Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivery coming soon and just been informed that it will only include the granny charger, is this standard for this model? Thanks!

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
101 Posts
Delivery coming soon and just been informed that it will only include the granny charger, is this standard for this model? Thanks!
You should get a granny charger and a Type 2 to Type 2 cable with the car. To use the latter you need to provide your own home charger (EVSE) or use a public charger. I got an EO Mini home charger installed with the OLEV grant paying for some of the cost (£350 I think)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought, just confused as to why they are saying it only comes with a granny charger now

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should get a granny charger and a Type 2 to Type 2 cable with the car. To use the latter you need to provide your own home charger (EVSE) or use a public charger. I got an EO Mini home charger installed with the OLEV grant paying for some of the cost (£350 I think)
I have installed a home charger with a tethered cable. Much more useful (in my opinion) than constantly having to fold up the charging cable and put it in the car when you go somewhere. That way the type 2 cable is always in the car if you need it when away and the home charger is always ready without worrying about getting the cable out of the boot.

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4 ordered 1 Sept, due whenever EST approve my Scottish Government EV loan...
18 Posts
Quick question: what is the length of the supplied granny charger? Getting prepared for my delivery later this month and trying to work out what (if any) extension lead I need to buy for when I use it at the in-laws house. Following advice on this forum I'll be doing due diligence on their sockets with a socket tester and ensuring I buy a suitably rated extension lead if I do need one. Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Please read this old thread re our near miss charging our old Leaf with an extension lead:

·
Registered
MY2020 Kia e-Niro 4 ordered 1 Sept, due whenever EST approve my Scottish Government EV loan...
18 Posts
Please read this old thread re our near miss charging our old Leaf with an extension lead:

Thanks, niggle. I've read a bunch but hadn't seen your thread. Yes – I'm definitely cognizant that charging off a domestic socket has to done with care. If I use an extension lead the plan was this one from tough leads (uncoiled when in use). Suggestions about an IR temperature gun are good – I have one so I'll put that in the car.

But fingers crossed an extension won't be needed if the granny charger cable is long enough – would be awesome if someone can check theirs.

Charging at the in-laws is something we'd only do once a month. I'd love to install a charge point but it seems very expensive for such occasional use. I don't qualify for an OLEV grant at my flat (no off street parking) so I wondered about trying to use it at the in-laws, but that doesn't seem permissable what with not living there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quick question: what is the length of the supplied granny charger? Getting prepared for my delivery later this month and trying to work out what (if any) extension lead I need to buy for when I use it at the in-laws house. Following advice on this forum I'll be doing due diligence on their sockets with a socket tester and ensuring I buy a suitably rated extension lead if I do need one. Thanks!
I just went to measure it: it's just shy of 5 meters.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
220 Posts
Thanks, niggle. I've read a bunch but hadn't seen your thread. Yes – I'm definitely cognizant that charging off a domestic socket has to done with care. If I use an extension lead the plan was this one from tough leads (uncoiled when in use). Suggestions about an IR temperature gun are good – I have one so I'll put that in the car.
The lead is not the problem but the socket can be. I got a custom made 12 metres lead with 2.5mm cable. I had an electrician come over and the socket I charge from already had 2.5 mm cable and is on a 20 amps circuit. Tonight I charged for 11 hours at 10 amps and the plug was at most lukewarm. If you stay at the inlaws a lot, you might consider upgrading the socket and the cable to it to avoid possible issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just went to measure it: it's just shy of 5 meters.
Thanks for this! 5m is what I guessed which, of course, is going to be just too short for my needs.

The lead is not the problem but the socket can be. I got a custom made 12 metres lead with 2.5mm cable. I had an electrician come over and the socket I charge from already had 2.5 mm cable and is on a 20 amps circuit. Tonight I charged for 11 hours at 10 amps and the plug was at most lukewarm. If you stay at the inlaws a lot, you might consider upgrading the socket and the cable to it to avoid possible issues.
I've had a look at the wiring and it seems reasonable, as does the consumer unit, which was recently replaced. But the socket itself is decrepit so I'll definitely be replacing this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Check the fuse contacts on a regular basis, when we started using it the plug never got above luke warm, so I became over confident.

Actually I am wondering if it would be worth putting something on the fuse contacts to protect against corrosion, e.g. battery terminal grease.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Duly noted. I re-read your other thread, niggle, and noticed your suggestion of an extension lead with a thermal cut out in the plug -- which sounds like a very sensible idea. What one did you end up using?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts