as we expected when he found his bike hidden in the sticky mess of the combined toilet paper and rain.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Oddly, the banks seem really keen to help the businesses that require help due to lack of work through the government backed scheme, but not so helpful to those of us who are needing funds to invest for growth right now.
I can understand your frustration!

I assume there are 2 main issues. Firstly, the number of emergency calls is obviously taking its toll on bank business staff resources. This has been obvious from our calls to the bank, simple changes are taking longer than you'd normally expect, and it's been obvious they are making up rescue schemes as they go along.

Secondly, and perversely, lending to a distressed business at this moment is virtually risk-free due both to the Govt loan guarantees and because of the expectation that, if things continue to get worse, the Govt will just continue to throw more money at these businesses.

Conversely, a commercial lending decision to a growing business, which are the only ones not underwritten by the Govt right now, is probably a tough nut in these uncertain times, and demands human and financial resources which are prioritised towards the 'risk-free' distressed businesses.

I know that that's all completely upside down....

With all best wishes for your continued success.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts