Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Nissan Leaf (40 kWh)(2018-present).

"...our top used electric car combines all the practicality of a family hatchback with a smooth, near-silent driving experience, and all for a price that’s within reach of the many, not the few..."

"...We reckon it represents much better value for money than the excellent but pricey Jaguar I-Pace, and its bigger battery gives it greater usability than the rival Volkswagen e-Golf. It’s more reliable than the Renault Zoe, too, and is more polished than the budget-priced MG ZS EV..."

What Car?: The best used cars you can buy

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,432 Posts
The bigger battery than e-Golf doesn't mean squat when you are rapidgating. Clearly traditional motor journalists don't tested EV's the way Bjorn tests EV's.

Ioniq 30 kWh would get my money if I were to buy now. Efficiency is king, not battery size.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
335 Posts
I agree a used 1st gen Ioniq is much better value than the leaf, think I'd put the ZS ahead of it as well!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bigger battery than e-Golf doesn't mean squat when you are rapidgating
To be fair, the e-Golf does not have active battery cooling either, so also has the potential to suffer similar issues with rapid charge throttling as the LEAF.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally I'd struggle to justify paying £22k for a year old Leaf considering you can get a discounted new MG ZS for around the same money.

I'd agree that at the cheaper end (£6-10k) of the market a Mk1 Leaf makes sense, but there is a lot better choice when you go above £20k.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,970 Posts
To be fair, the e-Golf does not have active battery cooling either, so also has the potential to suffer similar issues with rapid charge throttling as the LEAF.

I’ve experienced a bit of it once on the 4th rapid charge in succession on a hot day, but by then I’d covered nearly 400 miles, and even then only mild. Something like down to 35kw from the usual 40kw.

Whatever pouch cells it’s using seem to be good ones.

The 40kw leaf would be a fine car for most people, ie those who won’t need to do 1000km in one go!

That extra 5kwh battery capacity over an e-Golf would be handy at times as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts