Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... or what good habits has your EV got you out of?

My local shops are just under half a mile away, so starting up my car just to drive there and back would have cost a disproportionate amount of fuel to do so, and not been good for the engine either. This weekend, though, I just jumped in the Chevy Volt, happy in the knowledge that I could afford the 3 pence to drive there and back!

I was also thinking about buying myself a decent road bike this summer so I could start cycling to work and back. A saving of around £7.50 per day would have been quite the motivation I needed and the bike would have paid for itself in a summer. But now the EV is costing around £1.20 per day it will take over 6 years for a bike to start to pay its way.

Has anyone else changed any habits since taking the electric plunge?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am with you, I think nothing these days of going 3/4 mile to the local convenience store in the Ampera rather than walking! Apart from that, I can't think of bad or less good habits the car has nudged me into...quite the reverse actually! I've found I drive slower on motorways and A roads, for efficiency, accelerate more smoothly (except when the Sport red mist comes down) and brake earlier.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Some small trips I'd have walked I drive, because of the low energy consumption, lack of fumes. Other than that, pretty good. I probably drive a little less quickly in general too.

·
Registered
661 Posts
yeah I definitely cycle less, which is bad but also I am more willing to drive to places I normally wouldn't bother!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My miles on the bike are down as well, but a lot of that has been due to looking after grandchildren on a regular basis. I'm often so knackered by that that I spend a lot of time asleep in a chair instead of going out on the bike. My wife and I did take the tandem out last night and had a very pleasant 16 miles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
But now the EV is costing around £1.20 per day it will take over 6 years for a bike to start to pay its way.
That's not strictly true though is it? Are the tyres and servicing included in that £1.20?
What about the health benefits of cycling?
I've got a Leaf, but still cycle to work, it's a three mile hop, but with a few side journeys, I rack up well over 1,000 miles/year on my bike. It saved a fortune in diesel and wear 'n' tear, and while it's only saving a smaller amount with the Leaf, it's still money and I'm still fitter than if I drove an extra 1,000 miles...
;) Smug? Who me?

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's not strictly true though is it? Are the tyres and servicing included in that £1.20?
What about the health benefits of cycling?
I've got a Leaf, but still cycle to work, it's a three mile hop, but with a few side journeys, I rack up well over 1,000 miles/year on my bike. It saved a fortune in diesel and wear 'n' tear, and while it's only saving a smaller amount with the Leaf, it's still money and I'm still fitter than if I drove an extra 1,000 miles...
;) Smug? Who me?
You need to add on wear and tear cost to cycling as well. I do 150 km a week and get through a fair amount of components over the year.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
- I've begun to forget what the third pedal in the wife's car does (embarrassing when I shuffle cars around on the drive)
- I too use my bike less
- today I used a petrol pump for the first time in 10 months (anyone know an electric lawnmower?)
- my kids tell me (and everyone else) that I'm an 'EV saddo' as 'I'm now obsessed'.
- I'm always on the lookout for charge points

Reactions: GregH and Paul

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You need to add on wear and tear cost to cycling as well. I do 150 km a week and get through a fair amount of components over the year.
What sort of bike do you ride?

Although I'm, way down this year, I've tried to keep up an 20mpd average over the past 8 years or so, mostly making it. My hub-geared bike (Thorn Raven Sport Tour) is very light on component wear. Mind you, it was expensive (£2000 or so) to buy new, 8 years ago.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,443 Posts
I am actually walking more. Now I have found somewhere that I can plug the car in to recharge I have to walk 1.5 miles to work and then back again at lunchtime to take the car back to the works car park. I tried using the new tram for the first time today, only because I got stuck in traffic on the way in but I am looking for a folding bike that will fit in the boot of the Ampera, I may even try to stretch to a folding electric bike if it will fit in the boot with the seats still up.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
If you want something that fold up really small try a Strida.
They take a bit of getting used to but I used mine to cycle across London and kept up with all but the cycle curriers.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts