Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Londoners,

I would like to visit London either this December or next January driving my Outlander PHEV and I have a couple of practical questions.

1) What RFID card/app should I get/use for charging in Southwark? or are there any PAYG or free charging options? Or should I just not bother?
2) Is parking free whilst charging?
3) What is the best app to use in London to find chargers?

It sounds like a jungle out there compared to the Netherlands...
Any suggestions welcome!

Kind regards

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
#3 - ZapMap Plugshare

#1 #2 I shall leave for others to comment, I think it varies massively.
If you're only there a couple of days and unlikely to use the cards/apps/schemes elsewhere in the UK then even more reason not to waste effort.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
1. You need to sign up to Source London (sourcelondon.net) to get a card but frankly it's not worth doing if you are in a PHEV. £4 per month plus £2.16 per hour to charge.
2. Parking is free while charging but parking is also free in Westminster, just across the river from Southwark, whether you are charging or not.
3. Source London has the official app which shows live availability of its chargers in Southwark.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thx Garyk,
I could not find how long you could park for in Westminster with an electric or PHEV, Electric vehicles | Westminster City Council suggests it is ONLY during charging.
You can park in any chargeable parking bay for the maximum duration allowed, typically four hours. Check that you are definitely in a chargeable bay though (not for residents) and that it is not suspended (yellow signs are used to indicate this during building works).

There is also a convenient app to help you find an available parking space: ParkRight app: find parking in Westminster | Westminster City Council

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thx Garyk,
I could not find how long you could park for in Westminster with an electric or PHEV, Electric vehicles | Westminster City Council suggests it is ONLY during charging.

Oh btw, I do have an old Ecotricity card if that is any use.
You can also park for free in any pay and display/pay by phone for the maximum allowed which is 4 hrs, put a little reminder in the dashboard that ur car is electric and free to park in Westminster. as for the charging, there are some bays around st james square in london in which it accepts any RFID card including ecotricity .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts