Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2017 30kw Tekna and the garage have removed all charging cables from the boot.
As a Leaf noob, I don’t want to be fobbed off by the garage, what cables should it come with?

thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dealer told me I was lucky to be getting the type2-type1 cable with the car. Mind you, they did release the car to me with half flat tyres, an engine bay full of dry leaves and cobwebs and a paint finish that looked as if if had been cleaned with a brillo pad so I can't be too surprised at that. I made the mistake of assuming a Nissan dealer would be as customer focused as a Toyota one so I didn't check everything as carefully as I should have done - I won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
The cables supplied changed but from my experience.
My 2015 you got the granny with the 3.3 charger and the type 2 to type 1 with the 6.6.
2016 my 6.6 came with both.
2017 my 30 3.3 came with both.
As a used vehicle im afraid its buyer beware. Especially when you look on ebay and see how many cables are getting sold. It seems many are making a quick buck but shafting future owners.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Type 2 to type 1 cables are cheap on e-Bay - expect to pay around £100 - as they are "old hat" now with most cars are now type 2. The dealer is correct that one was not supplied as standard by Nissan (a dealer might have thrown one originally to sweeten a sale). If you got the car at a good price then stay happy,if not complain.
If you do choose to buy a lead make sure it is the correct capacity for your car - you need to know if your car is a 6.6 kWh as you'll need a 32 Amp lead to avoid the lead reducing the charging rate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my 30 kWh Leaf a couple of weeks ago from a Nissan dealer and before viewing asked if it came with both cables. Initially I was told yes but then the dealer called back to say the 2017 cars only came with the granny charger. (Not sure I believed that). As mine is a 6.6 kw charger I thought the investment in a type 2 to type 1 was worthwhile and bought mine from EV One Stop (https://evonestop.co.uk/products/ev-electric-vehicle-charging-cable-type-1-to-type-2-16-32-amp-5-10-metre) who were great to deal with and the cable arrived next day, free delivery. I also bought the cable bag for £5 plus vat and was very pleased with that. Be careful when ordering that you do select the 32 amp cable if you have the 6.6 amp charger.

I thought I would be doing most of my charging at home but with type 2 chargers free to use in several locations like shopping centres it’s great to have in the boot. It is not just the saving on leccy but journeys are more enjoyable as I can drive the car without always having to have one eye on the range so can cruise at 70 mph and have the heater on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. Mine is only a 3.3 but I’ve just purchased a type 1 to type 2 cable and it will be delivered before the car is!!!

I expect to be charging away from home and absolutely no chance on me or the wife driving without heating. That’s a compromise too far in my opinion.

I think once a week I’ll be doing a 150 mile trip in it. Hoping I’ll just need one charge to get it done. Might be in a standard car park charger whilst I’m in a meeting but that maybe too slow so might need a rapid charge on a CHAdeMO.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As Dave says, it depends. If yours is a 3.6 kWh then multiply that by your typical consumption figure of miles / kWh (mine is between 3.6 and 4.6 depending on the weather and how fast the roads are) and you'll find out how quickly you gain range (so 13 - 16.5 miles every hour). If you need more in the time available consider using a Rapid via the CHAdeMO where you can get from 20% to 80% in 30 minutes, but they slow considerably as they approach 100% so it depends how far through your trip you are at the time, i.e. if you need close to 100% to complete the trip it'll take a lot longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts